It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libraries in the Sand Reveal Africa's Academic Past

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   
has anyone posted about this yet? if so please direct me to the thread and close this one..I just found this on AOL news while checking my mail. This is a very interesting topic.

here is a link to the page:

articles.news.aol.com...?ncid=NWS00010000000001

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Nice find, and no it hasn't been discussed.

The climate's an excellent one for preserving texts. We've long known that there were excellent Arabic scholars (these books are written in Arabic) -- but many of the texts have been lost. It's exciting to see the town taking an interest in preserving these books!

BTW, this also is a problem elsewhere. Only the most reknowned books are available at any given time.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
This is most excellent. Depending on the depth of the texts, information contained within could change the direction of many theoretical beliefs.

In math for example, a set of a few characters and numbers can change the course of science.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I've become rather difficult to impress on ATS, so keep that in mind when I say:

You have voted captinofcats for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

This, to me, is a massive find. There is very little (or, rather, was, I should say) written historical records from Africa. This find will both shed much light on African history, and hopefully convince some people that Africa is not and was not a 'backwards' continent. Anyone who has actually studied any history already knows that Africa had many advanced cultures, but the average person is not aware of that, I think, other than the famous ancient Egyptians.

HUGE find! Good job! This is what ATS is all about...

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Well, it's about damn time!

This is an exciting find. I can't wait to read them, once they're translated.

Byrd, you mentionned Arabic, but the language of the texts wasn't noted in the article. Do you have another source?

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by HarlemHottie
Byrd, you mentionned Arabic, but the language of the texts wasn't noted in the article. Do you have another source?

The pictures of the books that accompany the article. That's Arabic script. I can't *read* it, mind you, but I know it when I see it!

[edit on 15-11-2006 by Byrd]

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Truly fascinating find…. 150,000 text and they say that represents only 10%….that's just staggering!

That gets a Way Above vote!

[edit on 16-11-2006 by MrMysterious]

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
It is a great find and a priceless cultural treasure, dont get me wrong ... i am impressed , but :

written in Arabic , from the 16th century ?

that makes them quite late , after the influx of arabic culture land learning had advanced and retreated through the area several times

were these "abandoned " in a retreat from ganada ? as to heavy to ship any further ?

i dont mean this to be a political snipe , but president Mbeki said :

the documents will "restore the self respect, the pride, honor and dignity of the people of Africa."

what ? how does the lost treasures of a foreign colonial invader - the arabs restore African pride ??

am i missing something ?

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
It is a great find and a priceless cultural treasure, dont get me wrong ... i am impressed , but : written in Arabic , from the 16th century ?

And copies of earlier books. Many have been lost or are not reported in lists of books. This fills in an important gap in history and copies of books translated into other languages (like a copy of Archimedes translated into Arabic) helps confirm more recent copies or expand our knowledge of older and more fragmentary texts.

Some of our older books (manuscripts before 400 AD) come from libraries such as these.

were these "abandoned " in a retreat from ganada ? as to heavy to ship any further ?

More likely simply abandoned as the area lost ground cultureally and became a backwater (thanks in part to the rise of fundamentalism) rather than an important scholarly center. They were kept or discarded as "that old book of great-great grandpa's that nobody can read anyway."

We don't have many English books from that same period because of the same thing... they were discarded (and there weren't many copies in the first place.)

what ? how does the lost treasures of a foreign colonial invader - the arabs restore African pride ??

am i missing something ?

You are. That part of Africa is poor and often under-mentioned in history. To have a treasure discovered there of that nature is something that is exciting to them. In the future, these texts will be tagged with their point of origin, reminding people who come across them that this nation was once a very important and scholarly area that preserved knowledge during the time of Europe's dark ages.

new topics

top topics

join