It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. vetoes resolution condemning Israeli hostilities

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Of course John Pupet Bolton vetoed a resolution condeming Israeli hostilities killing 19 Palestinians last week.
Those fools don't seem to understand that it only leads to more violence and rancour against the US. And why? What is the reason to be so biased in favor of Israel, is it the American view? And even then those guys down there in Washington DC wonder why there's so much (Muslim) hate towards the US. Bush said ''They don't like our liberities''. Well I'm pretty sure that's not the reason why.

The text of the resolution, which was sponsored by Arab states, also condemned the firing of rockets by Palestinian fighters into Israel.

It would also have called on the diplomatic Quartet consisting of the United Nations, United States, European Union and Russian Federation to take immediate steps to stabilize the situation, including through the possible establishment of “an international mechanism for the protection of the civilian populations.”

Source

Which Bolton defines as ''biased''.

I might also add the contents of the resolution:

The Security Council,

“Reaffirming it previous resolutions 242 (1967), 338 (1973), 446 (1979), 1322 (2000), 1397 (2002), 1402 (2002), 1403 (2002), 1405 (2002), 1435 (2002), 1515 (2003), and 1544 (2004),

“Reaffirming the applicable rules and principles of international law, including humanitarian and human rights laws, in particular the Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War of 12 August 1949,

“Expressing its grave concern at the continued deterioration of the situation on the ground in the Palestinian Territory occupied by Israel since 1967, during the recent period, particularly as a result of the excessive and disproportionate use of force by Israel, the occupying Power, which has caused extensive loss of civilian Palestinian life and injuries, including among children and women,

“Condemning the military operations being carried out by Israel, the occupying Power, in the Gaza Strip, in particular the attack that took place in Beit Hanoun on 8 November 2006, which have caused loss of civilian life and extensive destruction of Palestinian property and vital infrastructure,

“Condemning also the firing of rockets from Gaza into Israel,

“1. Calls upon Israel, the occupying Power, to immediately cease its military operations that endangers the Palestinian civilian population in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem, and to immediately withdraw its forces from within the Gaza Strip to positions prior to 28 June 2006;

“2. Calls for an immediate halt of all acts of violence and military activities between the Israeli and Palestinian side as was agreed in the Sharm El-Sheikh understandings of 8 February 2005;

“3. Requests the Secretary-General to establish a fact-finding mission on the attack that took place in Beit Hanoun on 8 November 2006 within thirty days;

“4. Calls upon Israel, the occupying Power, to scrupulously abide by its obligations and responsibilities under the Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War of 12 August 1949;“5. Calls upon the Palestinian Authority to take immediate and sustained action to bring an end to violence, including the firing of rockets on Israeli territory;

“6. Emphasizes the need to preserve the Palestinian institutions, infrastructure and properties;

“7. Expresses grave concern about the dire humanitarian situation of the Palestinian people and calls for the provision of emergency assistance to them;

“8. Calls upon the international community, including the Quartet, to take immediate steps, to stabilize the situation and restart the peace process, including through the possible establishment of an international mechanism for protection of the civilian populations;

“9. Calls upon the parties supported by the international community to take immediate steps including confidence-building measures, with the objective of resuming peace negotiations;

“10. Stresses the importance of, and the need to achieve, a just, comprehensive, and lasting peace in the Middle East, based on all its relevant resolutions including its resolutions 242 (1967), 338 (1973), 1397 (2002) and 1515 (2003), the Madrid terms of reference, the principle of land for peace, the Arab Peace Initiative adopted by the League of Arab States Summit in March 2002 in Beirut and the Road Map;

UN

UNITED NATIONS (AP) — The United States vetoed Saturday a U.N. Security Council draft resolution that sought to condemn an Israeli military offensive in the Gaza Strip and demand that Israeli troops pull out of the territory.

U.S. Ambassador John Bolton said the United States was "disturbed" that the Arab-backed draft resolution was "biased against Israel and politically motivated."

"This resolution does not display an evenhanded characterization of the recent events in Gaza, nor does it advance the cause of Israeli-Palestinian peace to which we aspire and for which we are working assiduously," he told the Security Council.

It was the second U.S. veto of a Security Council draft resolution concerning Israeli military operations in Gaza this year. The U.S. blocked action on a document this summer after Israel launched its offensive in response to the capture of an Israeli soldier by Hamas-linked Palestinian militants

Source

The United States vetoed a UN draft resolution that would have called for an end to Israeli attacks and "disproportionate use of force" in the Gaza Strip as well as for the release of a kidnapped Israeli soldier.

The Security Council resolution received 10 votes, one against from the United States with four abstentions, French Ambassador Jean-Marc de la Sabliere, the council president for July, announced.

Source

[edit on 11-11-2006 by Mdv2]

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   

U.S. Ambassador John Bolton said the United States was "disturbed" that the Arab-backed draft resolution was "biased against Israel and politically motivated."

Mr. Bolton is a smart man. Notice, Arab backed. Not politically motivated? Please. Israel is doing exactly what any nation on earth would do in their situation, they act in a perfectly logical manor and nothing near "illegal". It is just those who hate Israel for no reason except to hate Israel, or maybe they are to sensitive for war (unless it is Palestinians murdering innocent civilians) those people are the ones who don't support anything Israel has done or ever will do. Look at Russia and the rebels to the south. Same thing.

Imagine Mexico lobbing bombs at us. How long before we had F16's flying over head and troops on the ground? A few hours at the most huh. But only then .. until it happens do we begin to see the truth.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
The resolution was condemning the killings in gaza that recently took place, it did hapen, didint it?
Why veto it? this is the question, why veto?
So a bunch of hot shoot soldiers kill inocent people and then they say, sorry it was a mistake.
I'm glad, we europians know better, when time will come for that big resolution against iran I'm sure the germans, the russians or the french will put a big veto on it.
Why are arabs on the second place, arent they people just like us?
Why do israel masacre people and then get away with it, the asnwer is UNITED STATES goverment.
I personaly dislike bolton the us abmasador to united states, he is pathetic, I hope the democrats change him soon, also glad the democrats won in the US.
Maybe next time israel wont get away with it when they commit such acts.

[edit on 11-11-2006 by pepsi78]

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Imagine Mexico lobbing bombs at us. How long before we had F16's flying over head and troops on the ground? A few hours at the most huh. But only then .. until it happens do we begin to see the truth.

So we're going to use examples, huh? I've a very nice one for you.

Imagine that Israel would capture two Iranian soldiers in Lebanon, and Iran in response would fire a massive number of missiles on Israel, like Israel would say ''in the name of self-defence.'' Would you think that John Pupet Bolton would also veto Israeli resolutions against Iran? I don't think so.

What would happen then, is that pro-Israelis -who justified the aggressive Israeli response of last summer in Lebanon - would go mad and condemn Iranian missile attacks.

[edit on 11-11-2006 by Mdv2]

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Mr. Bolton is a smart man.

Your giving him too much credit, he is just a pupet.

Notice, Arab backed. Not politically motivated?

This was not an answer to politics, but to an act .
Polictics are polictics and killing people is killing people.
What hapend in gaza didin't look like politics to me.

You didin't exactly come and proclaimed your self as a country in the middle of mexico did you?
If you did you would problay have mexican insurgents.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   
What anybody expects our country along with the Israel help needs to keep festering the resentment of the muslin world against Israel and the US so the War on terror keep having a meaning.

Like that is easier to justified any attacks and ivasions in the middle east.

The only people been deceived is us, while our tax payer money is used to help fester the resentment.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Israel is doing exactly what any nation on earth would do in their situation, they act in a perfectly logical manor and nothing near "illegal".

I think that it is illegal to treat an occupied area in a different way from the rest of the country.

When Israel occupied those areas they became responsible for the well-being of all the people who live there, regardless of what they do.

Are there criminals in those areas? Bring them to justice, just like the other people, do not bomb a house to kill a criminal.

Imagine the same situation in New York.
If the US government knew that there were terrorists living and preparing attacks against the US government in, for instance, Brooklyn, did you expect them to use helicopter attacks, F16 attacks and artillery attacks on some areas of Brooklyn just to kill those terrorists?

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   
its funny how people jump out in the deffence of israel finding any excuess or reason to justify the murder or women and children kind of pathetic.
wont say who but i hope that one day those who justify murder get what they deserve

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
its funny how people jump out in the deffence of israel finding any excuess or reason to justify the murder or women and children kind of pathetic.
wont say who but i hope that one day those who justify murder get what they deserve

It is funny how people jump out to condemn the Israeli government and see through the actions that provoked a bombing. But that wouldn't matter because the joos are the ones doing it and that is all that matters right?

Bolton is not a puppet, he is a ambassador. He does not make decisions on his own, he does what the white house wants him to do. Republican or Democrat, we would not have condemned Israel because Israel is at war. Last I checked civilians are undesirable collateral damage. When Hammas stops firing rockets, then I will take their side and condemn Israel. If Israel launches rockets or flattens a town because a rocket came from there, I see nothing wrong with their actions.

to the guy that said Israel should not treat the Palestinians any worse or better then their own civilians you are absolutely correct. When Palestinians stop trying to kill Israelis anyways. Kind of hard to be nice to someone that wants to launch that one last rocket before a peace treaty is signed.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Let me ask you this. How many people are sad when they see that a Palestinian suicide bomber, or a rocket has hit a market, a club, a house in Israel and innocent people die? How many actually care about that? How many people would take the time to post a thread condemning the attacks? ...

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Let me ask you this. How many people are sad when they see that a Palestinian suicide bomber, or a rocket has hit a market, a club, a house in Israel and innocent people die? How many actually care about that? How many people would take the time to post a thread condemning the attacks? ...

hmmm i dont get it
the resolution was condemning 2 sides not only israel.

It was condemning palestine for launching rockets , and condemning israel for the masacre that just took place.
So again why veto it?
since this resolution has nothing to do with politics since actual people died as a result of military action I don't see how bolton justifies the veto.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78
hmmm i dont get it
the resolution was condemning 2 sides not only israel.

It was condemning palestine for launching rockets , and condemning israel for the masacre that just took place.
So again why veto it?
since this resolution has nothing to do with politics since actual people died as a result of military action I don't see how bolton justifies the veto.

what else do u expect from these people?
they dont take a crap about palistain deaths just israeli

whats the biggets joke is if you say anything against israel these people will use the only thing they know you are anti semtic or what ever it is called.

you are not aloud to condeme israeli acts of violance

also to rockpuck i do care
i care for every person that is killed regardless of colour, faith (maybe you dont) i do

[edit on 11-11-2006 by bodrul]

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I am increasingly surprized that someone hasn't decided to end Isreal once and for all. They have been nothing but trouble since their inception. They repeatedly ignore international laws, and illegally have WMD's. They actively promote a zionist philosophy and have attacked other nations openly who are there for peace keeping missions - to say nothing of attacking and killing red cross workers on humanitarian missions.

They are a joke, and the only reason they can get away with it publically is that they have conditioned the masses to feel sorry about what happened to them in WW2, something I might add those who are paying the price today from Isreal aggression had nothing to do with.

The only way they get away with it internationally is the US is their bitch.

Things seem to be changing though. The US is tied down in Iraq, and if Isreal does decide to make good on it's threat to hit Iran, then I think Iran may try to make good on their threat to remove the zionist regime. You know, liberate the Jews.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   
The United States stance on all Israeli confrontations is to let it run it's course until a political figure that is not in any way associated with a terrorist organization (whether or not you think Hammas is entirely 'terrorist' is regardless in the way America has labeled them) the United States will not stand in Israels way for a second while it wages war against any ideology or organized militia. The stance is that since peace cannot be attained while Hammas is in control Israels only option is to forge an aggressive war against the terror organizations in an attempt to punish and possibly prevent another terrorist attack from occurring.

During the peace talks under Arafat buses where blown up, teens at night clubs where incinerated in suicide attacks and business men kidnapped. Israel played a defensive part mostly, with incursions when they had a suspicion of safe house or a depot for bombs, or assassinate political figures that led the attacks. When the peace talks failed and the new Israeli government took power their new direction was to wage a war that will punish instead of prevent, or in Lebanon's case a war of terror that will cause the people to be punished for allowing the governments support of these organizations. The Israelis will never prevent an attack, and their strategies will never actually work in prevention.. they simply want complete dominance over the region until a plan can be formulated for stable peace. Until that plan is in place America will not support any UN involvement with Israel, allowing them to run the course it wishes to run. More then likely Israel will increase the amount of terrorism against them, but that is not America's problem. Israel is a big boy. They will handle them selves.

Both sides should be punished for their inhumane actions. Israel does indeed deserve an end to economic aid because of some of the tactics they used, including using phosphorus inside a city to light the sky for soldiers (while they used them for vision, they did not regard the lives it would take when dropped in civilian territory, a complete disregard for life) and attacking ambulances, attacking hospitals and schools and unnecessarily killing or assassinating civilian voices within the Palestinian community, which is what caused the death in those bombings. Assassinations of political voices are against international law.

Palestine is also completely disregards any humane law. Instead of firing at troops they target civilians, instead of openly attacking they hide in civilians homes and public buildings. They call for the destruction of Israel and have no desire to actually live beside, but instead to absorb Israel and move those within it's borders else where. Often they provoke Israelis into coming into an area where they know for a fact civilians will die, to use their deaths as a weapon. Hammas and Hezbollah are very effective with using the media as a weapon, and often it works.

The reason economic aid cannot be cut off to Israel is because of the fact that if Israelis feel that they are punished because Palestinians attacked them, the war would take a turn for the most extreme worse. That is complete support for mass killings of Palestinians and openly engaging in war with anyone suspected of supporting them (that is, Syria, Lebanon, Egypt and Iran.)

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Bodrul i condemn Israels actions often, most of the time ignored because I also blame Palestinians or I blame Hezbollah because those 2 organizations ARE NOT REPRESENTING THE PEOPLE. They use and manipulate the people they are charged to protect. Often assuming it is their business to wage war on Israel instead of the governments. Their actions are the direct cause of the chaos that ensues over there and not for a second will I ever feel for the organizations that do that to their own people. For Palestine they deserve a state, and peace and all that Israel had the opportunity for.. but not if they continue using the tactics they use. They are unorthodox and often cold blood murder. Israel to needs to be held accountable for all they do wrong, including the Lebanese war, where Israel should forfeit all foreign aid and give it to the Lebanese government to help rebuild their nation.

It is not a one sided I stand with Israel deal here, at least with me I am very middle of the road.. but I don't think that stance is respected much.. in fact you would rather I stand with you, or with Israel supporters. But while both parties act like barbarians both will get treated as such. And most often I come off as supporting Israel because I feel the need to repute the "oh feel sorry for poor Palestinians because big mean Israel bombed them for no reason" because that is not true at all.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 06:48 PM
link   

to the guy that said Israel should not treat the Palestinians any worse or better then their own civilians you are absolutely correct. When Palestinians stop trying to kill Israelis anyways. Kind of hard to be nice to someone that wants to launch that one last rocket before a peace treaty is signed.

I suppose you are referring to what I said, so I will answer.

Yes, it must be hard to be nice to someone who wants to kill you, but we are not talking about schoolyard bullies here, we are talking about international treaties.

And Israel knew that when they occupied the Palestinian territories, they knew that they had to be as responsible to the people there as they are to the ones in Israel, regardless of their actions.

This kind of thing isn't something we apply just when we want and we forget when we do not want it.

This was the reason why Indonesia was accused by the international community, because of the way they treated the people in East Timor, because it was an occupied territory, and they were treated in a different, brutal way, just because they were in that area.

I am not blaming the "joos" or what you want to call them (and nobody else blamed any "joos", we are talking about Israel and Palestine), I was only answering to what you said, that:

Israel is doing exactly what any nation on earth would do in their situation, they act in a perfectly logical manor and nothing near "illegal".

I said I thought it was illegal, and if it really is illegal, then it is illegal regardless of the reasons they invoke, that's all.

Let me ask you this. How many people are sad when they see that a Palestinian suicide bomber, or a rocket has hit a market, a club, a house in Israel and innocent people die? How many actually care about that? How many people would take the time to post a thread condemning the attacks?

The sadness I get when I see an innocent killed is always the same, regardless of the country of origin, race, religion, sex.

Today I saw on TV, on two different occasions, two children killed.
My reaction was the same on both cases, one a girl killed in that Israeli attack that was the reason for the UN resolution, the other another little girl killed in Iraq by a roadside bomb or a suicide attack.

But I get angrier when those innocent victims are victims of actions from a state rather than from the actions of a person. A person has his responsibilities towards society, but a state has even more responsibilities towards the people, their own people or the people from other states. That is what makes it a state that can be recognized as a piece of all the political puzzle.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   
My reply would be to read above post. ^

The outcry against Israel is far greater then the out cry against Palestine, when Palestinian political or terrorist groups cause the killings through their actions. If Israel had no one to hunt down, they wouldn't be in Gaza. the sad thing is these groups in Palestine LOVE civilian casualties on their side. Just love em, see, it gives them more power.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Israel should not get a free pass on this one. The US is losing credibility in the world because it can never once stand up and criticize Israel or its friends.. not once! This has to change or else the United States is not an independent country and certainly not a superpower.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 07:46 PM
link   
The U.S. never did anything when Israeli jets attacked the U.S.S. Liberty. Why should they do anything about them now???

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   

It is not a one sided I stand with Israel deal here, at least with me I am very middle of the road.. but I don't think that stance is respected much.. in fact you would rather I stand with you, or with Israel supporters. But while both parties act like barbarians both will get treated as such. And most often I come off as supporting Israel because I feel the need to repute the "oh feel sorry for poor Palestinians because big mean Israel bombed them for no reason" because that is not true at all.

i very doubt ur in the middle road more on israels
you seem to find anything and form of way to justify israels attacks on palistinians.

you say
you dont blame hazbullah or hamas because they dont represent the people
last time i checked they were voted in by the people thanks to the choke the israelis have on them.

Israel have kept on target attacks even during cease fires giving reason for palistains to retaliate and giving israels a bigger chance to bomb a building or demolish one.

also you say the israelis wouldnt have anyone to hunt down?
each time they kill an entire family they create a suicide bomber.

here is a question to you and answer truthfully

your entire family are killed and it was by accident because they were after someone else. what would you do?

except it and say oh well atleast im alive screw my family
or do something?

anyhow i wont try to explain my self any more to you

top topics

<<   2 >>

join