It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hamas Will Bow Out If Aid Is Restored

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Hamas said it will step down from their government positions if Palestine's international aid is restored. Aid could have been could have been restored while Hamas was involved in the government if three conditions were met, (1) recognize Israel's right to exist, (2) stop the violence, (3) and support Palestinian - Israeli plans for a two state solution. Hamas would not except these conditions so aid was halted.

www.sciencedaily.com
GAZA, Nov. 10 (UPI) -- Palestinian Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh said during Friday prayers in Gaza his Hamas party will dismantle its government if international aid resumes.

The New York Times reported the prime minister said he would step down so a unity government "more acceptable" to aid donors could take over. Haniyeh told worshippers, "Let us end the siege and let us end the suffering of the Palestinian people."

Haniyeh's decision was an admission Hamas could not run the Palestinian Authority "on its own terms," the Times said, and that a new government was already forming behind the scenes.

The newspaper said Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas is negotiating with "technocrats" to create the new government

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm sure that when the Palestinian people elected Hamas "politicians" they didn't realize how the rest of the international community would react to them being elected to run their country, or how much worse things would get with them in power.

Maybe now, if Hamas actually does step down, when the new government is formed these two countries can find solutions they can both agree on and can stop the hostilities.

But then again, all these Hamas "politicians" are going to be out of work. Hamas still has its militia. It is probably just a matter of time before violence breaks out again. What else would these Hamas "political" leaders do with all their free time.

[edit on 11/11/06 by Keyhole]

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   
That must be one the few, if not only, case of a democratically elected government being turned down by the people of other countries, must be the new type of democracy.

I think that we could apply this new democracy in other places, if we don't like the government we boycott them.

Seriously, I think that even the Hamas was expecting something like this, after all they do not cooperate with the international community as they should, but it is still a sign that a democracy means nothing in a global world.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I think it's a lot more complicated than that ArMaP, there would be no problem if the Palestinian goverment was self-sufficient and their people prosperous, but groups like Hamas have this impossible. Now they have to take handouts from other countries just to survive, and there's nothing that says those donating countries have to continue to support them without any conditions.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I think it's a lot more complicated than that ArMaP, there would be no problem if the Palestinian goverment was self-sufficient and their people prosperous, but groups like Hamas have this impossible.

Yes, I know, but it is still a democratically elected government.

If Hamas was considered an illegal party then they couldn't have been elected, maybe the international pressure should have been first in that way and not ignoring what the people had chosen after.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

If Hamas was considered an illegal party then they couldn't have been elected, maybe the international pressure should have been first

Hamas had been labeled a Terrorist Organization long before they were elected.

The Palestinian people should have known that Hamas would not be the best "political" party to represent their country on an international level.

Free aid to terrorists? I think not!

Hamas will have to find another way to support their terrorist machine and tactics.

[edit on 11/11/06 by Keyhole]

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Keyhole
Hamas had been labeled a Terrorist Organization long before they were elected.
Are they considered a terrorist organization on Palestine? That was what I was talking about, they should be considered illegal so they could not enter the elections.

The Palestinian people should have known that Hamas would not be the best "political" party to represent their country on an international level.

That is something for which I do not have an answer, I do not know how much the Palestinian people know about their position in the international diplomacy.

top topics

join