It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by Seekerof
These two aircraft/helicopters are built to serve different functions and capacities within each's respective nations.....
"Head-to-head" means what?
* Actual fight: each against the other?
Originally posted by Seekerof
First off.......the AH-64A Apache is #nick to this: An AH-64D Apache Longbow!
Just a few reasons why its #nick? Here:
* "is 4 times as lethal (hitting more targets) than the AH-64A, the most capable and advanced armed helicopter in the world until Apache Longbow entered service
* is 7 times as survivable than the AH-64A
* meets or exceeds U.S. Army requirements for both target engagement range and for probability of acquiring a selected target (specific requirements and results are classified)
* can easily detect and engage moving and stationary targets on an obscured battlefield at maximum range when optical systems are rendered ineffective
* can use multiple sensors either individually or in concert with one another to detect and engage targets which dramatically increases mission area flexibility
* has the ability to initiate the radar scan, detect and classify more than 128 targets, prioritize the 16 most dangerous targets, transmit the information to other aircraft, and initiate a precision fire and forget attack – all in less than a minute
* requires one third less maintenance man-hours (3.4) per flight hour than the military requirement.
And per this site:
* "Are 400 percent more lethal (hitting more targets) than the AH-64A, already the most capable and advanced armed helicopter in the world to enter service.
* Are 720 percent more survivable than the AH-64A.
* Meet or exceed Army requirements for both target engagement range and for probability of acquiring a seleted target. The specific requirements and results are classified.
* Easily can hit moving and stationary tanks on an obscured, dirty battlefield from a range of more than 7 kilometers, when optical systems are rendered ineffective.
* Can use either its Target Acquisition Designation Sight or fire control radar as a targeting sight, offering increased battlefield flexibility.
* Have the ability to initiate the radar scan, detect and classify more than 128 targets, prioritize the 16 most dangerous targets, transmit the information to other aircraft, and initiate a precision attack -- all in 30 seconds or less.
* Require one third less maintenance man hours (3.4) per flight hour than the requirement.
* Are able to fly 91 percent of the time -- 11 percent more than the requirement."
"Boeings AH-64 Apache"
"AH-64A/D APACHE ATTACK HELICOPTER, USA"
Speed is no significance to me...they both are very agile and maneuverable. The Mi-28A/N holds a slight advantage here.
The Mi-28A/N can carry how many A2A missiles?
Oh, boy....for a battlefield attack GROUND SUPPORT helicopter...thats a MUST HAVE right?
I'll take the ability to carry 16 Hellfire Missiles if you will...thank you! On top of that...the abiltiy to carry the Thermobaric Hellfire Missiles....nuff said.
Oh...and a range of 8-12 km........
The Longbow is my choice.......I don't need no stinking helicopter that has the best stats in everything....I need one that is battle proven and deadly.
But to be perfectly fair and honest.....they are both exceptional effective killing machines and would make any nation brim with pride to have them annihilating anything and everything.
Originally posted by THENEO
I think the Russian copter is a direct rip off of the Apache.
Since it likely has inferior electronics and weapons then the idea was to make it as difficult to shoot it down as possible hopefully giving it a chance for one good strike against any american offering going up against it.
Originally posted by soothsayer
I know the Apache, but have never heard of the Mi-28. What ever happened to the Hind's? How does the 28 compare to those?
For my two cents worth... if these Mi-28's compare well to the Hind's (or even surpass), then there is only one obvious answer to the better helicopter...
(and it isn;t the Apache... geez, it couldn't even handle the sand from the fist Gulf War! And yes, I was there, I know...)
Originally posted by WeBDeviL
Hmm..another USA vs Russia thread there eh Russian?
Now then, the Russian counter-part seems impressive, very indeed. The Apache, I would have to say is more agile. The HellFire missile system is definately impressive, and those AT's are also pretty good. I dunno on this one, tough call..I would have to go with...
Originally posted by omega1
The choice is not simple in this thread......
the AH-64 Longbow has far better tech....thats why I would have to bet on it
but I am going to say the MI-28 is still one of the best.
why you ask....I know it isnt the sexiest thing around, but it is cheaper...more able to be mass produced and generally more practically equiped.
And it has good armor and a lot of it.
but once again.....it depends on the pilot and the name of the country that is printed on the side......
lets just hope that we wont find out for sure for a long long long time.