It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multi-quote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Recently, I came around a VBulletin board, which has a great function enabling you to quote more than one person at once. In my opinion, it would be a great future to add to our ATS forums.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 05:16 AM
link   
WHY ???????

i do not intend to be rude , but some people on boards seem incapable of maintiaing a coherant , on topic dialogue addressing the points of a single poster over the course of a single article .

and you want to give people the ca[acity to reply [ or attempt to ] to multiple people at once , sheer madness

one post = one reply , it is both good manners to address the arguments of a single poster in one article and it makes for easier reading - as the flow of a topic proceeds far more logically .

if you wish to address the points raised by multiple members , post a reply to each of thier articles .

what is hard about that ??

you are simply introducing an extra level of complexity that will IMHO lead to errors , confusion and unwarranted board drama

PS - suggestions such as this are traditional handled through the complain / suggest forum - or by pitching the proposal to an amigo / admin .

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 07:37 AM
link   
But you are more than capable of it. I do it all the time.

Originally posted by Mdv2
Recently, I came around a VBulletin board, which has a great function enabling you to quote more than one person at once. In my opinion, it would be a great future to add to our ATS forums.

No function here, it is just a matter of becoming comfortable with the bbcode.

[quote] [/quote]

Are the tags to use the quote function, and it is always a good idea to add [i]Originally posted by MEMBER[/i] to clarify who's post you are discussing.

In the same post, if you wish to quote someone else as it pertains to your post or you have another point to make; just use the tags again.

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
i do not intend to be rude , but some people on boards seem incapable of maintiaing a coherant , on topic dialogue addressing the points of a single poster over the course of a single article .

Well in my experiences, our members are very capable. This actually happens all of the time so I'm not sure what you speak of here.

one post = one reply , it is both good manners to address the arguments of a single poster in one article and it makes for easier reading - as the flow of a topic proceeds far more logically .

I would have to disagree with good manners. I would like to think my post here is in good manners, yet I have quoted more than one post. I have not interupted the flow of anything, if anything I've brought the whole message of the thread together. So maybe I assisted the next member who enters the thread to see the whole picture, because lets face it we are guilty of skimming posts from time to time.

if you wish to address the points raised by multiple members , post a reply to each of thier articles .

Why would I make 2 or 3 posts to discuss the topic at hand? I think the staff would become irate if we began to create a post for every quote. The board would be infected with members posting one after another after another. There is nothing wrong with more than one quote in a post, as long as we are not quoting the full post.

you are simply introducing an extra level of complexity that will IMHO lead to errors , confusion and unwarranted board drama

Has my post been confusing? I think its been alright.

PS - suggestions such as this are traditional handled through the complain / suggest forum - or by pitching the proposal to an amigo / admin

Yes, the staff does appreciate this. But I feel this would of been appropriate for the ATS Freshman's Forum.

Mdv2, if your not familiar with the Complain function, you can find it here. It is just a way of creating a formal complaint that will be in a staff only forum.

join