It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New PC won't turn on

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Hey my brother got a new pc and i am putting everything together for him but i have run into a problem. I have double checked all the connections but the computer won't turn on, absolutely nothing happens when i press the power button.

The motherboard is the new EVGA 680i, the graphics card is the EVGA 8800 GTS R, it has a 520 W power supply, the CPU is an Intel core 2 duo, sound card, 2 Gigs of ram, a Seagate 320 Gig HD, a Liteon DVD burner, a cheap floppy drive.

I am pretty sure 520W is enough to power all that so what steps should i take to isolate the problem. I have tried disconnecting a few things but nothing ever happens when i turn it on. I was very careful and i did not short out the board so any help would be great. I got everything off of newegg.com so hopefully i didn't get any defective parts.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Newegg is a pretty good vendor.

I know you really want to use the thing, but, seeing as it is brand new I would consider returning it.

I'm sure you are being careful, but try not to leave any hints that you may have been inside it.

Is the case pushed all the way back?..I've had some cases where it was pushed forward enough, so the plastic button on the outside, did not actuate the real switch inside.

hard to tell without seeing though.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I bought all the parts and assembled everything myself, i followed every step and went over it three times. I will probably take it to a pc place tomorrow for them to check and see what is wrong.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Do the fans of the power supply work?
If not then the power supply is not working, check the connection.

Does the CPU fan work?
If it does not then the PSU is not supplying the motherboard with at least that current.

Does the CPU get warm after some time or does it stay at room temperature?
If not then its the CPU that is not working, it may be a faulty CPU or it maybe it is not being powered.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   
The fans of the Power supply don't turn on, absolutely nothing does so i think it is the power supply. It has gone in now so i will see what they say. I think it is better as they will be able to connect the pwrled as the motherboard only accepts a 2 pin and the case has a three pin connector so you have to remove one pin to get it working. The power supply is the corsair 520W which is supposed to be very reliable, that would be an easy fix so i hope it is just that. My brother took the pc to the local Microcenter so they should be able to fix it with no problems. The Nvidia Reality Tour is there so he will just wait around until it is ready.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Flip that little red switch under the power supply. It's a quick check, and might do something for ya.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   
^^^
:shk:

You might have tried checking the "CMOS" jumper on the motherboard ... just a thought.

If the jumper was on the "CLR CMOS" pins you would experience the same, power-on and Nothing, no fans, no lights, no drives spinning up, etc.

Even though it's not the "norm", I have received motherboards with the CMOS jumper set to "CLR CMOS".

Eh ... let us know how you make out.

Nice PS, by the way

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
^^^
:shk:

I'm serious, I've sometimes spent hours troubleshooting a system, only to find that the voltage was set improperly.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 05:20 PM
link   
The power supply was deffective, I got a new 650W PSU and everything is working fine. I am busy installing the OS, it will be nice to test the 8800 after i have updated and installed all the drivers.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Dont ever build your own and certainly not a friends PC is the only advice I can give for the future. I am still being called to a mate p2 450 because I built it - 8 damn years ago......

seriously the small amount of money saved is not worth it. watch for the offers from Dell or someone, they ship PCs quite often for less that £240.......which in US $ is about 83000 or something

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DraconianKing
The power supply was deffective, I got a new 650W PSU and everything is working fine. I am busy installing the OS, it will be nice to test the 8800 after i have updated and installed all the drivers.

I knew it had to be the power supply

top topics

join