It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Absinthe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I am thinking about purchasing a bottle of Absinthe via the net in the near future, and was wondering if anybody has ever tried it? I mean, the real Absinthe with wormwood extract.

If you can obtain the real stuff with wormwood extract in sufficient amounts, the "effect" is supposed to be mildly hallucegenic.

Anybody have any info or stories they wanna share?

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Yep ive tried it, too strong for me! I was very very ill! And yeah i did trip a little, not alot though, was too busy being sick!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Yup. I drink it on special occasions (the last time I drank it my son was conceived, he he)

I have to say, it's not good for you. Wormwood is really quite bad for the brain, apparently.

However, Here's how I drink it.

I put a couple of shots in a glass. Take a teaspoon of sugar, dip it into the glass to make it wet. Then, I light the sugar on the spoon, which melts and burns. Stir the sugar into the glass after a few seconds of melting. You now have a glass with quite a bit of fire. Now, I pour water into the glass, about half a glass. This puts out the fire. Stir this well.

Now, swig this back.

After two of these, you feel strangely kinda drunk.

Last time, I drank 1.5 litres with two friends. By the end of the night, I had a hand covered in blisters, was very strangely drunk, and had shaved my head. No real hallucinations, but it definitely is different to the pitchers of Long Island Iced Tea I normally drink.

Still, I enjoyed it.

You can buy it in the shops here, they repealed the law against it a while ago.

[Edited on 13-11-2003 by Zzub]

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 01:05 PM
link   

By the end of the night, I had a hand covered in blisters, was very strangely drunk, and had shaved my head.

Ahh...good times...

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Ahh...good times...

Oh yes, good times indeed!

I have to say, my thirst for Absinthe has been quashed, it's nice on occasion, but I prefer my normal drink by a long shot.

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 01:10 PM
link   
yeah its legal to buy in shops and bars in UK. I only ever drank it in bars though! After a loads of beers! Which might explain why i was so sick!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 01:29 PM
link   
i prefer the softsynth

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Absinthe expels vampires too, doesn't it??

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Here is some information on Erowid's Vault about Absinthe.

This is a great site for drug information. Check out the section on Nutmeg.

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 02:10 PM
link   
www.erowid.org...

check this out

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 02:13 PM
link   
crayon- we call that syncro posting

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Wow, the Google Ads toolbar to the right of our beloved ATS posts actually come in handy !!!

www.oxygenee.com...

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 02:22 PM
link   
absinthe is far overrated from what i hear

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I love the last twosentances in that link.

The word absinthe is derived from the Greek word �Absinthos� meaning �undrinkable�, because of the bitterness of the wormwood.

The Russian word for wormwood is �Chernobyl��..

He he.

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 02:26 PM
link   
The genuine article is indeed hard to get.

Some of the worst variants are Eastern European (eg I have one from Romania) whose alcohol content approaches 80% and whose primary effects are on the gullet and stomach and not on the experience. I avoid them, and Spanish. Some Czech are quite good.

Bottlers will not disclose the thujones content - they are not required to - and they may well exaggerate that in their internet ads.

I would definitely NOT go for anything with alcohol beyond 65% - and go for an established brand with a longer history that has some tradition to maintain.

This product has had a major surge in the past 15 years (and especially with import restrictions being relaxed in the past 5-7 in many countries) and imitations abound.

You won't wake up hallucinating or with a shaved head from most of them, but you won't feel great either unless you go along for a placebo ride.

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I'm reading this page...

Famous people through history who were known to have been drinkers of absinthe are Ernest Hemingway and Vincent van Gogh(!)

He probably cut of his ear because of the 'mildly hallucegenic' effects.

new topics

top topics

join