It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we all Schizoprhenic

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I brought up this question a few weeks ago with friends to get their views on it. It made me think why do we say things like, I'm in two minds what to do, one part of me says this and the other says that, the voices in my head tell me different things, one side of me is in a dreamworld the other is in reality.

Why do we say such things, is it normal, have we always been like this or is somebody putting something in our food or water. Do we all have multiple split personalities, phrases like oh I've got my grumpy head on, why do you have a collection of heads I reply. I have noticed more and more people talking like this but cannot remember such statements years ago. Is this a new phenomena or is somebody messing with our minds, how many people have commited crimes stating the voices in their head told them to do it.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 10:39 PM
link   
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is considered a philosopher.
(quote by Ambrose Bierce)

Maybe most of us tend to be too philosophical and analyze our own opinions and feelings too much rather than going with our first reactions.

Cause so many times there someone else going to tell us that our first reaction is wrong.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 10:55 PM
link   
100% of people are insane

Reassurring huh

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 03:36 AM
link   
The quick answer is no. The longer answer is that the voices in my head tell me the voices in your head refer to the voices of every poster on this board that came to the conclusion that yes everyone here is nuts.

It's not hard to pick apart bs from truth on ATS. Think, ask questions, investigate sources, and make an educated assumption after all of that has been done.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Maybe people are useing both sides of their brains more instead of letting the right or left side dominate.
Although why that would be happening I don't know. Could be our brains are evolving or something.

The left controls reasoning and logic (reality) and then the right controls imagination and creativity(dreamworld).

Maybe both sides of our brains are fighting for domination and people can't decide how they feel sometimes because of it.

The right side of my brain is telling me to write this post to you cause perhaps it's kinda true. The left side is asking me if this post is logical or not and should I put this in writing at all?

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   
The voice in your head is your ego...I don't really know how to describe its function, but it is part of you, but not what makes "biggie smalls" biggie smalls. The essence underlying this disfunction is your true self. Buddhism calls it nirvana, Zen bliss, and it has many other names. It is the state of total disconnection with the material and spiritual connection with Spirit. You are aware of your existence as well as everywhere else in the universe. In Quantum Mechanics we have the superposition where the atom can be in two places at once (excited and unexcited).

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Ya know... I hafta wonder the same thing about my brain sometimes... It talkes to itself, I talk to myself.. which one of us is crazy? Maybe we're collectively crazy... How would we ever know?

In theory, so I've heard, the voices in our heads is a way for our brain to actualize itself.. trying to understand itself. I've never heard any other voice in my head than my own when it's/I'm talking to itself/myself... guess that's some form of reassurance.

No matter the theory, I'm always left with the question: why does my brain try to undermine me, and in turn, itself? Second-guessing, constant doubting, even slandering.. In fact, I've been debating trepination for quite some time -- screw q-tips, the ability to actually stick a finger thru my skull and poke my brain when it's acting up is *just soo tempting*!!!

But then again, and on the other hand....

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I am not schizo!

Yes we are.

No you're not.

Shut up!!!

But I want to be in control now.

NO!! NEVER!!!!

Let me or I'll cut us again!

Our name is legion, for we are many.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Well, technically, I guess we are. You have two consciousnesses in your brain. The conscious, which is you(usually), and only occupies 10% of our brain; and there is the subconscious, which operates all of the involuntary actions like our circulatory and digestive system, and uses the other 90% of the brain's functionality. The id, ego, and superego are all divisions of one's unconscious self. They are the three different levels of the subconscious mind that influence all of our conscious mind's decisions. The id consists of mainly our primal instincts; i.e. the need for food, shelter, sex, etc. The ego is mainly concerned with one's self; i.e. worrying about your well-being and your personal success in life. The superego is more concerned with the people around you. It is what causes us to follow social standards and worry about what other people think of us, and also worry about other people.

Your conscious mind is how you act out these three states of the subconscious mind. It also allows us to make moral decisions and is where our soul resides. Kind of scary, if you think about it. We all have other people living in our head, they just are not technically intelligent presences. They are simply pre-programmed responses; the BIOS, if you will, of our body.

Hate it when you can't control your dreams? Blame your subconscious. It likes to have fun too, so it uses your dreams. Ever make a stupid decision that you later regret? Blame it on the subconscious. One of the three levels of the subconscious mind will sometimes "win" over the other ones in given situations, and make the decision without consulting the other levels. i.e. the id can be blamed for anger, or the superego can be blamed for giving into peer pressure.

P.S. I taught myself to lucid dream, so my subconscious mind can't control my dreams anymore!

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainIraq Hate it when you can't control your dreams? Blame your subconscious. It likes to have fun too, so it uses your dreams.

That would explain some of the dreams I've had...

Ever make a stupid decision that you later regret? Blame it on the subconscious.

I don't know if I buy that... Unless I'm asleep, I'm consciously aware of what I'm thinking, doing, saying... Sometimes so much so that I get wicked self-conscious...
I'm learning to catch my snap judgements, cancel them from my brain, and 're-trace the steps' which brought me to that judgement.
But, even when I was drunk, I *knew* what I was doing... sobriety doesn't change that fact.

P.S. I taught myself to lucid dream, so my subconscious mind can't control my dreams anymore!

Okay, this might sound silly, but.. wouldn't/couldn't the un/sub-conscious rebel? Throw a hissy fit? ('I want my control back!')

Do you suppose there's a relation between conscious awareness and un/sub-conscious awareness? Meaning, If I am working to be more and more consciously aware, might my un/sub-conscious tend to be more wacky than (I'm certain) it already is? (with some of the dreams I've had recently, I'm not entirely sure how it could be more wacky...)

Or, would control over one's conscious mind relate to more control over one's un/sub-conscious mind?

...I'm getting the feeling that work would have to be done with/on both..
cuz my conscious mind doesn't want to smoke,
but my un/sub-conscious mind is being very whine-y...

[edit on 11-11-2006 by Diseria]

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 08:39 PM
link   
This statement is somewhat correct.

First off, we have to ask ourselves, What is schizoprhenia?
Simple answer being that reality is substituted an individual's reality, for the individual. In other words, it is a matter of perception.
That being said, unless we are omniscient, it is impossible not to be schizoprhenic.

1700 years ago, everybody knew the world was flat. We now know that in reality, the world is round. Their reality was wrong, none the less their precieved reality told them otherwise. Due to this, and their lack of understanding, they substituted reality with their own. Were they schizoprhenic?

Let me put it this way. Your friend tell's you that they are going to the shop. They leave you at your home, and you assume that they are going to the local shop. Instead of going to the local shop, they actually go to a shop that is further away.
Later they come back, but you never find out the facts.
Reality is substituted by your own reality.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gear First off, we have to ask ourselves, What is schizoprhenia?
Simple answer being that reality is substituted an individual's reality, for the individual. In other words, it is a matter of perception.
That being said, unless we are omniscient, it is impossible not to be schizoprhenic.

It's beyond that, actually. It's not a misinterpretation of information, like thinking that someone went here when they really went there.. it's *way* beyond that.

I went to the 'psychology bible' (only pulled a bit; if'n y'all are interested, I'll show more excerpts)

Schizophrenia is a disorder that lasts for at least 6 months and includes at least 1 month of active-phase symptoms (i.e., two [or more] of the following: delusions, hallucinations, disorganized speech, grossly disorganised or catatonic behavior, negative symptoms).
Delusions are erroneous beliefs that usually involve a misinterpretation of perceptions or experiences. Their content may include a variety of themes (e.g., persecutory, referential, somatic, religious, or grandiose). Persecutory delusions are most common; the person believes he or she is being tormented, followed, tricked, spied on, or ridiculed. Referential delusions are also common; the person believes that certain gestures, comments, passages from books, newspapers, song lyrics, or other environmental cues are specifically directed at him or her. ... Delusions are deemed bizarre if they are clearly implausible and not understandable and do not derive from ordinary life experiences. An example ... is a person's belief that a stranger has removed his or her internal organs and has replaced them with someone else's organs without leaving any wounds or scars. Delusions that express a loss of control over mind or body are generally considered to be bizarre; these include a person's belief that his or her thoughts have been taken away by some outside force..., that alien thoughts are being acted on or manipulated by some outside force...

Hallucinations may occur in any sensory modality (e.g., auditory, visual, olfactory, gustatory, and tactile)... The hallucinations must occur in the context of a clearn sensorium; those that occur while falling asleep (hypnagogic) or waking up (hypnopompic) are considered within the range of normal experience.
Certain types of auditory hallucinations (i.e., two or more voices conversing with one another or voices maintaining a running commentary on the person's thoughts or behavior) have been considered to be particularly characteristic of Schizophrenia.
Taken from Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th ed. Text Revision. p. 299-300

. o O (ya know... I was much happier not having read this book... dang! It says nothing about the voices being different from my own voice as recorded by my brain..
)

So, the original question, as shown by the bold statement, is the correct question, because it's referring to the hallucination aspect of Schizophrenia.

Maybe the example Gear gave is a delusion, but it seems that while the perception is clearly messed up, it's not the normal everyday stuff like thinking someone went here when they really went there...

Edited to add: It clearly shows the above examples from the excerpt as Critireon A.. Criteria B is that it is "marked with social or occupational dysfunction"... however, with both hallucinations and delusions, "If these types of [hallucinations or delusions] are present, then only this single symptom is needed to classify Criterion A."

[edit on 11-11-2006 by Diseria]

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
Why do we say such things, is it normal, have we always been like this or is somebody putting something in our food or water. ... Is this a new phenomena or is somebody messing with our minds ...

There has been a distirbing trend to add chemicals to our water and food supply. I suspect this is one of the reasons why degenerative diseases' are on the rise. By increasing the diabetes and high cholesterol rate of the population there would be the potential to make money by selling pharmeceutical drugs to keep the disease's in check (Not cure).

The question should be is the human race being systematically and deliberatly poisoned for profit and mind control?

[edit on 11-11-2006 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 08:03 AM
link   
In nothing, the answer to that is yes we are. Just think of all the drugs we take now compared to years ago, we take drugs like sweets and I sometimes wonder do we actually need them.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 08:10 AM
link   

In nothing, the answer to that is yes we are. Just think of all the drugs we take now compared to years ago, we take drugs like sweets and I sometimes wonder do we actually need them.

We don't.

There are entire groups of people in the world who live past 100 and are perfectly healthy. They don't goto doctors and for the most part don't get sick.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diseria
I don't know if I buy that... Unless I'm asleep, I'm consciously aware of what I'm thinking, doing, saying... Sometimes so much so that I get wicked self-conscious...
I'm learning to catch my snap judgements, cancel them from my brain, and 're-trace the steps' which brought me to that judgement.

We are all accustomed to thinking that we're always in control, but in reality, we have grown up this way, so we think it is normal and we have control. Everyone has a subconscious that affects every decision in their daily life.

Okay, this might sound silly, but.. wouldn't/couldn't the un/sub-conscious rebel? Throw a hissy fit? ('I want my control back!')

I should probably rephrase the whole dream thing. Your subconscious can be very strong or very weak. Lucid Dreaming is simply perfecting the technique of completely repressing one's subconscious, and taking control. You see, all you need to do is find out that it is a dream. The rest is easy. It's not like your subconscious has any real power over you in dreams, it just tricks you into thinking that it does.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust

Why do we say such things, is it normal, have we always been like this or is somebody putting something in our food or water. ... Is this a new phenomena or is somebody messing with our minds ...

There has been a distirbing trend to add chemicals to our water and food supply. I suspect this is one of the reasons why degenerative diseases' are on the rise. By increasing the diabetes and high cholesterol rate of the population there would be the potential to make money by selling pharmeceutical drugs to keep the disease's in check (Not cure).

The question should be is the human race being systematically and deliberatly poisoned for profit and mind control?

[edit on 11-11-2006 by In nothing we trust]

they are causing an intentional collective nervous breakdown. our water, food, air plus the pharms...and not to mention after 911 everyone has been on the edge with all of the CONSTANT back and forth talking between democrates and republicans about the war war war kill death blood guns are good buy more fear spend hurry money crap we hear every single moment we are alive and child kidnappings and mother natures mood swings suicide bombers and nuclear warheads and ufos being seen and of course the fallen angels that are really doing all of this in the first place and i think we all know what the purpose is.
everyone i know including myself are completely loosing it. find the savior. theres not much time folks.
love your kids and your family. try your best and not let them get to your children if you have any. i know its an endless bombardment with these fallen ones but keep your focus on the one who is not of this world. christ jesus.

[edit on 12-11-2006 by Funkydung]

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Funkydungthey are causing an intentional collective nervous breakdown. our water, food, air plus the pharms...and not to mention after 911 everyone has been on the edge with all of the CONSTANT back and forth talking between democrates and republicans about the war war war kill death blood guns are good buy more fear spend hurry money crap we hear every single moment we are alive and child kidnappings and mother natures mood swings suicide bombers and nuclear warheads and ufos being seen and of course the fallen angels that are really doing all of this in the first place and i think we all know what the purpose is.
everyone i know including myself are completely loosing it. find the savior. theres not much time folks.
love your kids and your family. try your best and not let them get to your children if you have any. i know its an endless bombardment with these fallen ones but keep your focus on the one who is not of this world. christ jesus.

Yeah, see, this is why I unplugged from the popular media. I have enough stress on my own, in my own head, without heaping on all the terror crap. I may be considered to live under a rock, and completely uninformed... but at least I'm not pulling my hair out over every little thing.

Bombarded with so many individual 'terrorizing' events that people forget to look into the philosophy and ideas behind the events -- instead, knee-jerk reactions that simply cause more stress!

Everytime I dip my toes into the 'news' of society, I go a little more into Taoism.

We know the answer to that.. most people just don't want to admit to it. The value of human life is based on profit.. on a various pieces of paper that humanity invented, nonetheless!
And while I think that most doctors have the right intentions, they have the wrong medical books, wrong knowledge... it's dangerous. Creating a mass society of people hooked on drugs... and it's getting scary just how far they'll go (children being evaluated and 'treated' without parental knowledge; authorties dragging people away who refuse regular treatments..). We all know.. it's just easier not to know.

However, I do find a certain satistfaction in 'mother nature's mood swings' -- humans think they have control, but in fact we never did.
That fact tickles me.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Diseria, That's the point, we dont have control and were as fragile as shell eggs, were so dependant on the system now that if a great natural or manmade disaster hit the world we would'nt last 5 minutes. Were like a bunch of babies being spoon fed our meds every day.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Funkydungthey are causing an intentional collective nervous breakdown. our water, food, air plus the pharms...and not to mention after 911 everyone has been on the edge with all of the CONSTANT back and forth talking between democrates and republicans about the war war war kill death blood guns are good buy more fear spend hurry money crap we hear every single moment we are alive and child kidnappings and mother natures mood swings suicide bombers and nuclear warheads and ufos being seen and of course the fallen angels that are really doing all of this in the first place and i think we all know what the purpose is.

Yeah, see, this is why I unplugged from the popular media. I have enough stress on my own, in my own head, without heaping on all the terror crap. I may be considered to live under a rock, and completely uninformed... but at least I'm not pulling my hair out over every little thing.

yeah no doubt. i have completely stopped listening to talk radio during the day because it is so damn obvious that there is brainwashing going on. rush and hannity and bortz and even the local talk shows in the evenings preach the same message...war and death, of cours with the nice clean covers of fighting for freedom and peace. nothing smells worse than the antichrists dung spread all over the place. i still keep up to date of things but i find things for myself and definatly dont let hannity tell me. geeze. talk about lame.

people are spoonfed. peoples brains have been reduced to that of an infant with these pharms and then pumped full of garbage by hollywood and govenment and religion. the people can no longer take care of themselves due to being braindead. i use to think that this could be overcome by spreading the word, but i dont think this is the case anymore. the deception is too large. the whole world wonders after this beast. christ warned us of this. (and for those of you out there christs teachings have nothing to do with religion) so yeah i can see where we are all a little skitzo. too much info. need to defrag brain. not working right.

[edit on 13-11-2006 by Funkydung]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join