It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Future Tactical Truck concept replacement for the Humvee

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 07:58 PM
link   
When hydrogen power comes out, it's the new vehicle is either going to get replace or upgraded (which I doubt would happen.)

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Heres some pretty cool pictures of the GVP colonel. It has nothing to do with a humvee replacement.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Very cool pics here! The enemy has to be afraid to see these bad boys coming at them. Just one question though.. do they need a truck to follow behind and carry fuel for these guys?

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Why the hell are they building 'trucks'?

This is the 21st century. We have enemies that build improvised explosive devices and plant them on roadsides, and who can gather up a stockpile of rpgs, bring them to bear on our soldiers, and then dissapear like they were never there.

We NEED a vehicle that can resist ieds and rpgs, that HAS TO be the basis for our military, if its ever going to win any of the new wars.

This is like the poles trying to fight against the blitzkreig with CAVALRY.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
We NEED a vehicle that can resist ieds and rpgs, that HAS TO be the basis for our military, if its ever going to win any of the new wars.

resist IED's??? And just how do you propose thats done?

What we need is better armor on the trucks. Many vehicles in Iraq have jamming devices, that way they (islamic extremists) cant trigger the bomb by using a remote ro cell phone. Theres only so much you can do...we dont have star trek like force fields.

[edit on 15-11-2006 by Murcielago]

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Why the hell are they building 'trucks'?

This is the 21st century. We have enemies that build improvised explosive devices and plant them on roadsides, and who can gather up a stockpile of rpgs, bring them to bear on our soldiers, and then dissapear like they were never there.

This is like the poles trying to fight against the blitzkreig with CAVALRY.

Let me intorduce you to the 'TROPHY' then. www.youtube.com...

"The system can simultaneously engage several threats, arriving from different directions, is effective on stationary or moving platforms, and is effective against short and long range threats (such as RPGs and ATGM). Trophy was designed to be effective in open or closed terrain, including urban area and can be operated under all weather conditions"

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfoo

Let me intorduce you to the 'TROPHY' then. www.youtube.com...

Then its up to me to introduce you to reality: It doesnt work.

And even if it worked, it wouldnt help against an IED or improvised shaped charges fired from short distance.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Do you think reactive armor could be used to soften the blow of an IED? Has anyone ever tried reactive armor on something like a HUMVEE?

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by warpboost
Do you think reactive armor could be used to soften the blow of an IED?

Nope. ERA works against penetrators, it has no effect on a massive explosive blow.

Has anyone ever tried reactive armor on something like a HUMVEE?

TRIED certainly, but I doubt it has ever been considered for deployment. One reason: the ERA plate does not completely fend off the penetrator, it only limits the impact. That means you still need proper armor beneath it - and a HMMWV cannot have proper armor. Another reason: the explosion of the ERA plate itself is enough to severely damage light-skinned vehicles - its still an explosive layer we´re talking about. Coupled with the outer metal plates in which this explosive is contained, this creates shrapnel which is dangerous for persons in- and outside of the vehicle. Thats one reason why ERA is not often used on personnel cariers, as one can expect the chances of unprotected soldiers nearby to be high.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 05:30 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

Are the type of systems one can invest in when your going to fight the type of anti insurgency wars so many countries have chosen to engage in. In all honesty it's probably better than the imperial powers try fight in ways that will not lead to winning but i thought i would mention these fighting systems in the interest of keeping the discussion interesting..... Their all South African and at least a few systems are in relative wide use with the UN while others are on order by some American companies.

Stellar

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 01:03 AM
link   
looks like a humvee to me minus the back.. one IED from the back and all the metal is going through the material back

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lonestar24

Then its up to me to introduce you to reality: It doesnt work.

And even if it worked, it wouldnt help against an IED or improvised shaped charges fired from short distance.

Alright dude, im not calling you a lier but in those videos it looks like it works to me.

Why doesnt it work? Care to elaborate?

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Not much of a new concept.

This looks alot better.

It's europian, so you guys might want to buy it.

[edit on 17-11-2006 by pepsi78]

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   
That wouldnt protect our troops from IEDs.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78
Not much of a new concept.

This looks alot better.

It's europian, so you guys might want to buy it.

Looks cool though. Any pics of the inside?

EDIT: picture fix

[edit on 083030p://555 by semperfoo]

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   
IF you notice it, it has a higher guard, the humvees are lower, it's also a bit biger, and protecting from IEDS has to do with armor and not design, if they wanted no make a humvee stand against road side bombs they could of done it, just put a thiker plate and it's done.
This vechicle is a bit biger has a better aerodinamic and has a higher guard, it's wells are biger, higher guard can also be a good factor against IED's.

Sorry this is the only image I got.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Update

This car is hot, it's a 4x4 and I think it has a bit more armor than the humvee aslo.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Thats nothing Pepsi, this is what we should get...its American so we should buy it.

That will definitely do far better than the Fennek.

Also, they should have a turret gun or a remote station weapon on it.

[edit on 17-11-2006 by deltaboy]

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
That is not a replacement for the humvee, it's another class, it can't be a recon unit, it has other objectives.
It's too big to start with, the crew has less visibility, also it manuvers harder.
I think the fennek would do a better job , it's better suited for patrol missions, you can manuver better with it as it's more compact like the humvee, and you have a lot more visibility from inside of it, the example that you shown is more for troops transport, or for a better excort under havy fire, but it's not suitable for recon or patrol operations.

[edit on 18-11-2006 by pepsi78]

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Recon no, patrol yes. It is just an LAV vehicle on 4 wheels built to patrol and provide support for infantry as well as protecting them from small arms and IEDs when moving to different positions, especially in Iraq dealing with guerilla warfare and urban combat. Not to mention able to deal with all kinds of terrain in all weather, for like Iraq environment for example.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join