It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laser weapon destroys artillery fire!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2002 @ 12:58 PM
link   
www.newscientist.com... THis is really cool!!!!! I'd like one in my car please.......... something for that afternoon traffic!!!!

[Edited on 6-11-2002 by UniQue Werkx]

posted on Nov, 6 2002 @ 06:06 PM
link   
www.newscientist.com...

Oh my god...
I can see it now,
F-22's with lasers...

posted on Nov, 6 2002 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I want to see a smaller device... That one is to big and obvious. I need something I can pull out of my pocket and just vaporize anyone I don't like

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 12:48 AM
link   
58 cm? that's fake, and it even looks like a spot light too.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 11:06 AM
link   
no, sadly this sort of technology is not fake. its all too real.

"Protective goggles

The US is working on special protective goggles for its soldiers, and other countries will do likewise if the US deploys laser weapons - although they will need to know the laser's wavelength."

i worked on a project two years ago aimed at developing protective goggles that would prevent eye and sensor damage from 'threat lasers'. i was recruited because i am a laser physicist. the worrying thing is that the US, Russia, France and the UK, to mention a few, all signed a treaty banning the development of lasers designed to blind. whilst these lasers aren't ~designed~ to blind, its a natural side-effect.

yet another case of the US disregarding a treaty in her pursuit of military domination ...

- qo.

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Not really, wasnt the treaty only signed a couple years ago, surely laser weapons were already on the cards then, and the treaty was signed with that in mind. Its hardly counted as disregarding the treaty if the treaty has nothing to do with the situation.

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 01:55 PM
link   
One thing I don't understand is if the laser is infrared and not to see with naked eye... How can it blind someone?!?! Does it burn the eyes up or when reflected it makes it visable light?!?! And if you're that close won't it burn you up?!?!
Maybe QO can clarify that.....

[Edited on 7-11-2002 by UniQue Werkx]

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Just because the retina isn't designed to *detect* the infra & ultra spectrums of light frequencies doesn't mean that it can't be *damaged* by them...If the sun only projected ultraviolet frequencies, you wouldn't be able to see it or the light it produces, but it would still blind you if you looked directly towards it.

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 11:09 PM
link   
You idiots there's no such thing as a 58 cm laser...that's GARGANTUAN as far as lasers go...you'd be hard pressed to get a good cm laser going.

I KNOW they have lasers for military purposes...but whatever you found there is purely faked.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Nov, 8 2002 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Originally posted by UniQue Werkx:

"One thing I don't understand is if the laser is infrared and not to see with naked eye... How can it blind someone?!?! Does it burn the eyes up or when reflected it makes it visable light?!?! And if you're that close won't it burn you up?!?!
Maybe QO can clarify that....."

MDS covered this quite nicely, but to put it another way. infra red is just a wavelength of e-m radiation, as are microwaves. we all know that sticking your head in a microwave is dangerous, as is a sticking your head infront of a collimated, coherent beam of microwaves from a microwave laser (originally, and correctly termed a maser). same applies here. it doesn't matter that the infra red frequencies are beyond range detected by the human eye, they will still cook you. in fact, they will cook ALL of you, its just that the retina happens to be one of the piece of tissues most easily-damaged by an external light source.

- qo.

posted on Nov, 8 2002 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Originally posted by FreeMason:

"You idiots there's no such thing as a 58 cm laser...that's GARGANTUAN as far as lasers go...you'd be hard pressed to get a good cm laser going.

I KNOW they have lasers for military purposes...but whatever you found there is purely faked."

whilst i agree with you that the article may well be fake, it may very well also be true. answer me this: why is it impossible to build a laser that has a beam diameter of 58cm?

to illustrate my point, in one of the few experiments i have undertaken that required the use of a visible beam (532 nm) the beam on exit from the laser had a beam diameter of 2.73mm (ish, for detail of what this measurement actually was you can check out the published paper). we then specifically expanded the beam in a telescope to give a collimated beam with a diameter of 13.79 mm.

point is, the size of the beam is easily changed using optics. that is not and never has been a problem.

- qo.

the paper, if anyone is interested, relates to the project i mentioned in an earlier post regarding wavelength-range protective goggles. the reference is: "Nonlinear refractive beam shaping by an organic nonlinear absorber", APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS 78 (9): 1183-1185 FEB 26 2001.

posted on Nov, 8 2002 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by quiet one
Originally posted by UniQue Werkx:

"One thing I don't understand is if the laser is infrared and not to see with naked eye... How can it blind someone?!?! Does it burn the eyes up or when reflected it makes it visable light?!?! And if you're that close won't it burn you up?!?!
Maybe QO can clarify that....."

MDS covered this quite nicely, but to put it another way. infra red is just a wavelength of e-m radiation, as are microwaves. we all know that sticking your head in a microwave is dangerous, as is a sticking your head infront of a collimated, coherent beam of microwaves from a microwave laser (originally, and correctly termed a maser). same applies here. it doesn't matter that the infra red frequencies are beyond range detected by the human eye, they will still cook you. in fact, they will cook ALL of you, its just that the retina happens to be one of the piece of tissues most easily-damaged by an external light source.

- qo.

Good point. I thought about that after I posted...... I guess my point was that if your eyes are exposed to this radiation, the eyes are more sensitive then the rest of the body in that aspect......... hence why wouldn't it burn more then just the retinas if the person is in direct line of fire?!?

Thanks for the answers guys!

Christian

posted on Nov, 8 2002 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Yes but Q-O what makes a laser so powerful is the concentration of its energy no? I mean look at the Terra-watt laser, it's still only about a cm or so wide. And they used 60 of those to simulate the core of a star...sooo wouldn't enlarging through optics greatly reduce the actual concetrated energy?

I think of a magnifying glass when you mention that...it's like taking the fine sun-point that sets paper on fire, and expanding it to that big dot that barely even warms it...the level of energy hasn't changed, just the concentration of it.

A 58cm laser is possible, but it's concentration would seem so low that it would require a MASSIVE power source to actually be weaponized...no?

But also perhaps the laser itself isn't damaging just throwing off smart weapons? And the article is just wrong?

Well what are your thoughts on actually concetrating enough energy to make a weaponized 58cm laser?

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Nov, 8 2002 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by UniQue Werkx...hence why wouldn't it burn more then just the retinas if the person is in direct line of fire?!?

Depending upon how well the beam is concentrated & comparing that to how long your eyes were actually exposed, it could actually turn your eyeballs into crispy raisins...Going further, it could also reduce your entire body to less-than-ash.

You're starting to look a little dehydrated...Here's a glass of water...

[Edited on 9-11-2002 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Nov, 8 2002 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Yes, but I highly doubt there's been any laser made that is 58cm big, and having any power like that.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Nov, 9 2002 @ 01:00 AM
link   
MIRACL.

posted on Nov, 9 2002 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Uh is there any proof of that? All you did was give an acronym.

posted on Nov, 10 2002 @ 12:25 AM
link   
precisely. you decrease the intensity of the beam. we would nearly need something close to the potential of zero point energy to power a 58 cm laser...

and I have a little point to make about the photograph; should you actually be able to see that beam coming out of the laser? it should not be getting thrown off track by the air so much so soon should it ?

posted on Nov, 10 2002 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Well, if you find yourself to be under attack by *any* military-grade laser, just remember beforehand to put on your tinfoil suit *shiny-side-out*...

posted on Nov, 10 2002 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Correct Anon (about being able to see the laser and how you shouldn't be able to see it)...however you over looked one tiny fact...

...IT IS A FREAKING SEARCH LIGHT!

Sincerely,
no signature

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join