It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human Development Index 2006

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   
The 2006 Human Development Index (HDI) has just been released it is an interesting measure of the Standard of Living throughout the Globe.

en.wikipedia.org
The Human Development Index (HDI) is a comparative measure of life expectancy, literacy, education, and standards of living for countries worldwide. It is a standard means of measuring well-being, especially child welfare. It is used to distinguish whether the country is a developed, developing, or under developed country, and also to measure the impact of economic policies on quality of life.

1/ Norway (=)
2/ Iceland (=)
3/ Australia (=)
4/ Ireland (↑ 4)
5/ Sweden (↑ 1)
6/ Canada (↓ 1)
7/ Japan (↑ 4)
8/ United States (↑ 2)
9/ Switzerland (↓ 2)
10/ Netherlands (↑ 2)

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

A very interesting report, next time your in one of those " Im From the Best country in the World" debates just refer to the above table for the referees decision !!

Edit: Title.

[edit on 9-11-2006 by intrepid]

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Wow, take a look at the jump the Irish did. I'm disappointed in Canada's position. I remember when Canada was in the top 3.

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by slink
Wow, take a look at the jump the Irish did. I'm disappointed in Canada's position. I remember when Canada was in the top 3.

I think in the grand scheme of things the top 10, are all awfully close in living standards !

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
You shouldn't be too disappointed about Canada's position. 6 is a great spot. Look at the top 15, all are wonderful places to live. So are several below that list.

hdr.undp.org...

[edit on 12/23/06 by pugachev]

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Could you post a link please. We all know that the Canadians are continually sliding downhill. Ha ha. Snow sledding joke. No offense to the Canadians. They have really good beer but I don't know what you are talking about without a link or more explanation.

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Seems that Numbercruncher has lost his/her voice on these forums... It's making a couple threads rather confusing.

Here's the original link: Wiki

1/ Norway (=)
2/ Iceland (=)
3/ Australia (=)
4/ Ireland (↑ 4)
5/ Sweden (↑ 1)
6/ Canada (↓ 1)
7/ Japan (↑ 4)
8/ United States (↑ 2)
9/ Switzerland (↓ 2)
10/ Netherlands (↑ 2)

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by slink

Why so surprised as too how well the Irish did?
We have been constantly and consistantly doing well in these reports for years.
Though in other reports we have a larger group living in poverty than ever before..
There is also a huge gap between the richest and the poorest.

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   
it's not really Canada doing downhill I think... It's more the other countries better and we just stagnate

new topics

top topics

join