It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan Willing to Seal Off Border With Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Pakistan says it's considering a Dutch request for it to seal off its border with Afghanistan. Dutch Foreign Minister Ben Bot has told Islamabad that it should fence off the border to stop Taliban forces infiltrating into Afghanistan. Last week, the Netherlands assumed command of the NATO-led mission in southern Afghanistan, which is struggling against a mounting Taliban insurgency.

Source

Pakistan Willing to Seal Off Border With Afghanistan

(VOA) Pakistani Foreign Minister Khursheed Kasuri says Islamabad is willing to seal its border with Afghanistan by building a fence to stop militants from infiltrating into Afghan territory.

Kasuri made the remark during talks with his Dutch counterpart, Bernard Bot, who suggested sealing the border during his visit in the Afghan capital, Kabul, a day earlier.

He also said that the fenced border should be jointly monitored by both Pakistani and Afghan security forces.

A Foreign Ministry statement says Bot welcomed Pakistan's readiness to seal the Afghan-Pakistani border and told Kasuri he would discuss this with other NATO partners.

Source

Great news, hopefully it will help secure Afghanistan and prevent the border crossing of Pakistani Taliban militants.

[edit on 9-11-2006 by Mdv2]

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   
That would be great, but I thought they said it was impossible because of the rugged terrain and that area was under tribal control. At least that is what they said when we asked for help finding bin Laden.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I am pretty sure it would be possible to construct a border fence, but would it be effective? Fences are easy to dig under... In my opinion it would only be a succesful method if they closely guard the fence from both sides. Some kind of Iron Curtain idea...

new topics

join