It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria:Military Intervention To Re Claim Golan Heights?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   
The Syrian Information Minister Mohsen Bilal has adressed a crowd of Golan arabs within a stones throw from the Israeli controlled Golan Heights,according to Y Net News.
The minister claimed "Military resistance"will be the only option to Syria in a few months if the Golan Heights are not handed back.

www.ynetnews.com
In a rare visit to the Israeli controlled Golan Heights, Syria's information minister yesterday delivered what amounted to a pep speech to Golan residents, telling them Damascus would use "resistance" to liberate the strategic territory if a "political solution" does not ensure Israel vacates the Golan Heights within the next few months.

"If in the next coming months there will not be a political solution, military resistance will be the only solution for Syrians," announced Information Minister Mohsen Bilal, shouting on a loudspeaker from the Syrian border just feet from a fence that separates the Israeli controlled sections of the Golan from Syria.

Bilal was talking to Golan Arabs gathered in Ein al-Tina, a border village that regularly serves as a conduit of cross-border conversation between Syrians living in the Golan and those inside Syria.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

What is the plan here?
Syria knows the Israelis track record on handing back land.
They know they will not give it back.
They seem to be playing into the hands of the Olmert government,who would love to take a pop at Syria.
Seems a bit foolish on the part of Syria,as any use of military force would be a green light for a US/Israeli attack on Damascus.

Do Syria sense a weakness in Israel,due to the recent US midterm results maybe?

I can`t work out their intentions here.
Any Ideas?

Related News Links:
www.haaretz.com

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Bilal's statements, recorded by Golan residents and passed to WND, follow information, first reported by WorldNetDaily in July, that Syria is in the process of forming its own Hizbullah-like guerrilla organization to attack Israeli positions in the Golan Heights, according to a senior Baath party official.

No wonder why it doesn't make much sense. I tend to take worldnetdaily with a shaker of salt.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Maybe that first source isn`t entirely credible ,but others are reporting similar threats as well.

nyjtimes.com...

external source
"The Syrian minister welcomed a debate going on in Israel about whether to resume negotiations with Damascus on the Golan Heights, which Syria lost to Israel in the Six-Day War. He went on to say: “We now have a window of opportunity of several months. If there is no progress, the countdown will begin for a new Syrian-Israeli war.”

or this one:

www.sana.org...

external source
" Opening the First International Media Forum hosted by Syrian Province Quneitra entitled 'Golan: The Peace Gate' with a wide participation by Syrian, Arab and foreign journalists, the Minister stressed that Syria will restore Golan to the last grain of its soil.

The Forum started activates from Ein al-Tina village where a big crowd of Syrian citizens gathered on the opposite side in the occupied town of Majdal Shams to express their steadfastness in facing the Israeli occupation and to show full belonging to their mother land Syria.

Talking to the Syrians in the occupied Golan through loudspeakers across the barbed wires, Minister Bilal underlined that their steadfastness in facing the Israel occupation will definitely force it to withdraw to June 4th 1967 line."

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 09:35 AM
link   
well several days ago Syria gave a press release that they wanted peace...Israel simultaneously issued a war with syria press release.

The first WND article made it seem like the Syrian was actually in Golan addressing the syrians and the bottom one you just posted said he was talking through a barbed wire fence assuring the syrian residents that Syria would gain back their land. Those people are not Israeli and they do not wish to be Israeli. Its not incitement, they want to return to being part of their country on their land.

Surprisingly even though one of the owners of that WND is Lebanese American, he is constantly critical of any Arab country and is extremely leaning towards Israel. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't have Philangist ties which would explain a lot.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Nicely pointed out Pieman,
Maybe this is more of an Israeli Psy-op rather than saber rattling by Syria.
I will be interested if this gets more mainstream notice.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I will assure you, the Gholan Heights has NO stratigic resource, location, anything for that matter of anykind worth going to war over. The Syrians may have given the residence there a little pep talk, but it will amount to nothing.

You have to understand, Israel and Syria do not like eachother one bit, and that is exactly why they both love the Golan Heights! It is a natural boundry that seperates Syria from Israel. The hostile desert restricts movement from terrorist cells, and is to far to launch rockets, keeping Syria issolated from Israel. Why has there been peace between Israel and Syria for so long? Because of the Golan Heights, Syria recognized long ago that they did not need that land, and that the natural buffer was a good thing. If you cannot associate Israel, best to jsut pretend they are not there. Israel likewise will not move military p[ersonell into the Heights as a staging area because of the sensitive relations between Syria and Israel.

I would not worry about war between these two nations, no one would benifit. Israel would loose quite a bit of men and money doing it, destabalize the region and Syria would not go to a war they wouldn't win over peasants in the Heights.

EDIT: Check out my thread on Bashar Al Asad, the current leader of Syria. You will find, while he does not like Israel he is a very rational leader and would not make such a stupid decision as to go to war with Israel.

politics.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 11/9/2006 by Rockpuck]

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I hope you are right Rockpunk,another war in the region would be a disaster.
I just found this:

external source
"Israel has `hundreds' of tactical and strategic nuclear weapons, including more than 100 nuclear artillery shells, nuclear landmines in the Golan Heights and hundreds of low-yield neutron warheads."

THE NEW YORK TIMES on Oct. 20, 1991"

Although this is from a 1991 new york times,i found the quote here:

www.counterpunch.org...

If thats true about the nuclear landmines,I doubt Syria would be too keen on the idea of trying to assault the heights.
Nuclear landmines though-What a completely stupid weapon. No control of the fallout direction,as how the hell would the Israelis know when the mines would be triggered?
Sounds like a bit of creative BS from the New York times to me...

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I doubt they use nuclear landmines... there would be no purpose of it.. and dangerous.. imagine a goat wondering the deseret and BAM .. nuclear detonation lol.

Unless it is nukes placed within the earth deeper down to blow the land up, like a bubble, then down, like a crator. Sure to kill anything within the radiace of the blast, and radiation leak at a minimum (it would most likely be within kilitons) and detonated via computer, not steping on them.

Israel does have a large nuclear arsonal. It does include nuclear warheads, attached to ICBMs and short range missles. They have nuclear cannons as well, often called frogs I believe, they are not really used to kill people with a blast, but to deploy a nuclear radition fall out curtain across a given territory to prevent any living thing from crossing it. America and NATO forces had these deployed in Turkey, Germany, and all along the Baltic states. In the event the USSR went to war with America, America and NATO where to deploy them to prevent a USSR troop advance. They may have been deployed by USSR in Cuba during the Cuban missle crisis, which is why it would have been devastating if we attacked Cuba then. They also used DU Shels. Depleted Uraniam is used often by American troops, especially in both Iraqi invasions. A tank destroyed by a DU shell in the first gulf war will still be coated with radiation enough to kill you to this day.

But the big threat is Israels airforce.. crossing the Golan Heights would not be an easy, speedy task. By the time Syria got there men to within fighting range, 1,000's of sorties would have been carried out against them.

Syria does not have a very efficiant military either.. they would be much stronger then Lebanon, and of course Palestine.. but not enough to take on Israel. Iran might help, but why help just to gain desert peasants? .. The whole thing just doesn't make sense, it does not follow a logic and there for you can caste it aside as fear mongering.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   

by Rockpunk
"I doubt they use nuclear landmines... there would be no purpose of it.. and dangerous.. imagine a goat wondering the deseret and BAM .. nuclear detonation lol.

Unless it is nukes placed within the earth deeper down to blow the land up, like a bubble, then down, like a crator. Sure to kill anything within the radiace of the blast, and radiation leak at a minimum (it would most likely be within kilitons) and detonated via computer, not steping on them."

ROFL,
Goats could kick off a nuke war...fantastic image man.I can`t stop laughing.Ah,you gotta laugh.
Something very "monty python" about that.

The deep earth mines sound a more realistic scenario.Don`t the Israeli`s call their Nukes "the Samson option?"

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Nuclear landmines? My goodness.

Interesting nickname for a nuclear program "Samson"

Keep in mind the story of Samson in the Bible and the end that he met. He pulled down the central beams of the Phillistine temple killing thousands, but also killing himself...

Interesting to think about it from that perspective...

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I was under the impression that the Israeli Samson option had something to do with Cobalt jackets being fitted around their nuclear weapons. A kind of modern day salting the earth.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Djarums,
Yes thats why i think they refer to it as the Samson option...damned scary.

Chris Mcgee,
What effect would the cobalt jackets have?
Sounds interesting-got a link?

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Rockpuck: I will assure you, the Gholan Heights has NO stratigic resource, location, anything for that matter of anykind worth going to war over...

The Golan forms part of the aquifer-system that supplies Israel with most of their water supply, and is so vital to national security that they will never give up the area willingly, as to do so would severely comprimise Israeli 'water-security'

...Syria, with plenty of water, would have gained no civilian advantage from this [water diversion] plan, except for the political objective of destroying Israel without having to go to war or employing military means...
...The struggle for the water continued for years and constituted one of the principal causes of the Six Day War. It should be stressed that most of the tributary streams flowing into the Jordan and the Kinneret originate on the Golan slopes...

Israel and water security

[edit on 9-11-2006 by timski]

Mod Edit: BB Code.

[edit on 11/11/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Fascinating Timski.
thanks for the Info.surely this puts a stop to any ideas of nuclear landmines then.The Israelis would not poison their own water.
Also this adds weight to the argument that Israel will never relinquish the Golan heights.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silicone Synapse

What effect would the cobalt jackets have?
Sounds interesting-got a link?

The cobalt jackets would make the area the bomb struck and a lot of the surrounding areas pretty much uninhabitable. There are some nasty effects, see:

Wiki

Cobalt bomb (scroll to bottom)

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Thanks Chris...Sounds Horrible.
So the cobalt would only have a short half life-but the plutonium would still be bad for centuries.
But even the cobalt jacketed bomb would contain plutonium so-
I`m not sure if i understand correctly-would a cobalt bomb be worse than a regular "nook" in terms of fallout?
Have you seen the movie "trinity and beyond?"
I was wondering if any of the bombs in that film were cobalt jacketed-i dont think i remember them mentioned.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 07:19 PM
link   
They have been making these threats for years when it was politically expedient fir them to do so. They have also said repeatdly that the return of the Golan was the number one condition for peace and recognition of Israel. Israel isn't going to return it so it is a safe rhetorical ploy for the masses should they start getting restless. That is all.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   
So did Israel seize this land so that they could keep it to themselves? What do they plan to do with it?

Uh.. how can capitalists seize other people's land and say that supports the market system?

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   
yes Israel seized the Golan in I believe the 67 war. Syria was using it as a base to launch rocket attacks into Israel. It is not called the heights for nothing...it looks down over the Galilee form at considerable elevation.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Hey what's with all those excessive line breaks, lack of spacing after commas and quotes, bad spelling and various other typos and syntax. You've been around far too long for such a multitude of sloppiness. Eghads and it takes a lot for me to complain, cause I am the king of grammatical errors. Whoever approved the submission without making corrections is no better.

Syrian Info Minister Mohsen Bilal

We Are Ready for the Next War Kommersant

Syrian Information Minister Mohsen Bilal stated yesterday that Damascus is ready to take the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights back by force. In the Israeli general staff, they say that a war with Syria and Hezbollah may take place next year. In the time remaining, the Israeli military should correct the mistakes that were seen in the recent war in Lebanon. Kommersant Israeli correspondent Grigory Asmolov visited the Lebanese border to find out how the army is preparing for renewed warfare.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Looks like another round of war is all set to go and would explain the recent and large naval presence in the region. Wonder what the UN plans to do when UNIFIL starts getting shelled?

[edit on 11-11-2006 by Regenmacher]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join