It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cook to Impress: Dinner Date

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 04:12 AM
link   
You've got an attractive date. It's Thursday night. She/He's coming over at 7 and you don't get back from work until 5:30. What do you make?

CX

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Just about anything in an hour and a half.

I'd say as long as it was cooked and she is'nt left with the burnt offerings some guys produce, she'll be pleased.

I'd just stay away from anything too messy like spag bol in case she's wearing something real nice for the date.

Have you asked her what kind of foods she likes? Whilst it's nice to suprise a lady, i think it's better if they are'nt suprised with a dish they can't stand or can't eat.

Not much help on the "what to cook" front, but good luck anyway.

CX.

Cug

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   
It all depends on what you have on hand and what you know about the date. I mean fixing a beef dish when they are a vegan is not going to go over well.

Anyway French is always a good way to impress, coq au vin followed with a creme brule for desert will knock their socks off.

If you really are not a good cook, just go with one of your favorites, something that you know you can pull off.

[edit on 11/9/2006 by Cug]

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Coq Au Vin and Creme Brulee might be a little tough in an hour and a half. You might need some pretty serious skills for those two also.

Buy some peeled and deveined uncooked shrimp. Make a marinade of olive oil (chile oil if you have it), two teaspoons tomato paste, teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt), red pepper flakes if you don't have chile oil, pinch of salt and pepper, juice of one lime or a little white wine. Whisk it all together and pour it over the shrimp in a zip loc bag. All it takes is an hour to marinate, more and the juice or wine cooks the shrimp.

Take a shower, you just got home from work.

After you shower, put some apsaragus spears in a baking dish, drizzle with Olive oil, season with salt and pepper.

Prepare a cup of jasmine rice.

Now, depending on where you live, you can skewer and grill the shrimp weahter permitting or saute, roast the asparagus at 400 for about ten minutes, cook the rice. Do not overcook the shrimp.

Sprinkle a little parsley on the rice, plate the asparagus and shrimp and you're good to go. A little diced roast red pepper looks great in the rice.

Hot fudge sunday for desert.

Easy, fast, and the shrimp and asparagus are loved by women with normal eating habits everywhere. Eveybody likes a hot fudge Sunday.

Martinis make excellent appetizers, and two before dinner will mask any cooking mistakes. Everything tastes good after two martinis.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I assume you're a man with little cooking experience...I would suggest something simple like a great steak (prime filet mignon, porterhouse, New York strip, or rib steak) grilled medium rare on a charcoal or gas grill or indoors on a grill pan. Add baked potatoes and just some peas or green beans in cream microwaved plus some bought croissants or french bread and you've got a quick and great meal!

I hope whatever you do works out!

Cug

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Musky
Coq Au Vin and Creme Brulee might be a little tough in an hour and a half. You might need some pretty serious skills for those two also.

You see, that's the whole point.. people are impressed and intimidated by the French names, never mind that it's just French farmer food and dirt simple to make. Take Coq au Vin for example, fry bacon, brown chicken in the bacon grease, throw it in a pot with some herbs, veggies and wine and stick it in the oven that's pretty much it.

You also have more than an hour and a half.. add about 30-45 min after the date arrives for before dinner drinks and chit-chat.

Of course this assumes the poster is at least 21 so he can buy some wine.

jaguarmike, don't forget to fill us in with what you did.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 12:08 AM
link   
If you want to have the date of your dreams then you can never go wrong with a roofie! Just slip it in her drink and pretty soon she's your's for the taking!

JUST A JOKE!!! I do not condone the slipping of drugs to anyone without their knowledge. Anyone who does should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. This was only a JOKE. We now return to your regular broadcast.

But on a serious note... theres TONS of recipes online. Just enter your criteria... words like "quick dinner recipes" or "easy recipes" or "good dinner date recipes" etc, etc.

Since you're on BTS asking what to cook for a date I have to assume that you're a novice when it comes to cooking- especially for a date. So my advice to you is K.I.S.S.- KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID! Don't aim for the fences or you could end up striking out. Make something simple, yet impressive. And ALWAYS have a back-up plan if things fail. As long as you try and the food is at least somewhat edible then the girl will be very appreciative and happy for your efforts.

If your nervous about cooking, then have someone come over to your crib and put everything together that you need for dinner- even cook it if its possible. Keep it in the fridge (if possible, it depends on the food) and warm it up and throw everything together before your date arrives. She'll think you made it!

Good luck and let us know how it went

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Cmon its JAGUARMIKE!?!?! If you've read my posts you know i'm older than 21.

Thanks for the input! So far I think the best ideas have to be the steak (simple, satisfying, to the point) or the French meal. I personally love French food (being it's in my blood) and creme brulee is to die for. As for cooking experience, I have little. I'll let you all know how it goes!

p.s. Let's talk wines now. What is the best wine for steaks, or different types of wine for different steaks?

[edit on 10-11-2006 by jaguarmike]

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Go for a pinot noir or a cabernet if your going for steak. If you really like you could even go for a Merlot or a Shiraz if you like those wines.

It depends on what your really like and what your "guest" would like. Some people are die hard white wine maniacs and anything which is rogue is piss to them ! And then if you want to be all prissy about it you could go and check how dry they like their wine and how your wine balances you cuisine etc etc/

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 01:02 AM
link   
1 bag fresh baby carrots
1 bag fresh broccoli florettes [or sufficient broccoli stalks]
2 boneless chicken breasts
4 slices swiss cheese
4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
italian seasoning
brown sugar
butter
soy sauce

Home @ 5:30:
Take a shower you've got plenty of time.

6:00:
Wash chicken breasts and lay on board/plate. fork thoroughly on both sides.
Place in bowl and smother with soy sauce, douse with italian seasoning. Let stand in 'fridge.

6:10:
Half a stick of butter in a small sauce pan until melted, add half cup brown sugar and bring to boil, allow to carmelize. Set aside.

6:20:
One serving dish filled with bbay carrots. One with broccoli florettes. Add 2 tablespoons water to each and wrap tightly with saran wrap. Microwave both on High for 10 minutes, stopping and turning 1/4 turn at the 5 minute mark.

6:30:
Turn oven on Broil, allow to preheat.
Remove carrots from microwave, drain, add carmelized sauce. Cover and place back into microwave.
Remove broccoli from microwave, drain, add 2 tablespoons of butter. Cover and place back into microwave.

6:40:
Put chicken breasts on broiler pan and place under broiler.

6:47-50:
Flip chicken breasts and place back under broiler.
[^^ do not overcook the chicken]

6:55-58:
Remove chicken breasts from broiler. layer with slices of swiss, cheddar, swiss, cheddar adding a touch of italian seasoning and soy sauce between each.

TURN broiler OFF and Place back under broiler for about 3-5 minutes, until melted.
Turn microwave on high for 3 minutes.

While that's happening, meet and greet your date at the door, make them comfortable. Drink, music, etc. RELAX

Now,
Set two dinner plates.
Remove carrots and broccoli from microwave.
Remove chicken breasts from broiler.
Place a chicken breast on each plate.
Spoon ample portions of carrots and broccoli onto the remaining halves of the plate.

There you go,
Quick
Colorful
and the chicken is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!

A glass of wine and your good to go.

Tried and True.

[edit on 11/10/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 01:21 AM
link   
12mkeall2c,

I am using that recepie !!!

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAF101
12mkeall2c,

I am using that recepie !!!

You won't be dissapointed. Just remember do not overcook the chicken breasts. They're boneless and will cook quickly under the broiler.

The key for the chicken is to thoroughly "fork" each breast on both sides, it allows for the soy sauce to soak in while marinading.

I like to skip the butter on the broccoli and substitute sliced american cheese, sometimes. I like cheese.

Enjoy! Lemme know what you think.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Wow that sounds great! I love soy sauce, love cheese, and love chicken- looks like a winner!

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 03:56 AM
link   
That chicken does sound good!

Of course if you go with that, you have to rethink the wine...you need a white wine.

edit:

You should also have the basic liquors and mixers to make the most popular cocktails, unless you know exactly what this person will want (then, of course, you can just get that
).

[edit on 11/10/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I'm surprised that most important parts have been left out!

Assuming that the lady is classy, and someone you want to impress, it becomes less about the menu and more about the presentation.

When she arrives, the table should be already set, with some soft background music... something endearing but forgettable, instrumental jazz for instance.

If your place is a typical guy's pad, a spray of Febreeze wouldn't hurt.

Have two bottles of wine on the counter, a red and a white. I'd recommend a merlot (dry, a bit of sliced cheese or toast makes a great accompaniment), and a spatlese reisling (sweet, good by itself). The red should be open and breathing, and the white should be on ice. Offer her the choice, and be able to back it up with at least that level of context. Have appropriate glasses, as well.

Time it so that when she walks in the door, you should have about 10-15 minutes left of cooking. Bread in the oven (even if it's just out-of-a-can crescent rolls) adds a nice background aroma. As a final touch, let her see you sautéing part of the meal, while you talk to her and share those glasses of wine.

All of this shows skill and ease in what you're doing... the average female these days does not cook, clean, or plan social events... and you've just demonstrated that you can do all that on your own, and make it look good. You show that you are refined and cultured... and most importantly, that you are willing to put forth that effort for her.

Ahh, and before I forget... (though, if you are putting this together the day its supposed to happen, it may be to late) make sure your menu consists of food she will eat. Wouldn't want you to spend time on that beef burgundy, only to learn that she is a vegetarian.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 09:34 PM
link   
oh have I got a meal for you, take 1lb of shrimp and sauté with portabella mushrooms and sundried tomatoes and as much garlic as you can stand (for me that is about 4-5 large cloves but for the normal folk 2-3 will do, besides you don't want that cute date moving away on account of your breath) in butter. Make sure and use the real stuff and not the oil based country crap. While this is cooking boil some penne pasta adding a little olive oil and salt to the water to keep it from sticking together.

After sauté for about 10 minutes maybe a little longer depending on what size of shrimp you have you will want to add about 3/4 a quart of half and half. At this point watch it very closely as little heat has the ability to erupt the mix all over the stove. You want it to bubble vigorously for about 2 minutes while constantly stirring. Now add the shrimp and white sauce to the noodles. stir until there is a even dispersion of sauce on the noodles. Add some parmesain cheese and a little black pepper and serve with garlic bread.

Note this is how I make it and it would serve a family for dinner, reduce by half if it is for two people and you don't want leftovers. This is slap your grandma good and guaranteed to please. (don't let her see the ingredients or else she will worry about all the fat and ruin a meal she would love not knowing any different.)

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
roast duck breast is an easy one and you would just have time, takes about an hour, if you can do the prep in advance. I love duck, try putting a glaze on it, such as honey and mustard, with roast potatoes and some other veg, I think duck is always impressive when cooked nice.

Or for something even easier and still tasty, you could try frying beefsteak cut into small strips with broccoli and celery (and any other veg) and cashew nuts, season the steak with chinese 5 spice, after is fried cook in a little beef stock for a few mins. Serve with creamy mashed potatoe with parslye and spring onion mixed thru. For a sauce you can have creme freche or yogurt mixed with soy sauce, (half & half). Very easy and tasty, the cashews give it a nice crunch too. Only takes about 30 mins between prep and cooking.

Whatever you do, something simple or more adventurous, you should do a practice run of it in advance if you are aiming to impress. Cooking is easy but takes practice, so the more times you can cook the meal before the big night, the better the chances you will produce a nice meal.
Bon apetite

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jaguarmike

IDK but she better get on it, time is running out.

new topics

top topics

join