It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian ATS Members in support of our comrade in Active Duty

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Glad I could help.

Now that I'm all done fixing myself up, as predicted, I don't know who I am!

I bought a card for DE and I'm going to send it off on Tuesday, with a printout of our little military support thread. I just have to remember to write Duzey on it somewhere so he knows who sent it.

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch, be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields

~ Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae

PS to all the Mods who might wander into this thread: Ok, so it's not incredibly political, but it's very Canadian and it's a special occasion. If you let us leave this thread here, that would be really nice of you.

Don't make me use the tears!

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   
All the best to you Deus Ex!

You're a real hero.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 07:47 AM
link   
So how about that Harper dude?

There political enough?

This thread is a tough one, most times the avatar indicates who has posted. Has anyone seen Duzey?

JG & Duze, very thoughtful. I'm sure your kindness will bring a smile to Deus' face.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Duzey who?

Here's a picture of that Harper guy...

And that Layton fellow...

And the Governor General...

And more important than the previous three, these people (9 of them seem to be missing
)

Canadian military personnel killed

First World War: 1914-1918 66,655

Second World War: 1939-1945 44,893

Korean conflict: 1950-1953 516

Peacekeeping: 1956-2006 121

Afghanistan: 2002-2006 42

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
HNIC did a fitting tribute tonight of all these soldiers aswell. It was very nice.

Cherry has always had the utmost respect for our troops.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I saw that.

I noticed that the Leafs had poppies on their helmets, but I couldn't tell if the Habs did. Could you?

If not,
to the Habs and you deserved to get your butts kicked.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Wow, Wow, Wow......Wow!

I assure you they did!

People have been committed for far less Duze. Speaking negatively of the Les Canadiens carries a rather stiff punishment.

Unfortunately the ass kicking we received tonight will allow you off the hook this time.

Ed:

www.canadiens.com...

Koivu proudly supporting one. Nice tribute by both teams involved.

[edit on 11-11-2006 by chissler]

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Pffft.

Habs, shmabs.

I guess I didn't notice their poppies, the red on white just stood out better. They still deserved the butt-whooping.

Me, biased? Never.

Go Canucks!

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   
CANUCKS!!! Dang...I missed the game
...so unfair. I know we're not doing so well so far but...I really for the first time am getting into Hockey...

Go Canucks...

Sadly I didn't see much remembrance around the area today...a few poppies here and there...nothing really spectacular. I know Global did a nice piece but not sure about teh other stations.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 11:37 PM
link   
This weekend I went to Kettle Point, Ontario. I have a cottage there which I have been busy renovating every chance that I can get. Kettle Point is a reserve belonging the Chippewas First Nations.

At the Reserve, there is a beautiful monument which is situated in a small parkade. The memorial commemorates the sacrifice of the First Nations peoples in Canada's wars. There are four statues of natives, from Tecumseh to a Viet Nam era soldier; a reminder of the specific sacrifice made by members of the First Nations not only for Canada but for the United States as well.

I was, frankly, surprised at first to see such a large group of people gather on what was a cold, blustery, rainy morning. I suppose I came to this idea when I considered how the First Nations people have been treated and, often violated, in their long association of British, Canadian and American governments. Very quickly, however, I learned that the First Nation peoples have been willing to join and participate in the military even though they might not have always been treated very well. During WWII, for example, native peoples made up the largest visually identifiable minority in the Canadian military. Yet, when these very same men who served in the Canadian military, they were met with racism, denied benefits and often denied the basic rights that other non-natives received. Yet, First Nations peoples continued to enlist and serve in the military of Canada and the United States.

I could not understand how the First Nations people could continue to join the military of the very same governments that so-often violated treaties and denied the basic civil rights of those who served. Then, as I stood in the rain among proud veterans and their families, I realized that the First Nation peoples stood proud because they fought for the ideals and principles that motivate all people -- freedom, liberty and justice.

While the First Nations have not always been treated justly, the principles they fought for were deeply ingrained into their traditions and culture. I was deeply moved to look into the faces and eyes of brave men who fought so that others might be free.

It made me realize that, for all of the misgivings that we might hold about our government, Canada and the United States are made up of people who will courageously give of themselves to serve principles and ideals that are really bigger than any one man, one political party or government. While we sometimes doubt the motives of our government, let us not doubt for one minute that, ultimately, the only motive that the men and women of the military hold is for that of Peace, of Justice and of Freedom. These are ideals that we all hold dear.

All I can say is thank you. Thank you to men and women of the military for the sacrifice that you have given all of us in the pursuit of Peace of Freedom and of Justice.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Hiya!

Got a letter from Deux Ex today! he's doing well but is damn tired. I posted the gist of it on my blog if you want to read it

Apparently the whole barracks has little else to do in these early weeks of basic, tha read, listen to the radio, argue and maybe do a few chin-ups

So head over to DE's blog or in this thread somewhere is the address...and mail this guy some reading material!

He misses us all and due to being in basic he's fairly isolated from the outside world

Drop him a note even if it's just a few lines...

Books and magazines will definitely get good use.

He will write yah back...not that he has a lot of time but he does get to it

Cheers!

JG

[edit on 11/29/2006 by justgeneric]

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I really don't know what to say about this. It's a shock, a wonderful shock to find this thread. Thanks, everyone.

On November the 11th, A, B and C Divisions of the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruitment School formed up on the parade ground. I was there, standing in front of the Cenotaph as our veterans laid wreaths for our fallen. There were tears, and there were only a few thoughts on my mind that day. To honor the fallen, and to give all you have to give. That's all that I wanted to do. I'm no hero, I'm just someone who wants to do something for those who came before, and those who serve now.

DE

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Just a few lines to make you know I support what you are doing, and just to wish all the Canadian soldiers (and everyone at the same time
) an Happy Christmas and I hope you receive everything you ask from Santa

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
It's a shock, a wonderful shock to find this thread.

I guess this means you didn't get my letter or the card I sent.
There were over 30 pages of ATS goodness is that envelope!

Canada Post!

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Nawp, sorry Duze. If another Pte. Matyskiel got it, I'll be pissed.

Once again, to re-interate my address:

T29 261 714
Pte. Matyskiel, JC
R0013E
CFLRS St. Jean Garrison
PO Box 100 Station Bureau-Chef
Richelain, Quebec, Canada
J0J 1R0

When did you send it? Maybe it'll be waiting for me when I get back...

DE

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I sent it in November, so I think it is lost. *sigh*

I hope you are having a nice holiday from all the hard work.

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Yeh, a nice time making my ass cookie dough again. When I get back, first day, 7.2km ruckmarch. After that, a week on base, a week in the field, a week in base, two in the field, then grad week. Oorah!

DE

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Deus, you know how I feel. You're ARE my avvy. Be strong and thanks.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join