It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone tell me what the Davinci Code is all about?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Heard about it forever. But would like to know more about it. Whats the big deal about the whole thing. Plus I dont feel like reading the book lol. Any help would be apperichated thanks.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Books pretty exciting although it tight-ropes fiction and non-fiction (which I like). It is about davincci leaving a secret code within the paintings about the vatican church's deepest secrets. It puts him into a secret society that has forever protected the truth that the holy grail was not a cup, but a secret bloodline of Jesus Christ with his love Mary Magdaline.

It is a satisfying read so i suggest you find out for yourself. Also, there is a pretty sweet assassin in the book that is albino and creepy.

AAC

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 12:57 AM
link   
It's basically a fictional work by Dan Brown with some fact thrown in. In it the church is covering up the fact that Jesus was human and was married to Mary Magdalene and that their descendants are alive today.

It's a good read if you like conspiracy, mystery, and little history thrown in. I read the book and liked it.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 01:06 AM
link   
It is a fictional book that claims to be the truth but is really an attack on the truth.

If you don't know the truth, I suggest you don't read it. If you know the truth, it would be good for a laugh except that you realize those that don't know the truth are being fed a crock..........and they buy it.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 03:54 AM
link   
It's a decent book, but like the others said, there are some factual errors and twisting of the truth. I'm actually reading "Deception Point" by the same author right now, and so far I'm liking it better, although he's stretching a few of his facts in that one, too. The one difference is that in Deception Point, he could make the claim that the technology he is making up is simply science fiction, although, like the Da Vinci Code, he has a note at the beginning of the novel claiming all the tech and organizations in the book are real. (most/all the organizations and some of the tech is, while others are either slightly futuristic or totally unrealistic)

There is a prequel to Da Vinci Code (Angels & Demons) but it is not necessary to read one to understand the other. The only common thread is the main character.

The real trick with reading this book is knowing what is based on real history and what is totally made up. I had to check several facts out that I was suspicious of or wasn't sure of. Some he gets right, some he does not.

One last thing: the movie sucked. It's a waste of time :p

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 05:02 AM
link   

It is a fictional book that claims to be the truth but is really an attack on the truth.

Your fundamentalism is showing. The book is an attack on nothing.
Most of the information in TDVC has been around for hundreds of years, dating from
at least 700CE. In the last 25 years or so there have been several books written on the
subject from HBHG in1979-80 to Woman with the Alabaster Jar and many in between.

I agree with you about the movie it sucked. BIG TIME.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I found it to be a great read. Everything you could want in a conspiracy related novel.
I'd highly recommend you go and get it and read it for yourself.

If your wondering about the so called controversy surrounding the book, it's an attack on christianity etc: you may want to Read this from Dan Brown Himself

enjoy the book

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by greywolf1

Most of the information in TDVC has been around for hundreds of years, dating from
at least 700CE. In the last 25 years or so there have been several books written on the
subject from HBHG in1979-80 to Woman with the Alabaster Jar and many in between.

Greywolf,you have to remember that that comment came from someone who openly denies that Christians took part in the crusades or the inquisition.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Lets stick to the topic, not what one another says in other threads.

Originally posted by Everythingyouknowisalie
Heard about it forever. But would like to know more about it.

Brown takes a bunch of different conspiracy/alternative theories about christianity, and mashes them all together to create the plotline for a world in which his main character, Robert Langdon, has an adventure in.

. Plus I dont feel like reading the book lol.

Then whats the point? Its a work of fiction, its a fictional novel. What is the point of having people explain it to you?

[edit on 9-11-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by madhatter
I found it to be a great read. Everything you could want in a conspiracy related novel.
I'd highly recommend you go and get it and read it for yourself.

If your wondering about the so called controversy surrounding the book, it's an attack on christianity etc: you may want to Read this from Dan Brown Himself

enjoy the book

???????????What read what more lies??????????? Will that help?

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I hope it's showing. I'm not about hiding it. The book is an attack on the truth plain and simple. It's not hard to take the book apart piece by piece as it is basically a crock.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Of course its not hard to take the book apart, its not hard to pick apart an episode of star trek either. Its fiction. If people want to beleive that jesus was just some mere human and he was married to and had a kid with mary magdelen, then thats their business, and they're foolish if they beleive it because of a fictional book.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   
It's like a Where's Waldo book, but not as good.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

Greywolf,you have to remember that that comment came from someone who openly denies that Christians took part in the crusades or the inquisition.

You seem to have trouble understanting that the Roman empire that killed Christians suddenly welcomed them with open arms.

If you can't kill your competitor, Just take over his company.

Your lack of knowledge in history should require you to change your name.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sun Matrix

Your lack of knowledge in history should require you to change your name.

Your lack of knowledge about Christian accountability should require you to change your name to "excuse-matrix" rather than "sun-matrix." Whatever that means? That is all I hear from you,excuses as to why Christians weren't involved in the inquisition or the Crusades. I have yet to see you present evidence that they weren't. I can show you historical proof that they were. Why can't you do like wise with your claim.? I can tell you why you can't,but I'm not going to be rude. Unlike you.

[edit on 9-11-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Sun_Matrix,I am informing you that you are officially on my ignore list,so don't bother responding. Your lack of knowldge about your own religion's history is appalling. I really don't have the patience to argue with you. What will wind up happening is that you and I will get to debating and I will get irritated and wind up getting banned. I am not going to risk it. Therefore,just keep in mind,from here on, I have you on ignore. So,don't expect me to respond to anymore that you have to say.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   
No problem, speaker of ?????. I'm used to dealing with those that lack knowledge and but like toss eggs.

Usually ends up the same........they want to toss eggs around and take off if one comes sailing back.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Anyway,back to the topic.. This thread has been hijacked thanks to myself
and Sun-Matrix

Brown's first three novels had mediocre success, with fewer than 10,000 copies in each of their first printings; but the fourth novel, The Da Vinci Code, became a runaway bestseller, going to the top of the New York Times Best Seller list during its first week of release in 2003. It is now credited with being one of the most popular books of all time (despite being heavily disparaged critically), with 60.5 million copies sold worldwide as of 2006. [6] Its success has helped push sales of Brown's earlier books. In 2004, all four of his novels were on the New York Times list in the same week[7], and in 2005, he made Time magazine's list of the 100 most influential people of the year. Forbes magazine placed Brown at #12 on their 2005 "Celebrity 100" list, and estimated his annual income at US$76.5 million. The Times estimated his income from 'Da Vinci Code' sales as $250 million.

People rage on and on about how the book is a novel. It's a novel!! Yeah, where has anyone ever said it was otherwise? I think where the confusion is...the book is based on 95% truth and 5% fiction. The fiction is what has gotten Brown into trouble.

He claims there are texts that declare that Jesus and Mary Magdalene "kissed." Actually the text that he is citing, The Nag Hammadi, is incomplete.There are words that have decayed away from the text. So there is no way to know what the text actually states....

Here is a paraphrase of what the text says,

Jesus often kissed Mary on blank.. The problem with this is that it could have originally said that he kissed her on her hand,head,forehead,back,cheek,etc. However,where have people deducted that Jesus must have kissed her? On her "lips." :shk:

Of course, we will never really know what the text originally stated because those words are gone..

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Sorry guys I didn't mean to start a fight lol. I bought the book and will give it a read. You guys ever hear of Michael Tsarion? He talks about some good stuff

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Everythingyouknowisalie
Sorry guys I didn't mean to start a fight lol. I bought the book and will give it a read. You guys ever hear of Michael Tsarion? He talks about some good stuff

Oh,no,no
, it wasn't you that did it. Sun_Matrix and myself are always after one another about something.
Your question was fine. I have heard of Tsarion...I can't recall what exactly he is about though.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join