It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALL MEMBERS READ - Moving Past Religion 101 and Staying on Topic

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by slymattb

it is not our way to stomp on another beliefs but simply to show them different and allow themselves to choose for themselves. Truth is a realization than must come from within the person and not be forced upon. The best religion, following or teaching is the one that does the most for you.
edit on 26-8-2013 by TheBrother because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBrother

they need to do like the flower power hippies and start a commune, maybe even buy some land in Guatemala?

or they could all up and move to England, cause nobody knows what's going on over there anymore... everybody and anybody can build a courthouse there because it's not really a nation no more, it's a den of vipers.

right up the satanist's alley!

edit on 9-12-2013 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

I agree completely. For every thesis ther MUST be antithesis. The very basis of judeo-christianity requires an adversary, who better than logical individuals making good argument. s long as ppl arent tools about it, why does it matter.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by AdeptofAmenti

Nobody is suggesting the the existence of God should not be discussed.
The point of the OP is that discussion of the question should be limited to threads where the topic is "Does God exist?", or similar, and not intruded into other topics.
"Keep to the topic of the thread" is one of the fundamental rules of ATS.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

well said, but what about the multitude of posts of theists hating on atheists/agnostics? many are not moderated at all. So we cannot defend ourselves?

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by AdeptofAmenti

See above.
If a theist starts a thread "hating on" atheists, then it would be on-topic for atheists to respond.
But if somebody starts a thread on a more restricted theme, like the meaning of a particular chapter in the epistle of James, then it would be off-topic for someone to come in and challenge him to prove the existence of God or the validity of the Bible (this is an actual example).
That's the kind of behaviour which this thread was intended to rebuke.
As everywhere else on ATS, the first principle is "keep to the topic of the thread".

While if the "atheist-hating" post is an off-topic contribution to somebody else's thread, then strictly speaking responding to it is also off-topic.

PS Look at the first page of this Theology forum. Can you identify even ONE atheist-hating thread?

edit on 29-12-2013 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
It seems that there is a pretty clear picture of what they are trying to tell you.

Faith- So you say that your belief does NOT rest on logical proof or material evidence?
Religion- So you say that your beliefs, values, and practices ARE based on the teachings of a spiritual leaders?
Theology- So you are saying that you study the nature of "god" (whichever god you chose to embrace) and religious (saying that you ARE religious) truth; rational inquiry INTO religious questions?

This has got to be the first time that I have EVER heard an atheist defend themselves, based on these grounds. If you don't believe in a god, then what evidence would you produce proving that a god exists? Or if you don't believe in a god, then WHAT type of "godless" spiritual leaders are you taking your cues from? Or if you don't believe in a god, then WHAT "nature" of god are you studying?

With THAT being said, you have only proven one thing; you are in it for DEBATE ONLY. There is NO religious bias here. It is only the definition of what "religion" is. Religious bias would suggest that they were supporting ONE religion over another which is not the case. You can't answer "yes" to ANY of these questions thus leading everybody to believe one thing, you are only interested in debate and not "religious" discussions.

Maybe you could start your own "Atheism" thread, where you could all bash "god" believing people together, and happily. There would be no bias then, and you could freely feed off of one another.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Why not make a forum called: "Demonology, spiritism and wickedness"?

Those topics would be seperated from this forum then.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

oktopus
Why not make a forum called: "Demonology, spiritism and wickedness"?

Just STOP with the 'wickedness' thing. The The Faith, Religion, and Theology forum is for discussions in those areas. Just because someone believes differently than you doesn't make that person 'wicked'.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: dbates

RELIGIONS UNITED
THE NEW GENERATION

This is a movement not an organization.  There are no leaders funders sponsors unlike currently existing corporation for peace. No money will ever be asked to donate and No person will ever be asked to help or volunteer

This movement represents the end of the dormant era and beginning of the awaken one

This movements is For world where religion is not abused for political and economical propaganda

This movement is  For world where religious dogma is not part of the monetary foundations of society. It is Only then society can progress politically economically environmentally and sustainable

This is a new millennium where we have acknowledged thar human race can only progress if we put our differences aside 

This movement is the voice of new generation

This movement is for people who believe...

...that different religious views don't separate us but instead enrich us as a whole

...that free speech does not equal discrimination 

...that humorous cartoon drawings of religious prophets are simply not even funny and are certainly  not a way to get a point across 

...that people who play GOD with wars and use of death sentence and harm do not bring justice to the table

The goal of this movement will be accomplished when the political leaders of all existing nations and the representatives of religions unite on the symbolical holly ground as one 

declaring to the world that...

...they recognize war on religion as a form of crime 

...religious intolerance is form of discrimination 

... people who play GOD and use wars, death sentence and harm as form of justice will not be tolerated 

declaring to the world the that...

...as one they will progress with absolute transparency to achieve peace and unity 

feel free to join the group at

m.facebook.com...

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBrother

let's unite I want to get in touch with eachother I feel like the lonely wolf

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBrother

what is the point of debating believes seriously
we need to find a common ground name stuff we have in common regardless of believe and let's move on
this limbo of battle of believes is so old school can we just all stop and see that the world has got some real problems from starving marvins to pointless wars I want to get in touch with people who are over this pettiness

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: dbates
reply to post by jiggerj

If someone said that they were reminded of the goodness of God every time they saw a baby smile would you interject that teeth were just made of calcium and the baby just had gas?

Technically, it would be on topic, so Ya I would do that

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

from ash we come to ash we will return ..and I realized ...to god a piece of grass is as important as I am

we are still ruled by 2000 year old gap between religios believes and fundelmentals of creation

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:14 AM
link   
a reply to: SubAce

Here's is what I would consider to be a more accurate definition of Christian faith...

Being persuaded and fully committed in trust, involving a confident belief in the truth, value, and trustworthiness of God. When it comes to Christianity, 'faith' is defined by three separate but vitally connected aspects (especially from Luther and Melancthon onwards): notitia (informational content), assensus (intellectual assent), and fiducia (committed trust). So faith is the sum of having the information, being persuaded of its truthfulness, and trusting in it. To illustrate the three aspects: "Christ died for ours sins" (notitia); "I am persuaded that Christ died for our sins" (notitia + assensus); "I deeply commit in trust to Christ who I am persuaded died for our sins" (notitia + assensus + fiducia). Only the latter constitutes faith, on the Christian view.

Consequently, notitia and fiducia without assensus is blind and therefore not faith. This shipwrecks the egregious canard that faith is merely a blind leap. Faith goes beyond reason—i.e., into the arena of trust—but never against reason. From the Enlightenment onwards, faith has been subject to constant attempts at redefining it into the realm of the irrational or irrelevant (e.g., Kant's noumenal category); but all such attempts are built on irresponsible straw man caricatures that bear no resemblance to faith as held under the Christian view: notitia, assensus, and fiducia.

(NOTE: "Christ died for our sins" is an example, not the sum, of notitia or informational content.)

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: miriam0566

There is different Hells, most souls experience underworlds as part of their mortal experience, a way to avoid what is normally necessary for progress of spirit, was given hence the atonement as the adversary's were cheating the system and found a way to bind souls in torment longer than they should be aloud, they were finding ways to use eternal law to bind souls so they couldn't get out. What you ask about Revelation 20.

11And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. 12And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. 13And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 14And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. 15And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

This scripture is speaking of those who do not repent even after experience underworlds and being offered again mercy in the resurrections, as by that time all those who have repented and choose to be in the Lambs Book of life, will have been resurrected. Understand also that many entity's of non human origin also reside in Death/Hades 'hell' and so they reap as sow for their kingdoms are what is truly cast into the lake of fire, burned up.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   
What if I don't believe what you believe? That makes me wrong? This whole site has become a thought garbage heap.
a reply to: dbates

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   
There are literally many who are not staying on topics in many of these threads.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: dbates
The Faith, Religion, and Theology forum exists as a place for member to discuss three important items.

• Faith - Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.
  • Religion - A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
  • Theology - The study of the nature of God and religious truth; rational inquiry into religious questions.

Venturing into this forum and participating in these discussions implies that you are interested in these topics. Of course you may have accidentally stumbled into this forum unaware, but now that you're read the above definitions, you can't claim ignorance. The very nature of the topics will plunge you headlong into the unknown. Who created us? Why are we here? What is out purpose in life? What happens after we die? Will the Dallas Cowboys ever win a Super bowl again? (Requires much faith to believe).

Thanks.

[edit on 8-11-2006 by dbates]

I’d love to discuss Faith, Religion, Theology, and if the Dallas Cowboys will ever make it to the super bowl. Important stuff. The problem is I have a higher calling. Got to get to the God phone in my plane ASAP. We were taking off in my private Lear Jet to drum up a few bucks from a few fools, and did not see the God Cross Signal in the sky telling me he wanted to talk. Don’t won’t to make him wait. Ya know when God gets pissed! Like boom, he sneezes and sends a plague to kill 70,000.

Probably is wanting me to clear up this false covid stuff and caught word from the fake news or those commie fake atheist doctors that over 800,000 people died from this fake China virus. Probably feels he should seeing more souls going to heaven. Guess I need to assure him, it is just a plot by the commie atheist left. Nothing to see.

Denny

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Totally agree with Occam. You are promoting censorship. Say I am a racist and want to discuss the improved job oppurtunities for white people. You are suggesting that no-one should be allowed to question my ideology of racism. Only allow discussion whether there'd be increased job oppurtunities for white people or not.

If you are threatened with people questioning your beliefs then perhaps your beliefs need be questioned.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join