It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rumsfeld Resigns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   
After six years as Secretary of Defense, during one of the most dividing wars in US history, Donald Rumsfeld has resigned his office. Robert Gates, former head of the CIA, will replace Rumsfeld.

www.cnn.com
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld, architect of an unpopular war in Iraq, intends to resign after six stormy years at the Pentagon, Republican officials said Wednesday.

Officials said Robert Gates, former head of the CIA, would replace Rumsfeld.

The development occurred one day after congressional elections that cost Republicans control of the House of Representatives, and possibly the Senate as well. Surveys of voters at polling places said opposition to the war was a significant contributor to the Democratic Party's victory.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The elections obviously had a large bearing on the timing of this resignation. While I do not question Rumsfeld's patriotism or service to his country, I believe this decision was long overdue.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   
My heart jumped for joy when I read this headline. Wow, this is like the fourth major figure in the Bush regime to resign from office? Colin Powell, Tom Ridge, John Asscroft, and now Rumsfeld.

Oh, my, the Bush regime stymied by democrap victors in congress, and now Rummy the Bummy resigns? Its like all my Christmases have come at once!

*hears the Hallelujia chorus in background*

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Yeah, Robert Gates is the president of my university.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
So now can war crime charges be laid?

Someone whould be held accountable for all those deaths, needlessly.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
beat me to that point about war crimes!

Donny the 'Dark one' has gone, and now Bush is going to have to struggle for 2 more years hobbled by no power in either layer of power making...

Gonna be a damn interesting 2 years for old Bushy boy and his ever shrinking posse.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Finally Bush is rid of this blood sucker!! I think this man should have been fired a long time ago!!

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I had been in a two day rut of feeling down and crappy...this has made my day
thank god he finally resigned, its a day to rejoyce for.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Maybe now we can get something done right Dem's have the house and a new director.

Only thing now is to wait two more years and have a new president and we will all be better off.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
So many one liners in this Post, I have been warned already about not adding more meanings to my posts, but I did it a few times in a row so maybe thats different. Just warning you people please write more, but I bet no one gives a writes you a complaint .

Can not believe gummy rummy has quit, its like they have left Bush to do it all.
What happens now? Does it mean Iraq will go back to dictatorship?

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by texmiller
Maybe now we can get something done right Dem's have the house and a new director.

Only thing now is to wait two more years and have a new president and we will all be better off.

Perhaps... I am not holding my breath. To me, neither party is doing this country much good.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Well, in an earlier thread about this topic I actually said I would support this, and I do. My reasons for supporting Rumsfeld's resignation are not political, fueled by anger, range and or revenge. I am quite interested in the state of the US military. Ans I do not agree with Rumsfeld's future vision of the US military and his idea of what combat systems we need for the future. In a time of rising future strategic enemies such as Russia and China we should not have a "lighter, faster cheaper" military, but one capable of winning a strategic war again.

Bill Gates, from what I've read has the experience and is an old timer.

One interesting fact to note, all of the intelligence communities are run by active military generals and the DOD is now run by a former CIA director...

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord
So many one liners in this Post, I have been warned already about not adding more meanings to my posts, but I did it a few times in a row so maybe thats different. Just warning you people please write more, but I bet no one gives a writes you a complaint .

Can not believe gummy rummy has quit, its like they have left Bush to do it all.
What happens now? Does it mean Iraq will go back to dictatorship?

Very true. I should watch those one liners. It ws a complete thought though.

The thing is though.. Lets take a look at Iraq, at least the women, under a "dictatorship" and after the "liberation".

Back in the 60's, under the dictatorship..

I would have to point out, that under that "Dictator", they seemed a lot more freed, than under our freedom.. WOuldn't you concur?

ANd now, after the "Liberation"

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Waiting2awake
The thing is though.. Lets take a look at Iraq, at least the women, under a "dictatorship" and after the "liberation".

Back in the 60's, under the dictatorship..

I would have to point out, that under that "Dictator", they seemed a lot more freed, than under our freedom.. WOuldn't you concur?

No, I would not agree. Saddam was not the president in the '60's.

* Muhammad Najib ar-Ruba'ilink title July 14, 1958 February 8, 1963 Military
01 Abd as-Salam Arif February 8, 1963 April 13, 1966 Military
02 Abd ar-Rahman al-Bazzaz April 13, 1966 April 16, 1966 Military
03 Abd ar-Rahman Arif April 16, 1966 July 17, 1968 Military
04 Ahmed Hassan al-Bakr July 17, 1968 July 16, 1979 Baath Party
05 Saddam Hussein July 16, 1979 April 9, 2003 Baath Party
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

en.wikipedia.org...

Try showing some of the victims of gassing and torture under Saddam. They would be more relevant. Your post is misinformation as it stands.

[edit on 8-11-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   
JsoBecky;

Those pictures can from here
thewomaniwasblog.blogspot.com...

As you can see, it appears that it is a blog from a womens group in Iraq. Disinformation? Hardly.

Against your political views? Definately.

For what is it worth, I too disagree with the time differences. I looked for some pictures of women en masse under Saddam for a while and the ones I saw did have the scarf on(What is that called?) that just goes over the top of their head. Still nothing like the batman getups you see there.

Not to say if it wasn't for the fundimentalist wako's over there they would still wear the garb. I am sure they are only doing it because of fear(Funny how that makes people react strangely isn't) but the fact remains the wacko's are there because the US is there, and the US is there because of lies. Regardless of what/why the US is there, as long as it stays there, this will continue to be the reality of these women. Without the US there, it will get worse for a bit(sadly) but it is their country.

Maybe it is time to give it back to them?

**PS - please leave the oil.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Well it's about time.

Like Westpoint I've got concerns that Rumsfeld is killing our military's ability to effectively win a strategic war against a large opponent. Although at the moment our main battles are with insurgents, that's no reason to leave ourselves unprepared for possible war with China or another nation with a modern military. Plus Rumsfeld let a lot of projects get cut that I really don't think should have been. Oh how I miss the Commanche.

Either way this definatly makes my day.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   
CD78, I'll admit I was disappointed when the RAH-66 project was cancelled however in light of the MQ-9 Reaper I think we made the right choice. Though it would be nice if we could have had both systems.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Even if you consider the political elements of Rumsfeld resigning it will have little effect on current events in Iraq.The damage has long been done.
Cheers xpert11.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by D4rk Kn1ght
beat me to that point about war crimes!

Donny the 'Dark one' has gone, and now Bush is going to have to struggle for 2 more years hobbled by no power in either layer of power making...

Gonna be a damn interesting 2 years for old Bushy boy and his ever shrinking posse.

Except that so far the bills that have made him the most powerful (in a large gain) has been bi partisan. Everything else is write-ins. Dems can pass anything they want.. bush does his stupid write in and the bill can change entirly.

I am glad that jack!@$ is leaving. Take Cheney as well please!

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 11:56 PM
link   
So, any word on where Rumsfeld will be headed after this? If I had to guess, I will predict he quietly ends up in the corporate sector somewhere, like Bush Senior's position at the Carlyle group.

Also, what do we know about Robert Gates? Certainly, Rumsfeld was a disaster, but will this new guy be any better? I don't mean to malign Gates; I've never heard of him before, but given the position of importance he will likely be assuming (he needs to have his nomination confirmed, as I understand it) it would be a good thing to get some info on this guy.

en.wikipedia.org...

Not sure how reliable that entry is (it was frozen for vandalism when I viewed it) but it mentioned that he was possibly involved in the Iran-Contra affair. If true, I don't like this guy already...

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   
well, heres a little bit of interesting info on mr robert gates for you....

blackboxvoting has dug up the fact he used to be a director of a company called 'votehere'. who are they you might ask? well, its a fascinating read.....

votehere story

new topics

top topics

join