It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sun Has Two North Poles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 09:57 AM
link   

A Star With Two North Poles

Sometimes the Sun's magnetic field goes haywire, and
the effects are felt throughout the solar system.

by Dr Tony Phillips
www.firstscience.com...

Three years ago, something weird happened to the Sun.

Normally, our star, like Earth itself, has a north and a south magnetic pole. But for nearly a month beginning in March 2000, the Sun's south magnetic pole faded, and a north pole emerged to take its place. The Sun had two north poles.

"It sounds impossible, but it's true," says space physicist Pete Riley of Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC) in San Diego.

What is going on with our sun?
I mean,I know that there has histroically been changes with the sun,sunspots and such, but
Here is a link to the story that will actually work:

Sun Madness

[edit on 8-11-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   

"In fact, it's a fairly normal side-effect of the solar cycle." Every 11 years around solar maximum, the Sun's magnetic field goes haywire as the Sun's underlying magnetic dynamo reorganizes itself. The March 2000 event was simply a part of that upheaval.

"The south pole never really vanished," notes Riley. It migrated north and, for a while, became a band of south magnetic flux smeared around the Sun's equator. By May 2000 the south pole had returned to its usual spot near the Sun's southern spin axis - but not for long. In 2001 the solar magnetic field completely flipped; the south and north poles swapped positions, which is how they remain now.

Sounds like the sun's magnetic fields switched... totally disruptive, but totally normal.

I'm curious if this will harken the earth's pole switch? Arguably, signs have been popping up that ellude to something happening with the core (I don't know if the sun has a core to speak of..?), so maybe the sun goes first, then us?

Very interesting find!

P.S. If you fix the link within the article.. firstscience.com.. for some reason, there are dots in the middle of the com.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Using your logic the Earth's magnetic poles would flip every eleven years. Really, as stated in the articles, this is really nothing out of the ordinary. In fact, I feel so bold as to make a prediction - In another 5-7 years the same thing will happen again!

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   

P.S. If you fix the link within the article.. firstscience.com.. for some reason, there are dots in the middle of the com.

Thank you,Diseria.

I think it would be interesting to find out why the sun does this. There is a lot of weird stuff about the sun.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Is there any record of strange events or behavioral changes around these switches, I wonder?

The human race is uniquely sensitive to magetic fields.

Even though the sun is a long distance away, it's mass being enough to effect the earths solar rotation must mean it's switch would have a bearing on us, at least in some minor fashion.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Well,Smokinggun,one would think. Supposedly sunspots effect the rise and fall of civilizations, so I would think any type of pole reversal on the sun would definitely cause some hopping and popping down here.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
I think it would be interesting to find out why the sun does this. There is a lot of weird stuff about the sun.

The Sun is nothing but a ball of superheated gas. It acts as a fluid. It bubbles and churns, and occasionally gets stirred about. Every 10-12 years, this churning and bubbling results in a stellar concoction that is a pole reversal. It's all due to the magnetic fields generated by the Sun. That's pretty much it.

Originally posted by xSMOKING_GUNx
Is there any record of strange events or behavioral changes around these switches, I wonder?

Probably not, as the average lay person (obviously) isn't aware that this is a regular happening. As it has been, and will be. And even if people claimed there to be, it would be about as factual as saying that weirder things happen on a full Moon - ie not factual.

The human race is uniquely sensitive to magetic fields.

Really?

Even though the sun is a long distance away, it's mass being enough to effect the earths solar rotation must mean it's switch would have a bearing on us, at least in some minor fashion.

Well, of course it does. These switches do affect the Van Allen belts. Nothing more than that though, really...

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Well,Smokinggun,one would think. Supposedly sunspots effect the rise and fall of civilizations, so I would think any type of pole reversal on the sun would definitely cause some hopping and popping down here.

Supposedly, sure. Factually? Probably not...

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The year 2000 marked a newsworthy maximum in the 11-year cycle of sunspots as they appear, grow, often merging, then finally die away.

A bit of fun cmdrkeenkid so dont worry about debunking this one, this is my brief research for you on March 2000 to see if the switches influenced human behavior in any possible way.

March 1 - Hans Blix assumes the position of Executive Chairman of UNMOVIC.
United Nations Monitoring, Verification and Inspection Commission and continued with the mandate to disarm Iraq of its weapons of mass destruction

March 1 - the Constitution of Finland is rewritten. a new, integrated Constitution to come into force on March 1, 2000. The Commission was instructed to draft its proposal for a new Constitution to replace the four existing constitutional laws in the form of a Government bill.

March 10 - The NASDAQ Composite Index reaches an all-time high of 5048.

March 18 - 2000 Taiwanese presidential election: Chen Shui-bian is elected President of the Republic of China

March 26 - Presidential elections in Russia: Vladimir Putin elected President.
source

Dont think any of the above would have been influenced from the switches, although voting patterns could have been subliminally affected lol. (and possibly spending on the NASDAQ).

Anyway, a couple of interesting pictures of the sun during march 2000.

source

source

The only other interesting thing was Madagascar 10 March 2000, Torrential rains and high force winds reaching up to 200 km per hour brought by Cyclone Gloria, have caused loss of life, severe damage to infrastructure and left over 10 000 people homeless.

Regards xS_Gx

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 06:45 PM
link   
For those who doubt the sun's effect on the earth..

Sun

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
This theory might make your brain twist a little.

Link

A little long, but loads of detail and makes you consider things that are not so obvious, worth the read for sure.

Regards xS_Gx

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   
It's those alien UFO's that are emitting from the sun, there doing who knows what kind of experiments over there.

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Not really. It happens about once every 11 years. You can force patterns out of the data, but they're forced patterns and not natural events.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Interestingly, yes!

Many believe the sun's 11 year cycles influence the economy and the stock market. Here's a good document that discusses these cycles, and charts the peaks of sunspot activity alongside the state of the economy. If you look at the charts near the end of this document, it certain seems like there's some sort of correllation.
www.michaelmandeville.com...&%20Human%20History.pdf

As to the event we're talking about, early March 2000 did mark the bursting of the dotcom bubble, and the end of the longest bull market in stock market history. Coincidence? Maybe not!

The document also goes into historical events and sunspots.. very interesting reading!

edit : sorry about the long link... anyone know how I can cut it across two lines? mods? help?

[edit on 8-11-2006 by nowthenlookhere]

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 05:18 AM
link   
It's called Polar Flux. what happpens is that the magnetic feild reverses it's direction of flow. I saw a NOVA special about it on TV a few month back.

B.T.W: you know scientists think the same thing may happen here on planet earth one day.

Tim

top topics

join