It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homosexuality.....why do people even care?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Doogie Howser is gay. Who cares? Neil Patrick Harris, the actor who played Doogie Howser has bravely "come out of the closet" to put an end to rumor and speculation about his sexuality.

Rumor? Speculation?

Why, in God's name, would anyone even speculate about what anyone's sexuality might be? Who cares?

Your mailman might be gay? Do you care? Unless homosexuality somehow interferes with the delivery of mail, why would you spend a moment thinking about it?

The cop on the beat might be gay? Do you think that a gay cop wouldn't be capable of writing a parking ticket?

Oh oh, what if the used car salesman you are haggling with is gay? Would that make the car you purchase from him.....gay?

I find it amazing, personally, that people spend any time thinking about this sort of thing. Nevertheless, it would seem that people do. But why? Why does it seem so important for people to know what others might be doing in the privacy of their bedrooms? In the same vein, why aren't people concerned about whether someone is hungry? Why isn't the energy devoted to rumor and speculation about someone's -- anyone's -- "gayness" or "bisexuality" or , for that matter "heterosexuality" spent in pursuits that would possibly be of some real benefit?

I know, I know....."God said homosexuality is wrong". Does that mean that HE appointed you as some sort of morality cop? Does God need your help in determining whether someone is gay or not?

On a social level, I applaud those individuals who have "come out of the closet" to announce their sexuality. It probably takes real courage to do so. After all, the gay community is still being persecuted by small minded people who believe that they are the judges of morality. But, really, why do people even care?

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Don't preach to us, preach to the papparazi. The papparazi is the devil. If you become a celebrity you make a deal with the devil and your whole life is open to speculation.

Nobody cares if the cop down the street is gay because he's a nobody.

Peace

[edit on 8-11-2006 by Dr Love]

[edit on 8-11-2006 by Dr Love]

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:07 AM
link   
"squeaky doors are just asking to get oiled" as the saying goes

A straight man has nothing to fear so does not care one way or the other

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Because it is human nature to define what you are through what you do not wish to be. People tend to need an outside source to tell them what/who they are internally. Quite sad in my opinion, but we are herd animals so it makes sense. It's always been the yin and yang, the us and them, good and evil or more blatently the illusion of duality. The 'other' is always evil, immoral and should be punished because they are not like 'us' 'good' people. It all depends on how the individual divides the world around them in order to comprehend it.

That is why some people are so threatened by someone they see as opposed to their own beliefs being allowed the same rights as them. It 'corrupts' their own worth in their eyes. So why do some straight people not have a problem with gay people having the same rights as them? It's because they do not divide the world in such a way where homosexuality is such an offensive difference. It's like saying I don't care for olives on my pizza, but it doesn't threaten my sense of morality/reality/values if someone else does.

And there's my odd analogy for the day.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Opps...sorry! I just realized that in my head I was actually responding to the gay marrage debate from another thread.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:20 AM
link   
It's human nature. Why does anyone care that Britney is getting a divorce? Who cares about anything Paris Hilton does? People love gossip and other people's lives. Sexuality comes under that umbrella.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I hate how they make a big deal about celebs being gay. Gay, straight, who gives a damn? If you're a celeb, and you don't follow the cultural norms, you get put in the tabloids. Until being gay becomes more of a cultural norm, we'll continue to hear about how "so and so has come out of the closet!". If it sells, they'll print it.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Most celebrities are just pretending to be gay because it's supposed to be cool or something.

Put it this way; I don't mind if the kids like mud, I just don't like the fact that they throw it everywhere.

[edit on 8-11-2006 by Unrealised]

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Because it is against the norms put up by the media, and society. In my criminal justice class, I was spearheading The gay side in a debate.

Support Gay marraige

top topics

join