It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Justice Stevens' Health Makes Senate Election Critical

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens who is now 86 years old, is rumored to be in poor health. Friends of Justice Stevens' family have stated that he is currently very ill. This news puts even more at stake for both parties since the Senators elected this November will most certainly be voting on a replacement Justice.

www.humanevents.com
For the past several weeks, there has been a rumor circulating among high-level officials in Washington, D.C., that a member of the U.S. Supreme Court has received grave medical news and will announce his or her retirement by year’s end. While such rumors are not unusual in the nation’s capital, this one comes from credible sources.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

As I write this, the Republicans still hang on to power by a thread in the Senate. Both parties are tied at 49 votes with only two seats undecided. If the Democrats can pick up the two remaining seats, Pres. Bush's nominations could very well be stonewalled. If not, look for a new dawn of filibusters from the Democratic side of the Senate.

Justice Stevens is well known for his living, breathing constitutional viewpoints and is a key vote for liberals in issues such as abortion and gay marriage. If Republicans can put through another conservative judge, then they'll lock up the Supreme court for years to come with a majority.

[edit on 8-11-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I think Stevens will most likely resign in the next two years, and Bush will probably get whomever he wants to take his place, Virginia notwithstanding. That's just my feeling, but I just don't see the Dems being able to thwart a Supreme Court nominee unless there was a real ethical reason to do so.

edit:

It's always been rumored that he said he's a Republican, was nominated by a Republican and will be replaced by a Republican. Too bad he doesn't vote on the SCOTUS like a Republican

[edit on 11/8/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I don't think anybody Bush nominates will get th rubber stamp that Roberts and Alito did now that the Dems control congress.

Justices should NEVER vote like a Republican or a Democrat, liberal or conservative but should be as the British phrased it, be "disinterested", to not have a bias one way or the other.

new topics

join