It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greatest Military Leaders

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I'd like to hear some thoughts on who you think are some of the greatest military leaders of all time, or comments on those listed below.

Alexander the Great
Bellisarius
Julius Caesar
El Cid
T.E. Lawrence
Douglas MacArthur
Mehmet II
Helmut von Moltke
Napoleon
George S. Patton
Saladin

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Genghis Khan or Temüjin and his chief lieutenant Subutai surely should be included in your list. They only helped form the largest single unifed Empire the world has ever seen.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Ah, yes!! I forgot about them. I'd also include Helagu-Khan.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Is Grant not in the list for any reason. Considering the huge ethical issues of battling you own countrymen, I consider him to be a great military leader. Heck ever Lee for he did much with a very poor army. Deprived of most essential materials he waged a fantastic war for the behalf of his people and beliefs.

Also, Ho Che Min should be in the list for the amazing victories that he was able to produce with minimal support.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
How could anyone miss Vytautas the Great?

At the Battle of Grunwald (also known as Tannenberg), Vytautas the Great led the united armies of Lithuania and Poland against the Teutonic Knights in the historically important and decisive battle at Grunwald.

This particular battle or, for that matter, Vytautas the Great might not be recognized by most but the victory forever shaped the future for Europe -- clearly establishing the sphere of influence of Western Europe and the East.

The battle itself is one that historians and military strategists have studied for years noting the use of diversions and the use of cavalry in flank attacks and a historic direct assault against the Teutonic knights.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   
You Forgot to mention Master Yoda !!!!

I am just kidding people here is a link to some great leaders

Great Leaders of History

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
this would limit a lot to speak only about these few leaders.

why not speaking about Zheng He around 1400 whon tour the world with largest wooden ship ever?

or Mao who ruled more people for the more years...than any other man.

what about GWB who created a war artificially to get the kicks backs...sorry for the boys out there...sleep tight

folks i think we don t need fiction anymore, reality is much more interesting, thanks to ATS...your

to answer your post i would definitely go Asian on this saying this is much more interesting to seize your oponent assets without fighting.

might be interesting for those brilliant west point wannabees to read art of war by Sun Tzu and lord of the rims by sterling seagram.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Got to be Alexander for his military genius and his visionary ideas for society.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Hannibal, the great Carthaginian general caused the Romans much grief at Saguntum, Lake Trasimene and Cannae. He was very cunning but unfortunately a lack of manpower was his downfall.

In Peace Always
resi

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Truly the only great generals are those that commanded honest defenses against unarguable offensives. Most of those listed so far were good, not great.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Don't forget Winfield Scott! His strategy of limited objectives and sensitivity to the Mexican civilian population during the Mexican-American War worked wonders and made the war much, much less bloody that it probably may have been. His creation of autonomous divisions (instead of the unitary armies of the day) to use maneuver in order to flank his opponents and win before a fight began (and as bloodlessly as possible) by avoiding at almost all times headlong battles was very successful.

I also like him, because other than military history buffs, the average person probably has not heard of him (as opposed to say famous names like Caesar, Patton, etc.)

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by resistancia
Hannibal, the great Carthaginian general caused the Romans much grief at Saguntum, Lake Trasimene and Cannae. He was very cunning but unfortunately a lack of manpower was his downfall.

In Peace Always
resi

Aigh, like leading elephants through mountain passes.
He was a fool in politics as well, he could win a battle but couldn't do much with the win. Carthages outcome would be Rome destroyed it to the point the entire empire was torn apart and burned to the ground. I don't like Hannibal.

Grant and Lee should be in the list, as should eisinhower

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
But on our part of the North American mainland, it has to be,

1. George Washington, who overcame the largest and best Army of the time in the world;
2. Ulysses S. Grant, who ended slavery and preserved the Union; and
3. Dwight David Eisenhower, who led the Allies in the watershed event of the 20th century, the greatest human endeavor of all time, World War Two.

[edit on 11/13/2006 by donwhite]

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Missed out:

Robert E Lee
Guderien
Manstein

Ludendorff
Hindenburg

Tad German centric, but they were damn good!

ooh, not forgetting Zhukov and Koniev, they were something special too!

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
Genghis Khan or Temüjin and his chief lieutenant Subutai surely should be included in your list. They only helped form the largest single unifed Empire the world has ever seen.

I am assuming you mean the largest, contigious Empire (ie: all in one big, blob)?

I ask this as the Mongolian Empire was not the worlds largest, as that award goes to the British Empire.

I see no one has mentioned Lord Wellington? Or perhaps Lord Nelson? Both great British commanders from history.

Another good one is Monty. Wooped Rommel's arse in N. Africa. Rommel would also get a vote from me.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Add to the list:

Cyrus the Great (before whose tomb Alexander the Great paid homage)
Shapur the First (who humbled three Roman Emperors)
Xerxes (Simply due to the amazing organisation of his campaign, even if geography, weather and overconfidence or arrogance doomed it to failiure)

Alexander was very lucky in that he inherited the most militarily advanced and experienced army in the world from his father. Also, his opponents (Greek or otherwise) were nowhere near as gifted as he was.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 03:06 AM
link   
although he may not have been in command of an army, Id say sun tzu, who wrote the "art of war", could also be eligible.

whoever was in charge of the IDF during the 1967 war.

[edit on 28-11-2006 by XphilesPhan]

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 06:26 AM
link   

posted by XphilesPhan

whoever was in charge of the IDF during the 1967 war. [Edited by Don W]

Moshe Dyan, the guy with the eye patch under PM Levi Eshkol who followed Golda Mier.

[edit on 11/28/2006 by donwhite]

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
I am assuming you mean the largest, contigious Empire (ie: all in one big, blob)?

I ask this as the Mongolian Empire was not the worlds largest, as that award goes to the British Empire.

Correct on both counts. I did mean the largest single contiguous land mass under control of one nation/people.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I have a small suggestion that I think would make this particular thread a bit more interesting.....

Up to this point, for the most part, this thread has become nothing more than a list of "favorite" military leaders. Frankly, I suppose that I could simply "google"-up a similar listing.

Instead of simply listing your favorite military leader, how about offering links and comments about your favorite general, military leader or tyrannical despot. Why don't you say something about WHY you like the king/soldier/leader that you have chosen. Adding something --- a link....anything....about a particular batter or campaign would go along way towards making this thread something more than just a list.

If not, why don't we just have a thread listing our favorite colors or something?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join