It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats Sweep GOP out of House of Representatives

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   

US elections: Which side was God on?
Crucial Catholics

But most significantly for the Democrats, they won back the white Roman Catholic vote, which is seen as a key swing constituency.

Two years ago President Bush took 52% of the Catholic vote to John Kerry's 47%.

This year's exit polls show a reversal. The Democrats beat Republicans 57%-42%.

Most remarkable, I think, a lot of Jewish votes moved side too.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
To get back on topic, I'd like to make everyone understand that this was just a mid-term election. As such, the Democrat's victory is at best short-lived.

Depending on what happens over the next 2 years, it may be short lived, or it could be the sign of a major shift. Only time will tell.

Bush doesn't really care about what happens now, because he knows that he can't be re-elected. He knows his time as President is at an end, and is trying to go out gracefully, much to his own chagrin, I'm certain.

No, he and his party are very concerned right now about what will happen over the next two years because it reflects on the whole party. Do not expect him to just lay back. They will also probably try to push a lot through before the new congress takes over.

I think it's a good time now to remind everyone that just because this has happened doesn't mean that the People get to relax on the political front.

Exactly, and I think many people have woke up and will be watching.

The main reason I say all of this is because I'm left to wonder that after all of this, if they do the same thing again, and don't listen to the People's wishes, what do we as The People do? How can we make a situation that is so out of hand any better?

By doing exactly what happened. We restored a balance of power and oversight, which is why things got out of control. I think it is always better when there are opposing parties in the presidency and the house.

This election was extremely important for the people to show the politicians that they need to get back in line. They need to get back to work and fix some of the problems we have without causing gridlock.

I was happy with the outcome of the election and even more to see people get out and vote and do their part.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon
Natural Born Killers

Folks, this is a wonderful debate.
Now, we only need Cheney to take Bush hunting.

Yeah, and maybe he'll take a rifle instead of a shotgun with him.

I got things to do right now. I can't wait to get back into this "fact-filled" discusssion.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Origanally posted by Hal9000
This election was extremely important for the people to show the politicians that they need to get back in line. They need to get back to work and fix some of the problems we have without causing gridlock.

I was happy with the outcome of the election and even more to see people get out and vote and do their part.

So were I and I do dare say ALL of Europe. I suspect even Tony Blair to secretly have seighed in relief, as he regardless of what have to climb down on his stance on Iraq.

Only I fear the gangsters in the White House to do someting insane.

My respect to the American people for this outcome.

[EDIT to add question]
What do you think the chances of withdrawal is in the last two years of Bush?

[edit on 13-11-2006 by khunmoon]

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon
What do you think the chances of withdrawal is in the last two years of Bush?

Well that is the question we asked in the following thread, which I replied with my thoughts. I think some troops will get to come home, but I think they will build permanent bases there, so others will stay.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
And so you think more immigrants come here to rape & kill white women than to get jobs? Hate to tell ya... but that's a bit loopy. The vast majority of these people are coming here for jobs. Period.

No, I never said that, did I? But you had an apparent Freudian slip when you tried to sidetrack the issue once again. Another nice try, tho. Strike two. Pretty loopy, if you asked me.

While you're at it, why not prove that the majority of illegals are here just to get jobs.

Besides, marg is right - this election was not about immigration.

No, and the next one probably won't be either, because they'll all have been granted amnesty by then. And their kids will be in college, tuition free, and we'll be paying the bill.

Originally posted by xmotex
The US has a population of 300 million.
Mexico has a population of 107 million.

Even if every single Mexican moved here, there aren't enough of them to "take over".

There doesn't have to be a majority to control the country, though.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seraphim_Serpente
Also don't forget about Corruption. Terrorism is an Outcome or Effect of Corruption if you ask me personally. Simply put - Money & Power are incredibly Corrupting forces. The use of Distorted Religion to Control & Manipulate people is also a form of Corruption. As we have seen it is being used increasingly frequently these days by all manners of Despots (yes even some here in the U.S.).

Speaking of Corruption, why don't we discuss
William Jefferson
or
Harry Reid
or
Alcee Hastings
or
John Murtha
or
Sandy Berger

....I think you get the picture.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Speaking of Corruption, why don't we discuss

Why don't we discuss the ENTIRE Corporate - uh - I mean Republican Party!

You don't really want me to show a list of all the Republicans that are either under Investigation or have been found guilty of Corruption do you?
I Guarantee that my list will be *LONGER* than yours! P.S. Nice examples from 1980 & 1989 - my list would be more up to date as well!

You don't really think that we are in Iraq because we love them & think that they can handle "Jeffersonian Democracy" - do you? What a bunch of BS!
Maybe all of that Lying in regards to the War is WHY they just got their rear ends handed to them in the Election!

[edit on 13-11-2006 by Seraphim_Serpente]

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra

Originally posted by kozmo
I mean, Nancy Pelosi??? Hello??? Since when did anyone desire Carl Marx to become Speaker of the House?

Probably shortly after they decided that they were tired of Adolf Hitler occupying the position.

You're equating Dennis Hastert with Adolph Hitler? That's hyperbolic even coming from you, thelibra!

And this sort of bigotry is exactly why the Republicans are now out of power, thank you very much. It does my heart good to see that, as a nation, we've become a bit more enlightened than the hate-filled, paranoid rants of a white supremist party.

I asked this question before, and you ignored it: Are you calling Republicans White supremists, thelibra?

Bush proudly displayed his ignorance and caused my first concerns when he, against the advice of all the doctors and scientists, citing what has come to be known as religious "truthiness" rather than fact, as his reason for cutting all funding to stem cell research.

Incorrect misleading disinformation, thelibra. Bush is against federal funding for embryonic stem cell research.

Either get the facts straight or don't cite your twisted version of them.

Then he lied to us. Then he kept lying. He has continued lying, every single press conference, even up till a week ago when he said Rumsfeld would last through the remainder of his term. He slaughtered a people who had never attacked us because of those lies, and lost thousands more of our own citizens to the lies.

Typical response from a Bush-hater. "He lied to us time and time again."

That's total BS and you know it. But it sells quite well, doesn't it?

And then you cite a silly example of Rumsfeld. He made a good policy decision, one that was long overdue. But with you, it's another example of a "lie".

Then he wanted to put up a wall to keep all the Mexicans out... a WALL... Like we were motherf---ing Cold War Berlin or something!!! I'm STILL pissed about that one.

Don't worry; it will never get funded now. Too bad, too, because in spite of your attempts at painting illegal immigration as "not a problem", and only "plucking chickens and washing dishes", it is costing states Billions of dollars every year. Money they could use to help their own legal citizens.

Then he started turning the wheels to bring "1984" to reality with every form of domestic surveillance possible. And to this day we STILL don't know everything that's being monitored.

There's a thread going on right now about al Qaeda's vow to blow up the White House. If apologists like you win, they will be successful, because you will have handcuffed our ability to keep tabs on them or question them. Happy?

But the one that really got me. The one that completely destroyed any shred of sympathy or hope I had for his whole g-ddamned administration, was the opening of secret torture camps, first lying about whether they existed, then trying to suppress the truth about them, and when it was finally too late to hide them, he tried to make them into law, and threatened to use his first Veto in six years of running the country, to stop a law that would have officially made torture illegal.

More alarmist sensationalism.

Originally posted by FilmRoll
It's somewhat infureating and funny to see how you people try to picture me as a racist bigot when I walk about the illigal immigration issue.

No, we see you as a racist bigot because keeping out the Mexicans is so important to you that you would allow all the other monstrous atrocities I mentioned above to continue.

You seem to be learning from grover. When your arguments fall apart, you resort to ad hominem attacks.

Republicans single-handedly railroaded legislation that LEGALLY allows for the black-bagging of someone, ANYONE (even children), dragging them off to a secret facility, without charges or evidence, without commincation to anyone, without legal representation, and held indefinitely, while tortured, beyond years even for the legal statute of limitations for person to be presumed dead.

When you post something like the above, please cite a source. Else it will be looked at as only your opinion. I'd be most interested in real cases of children being tortured for years.

For one thing, I never made a false statement. The Republicans DID railroad a shameful breach against liberty and human rights, within the CURRENT administration.

As I said, I'm waiting for you to back this up.

Further, your attempt to justify this atrocity, by bringing up another atrocity from over 50 years ago is the sort of asinine retort I would expect from a child.

Like I said, you use the ad hominems when you begin to lose...

My examples were counterpoints to your attempts to paint the Republicans as "white supremists" with a history of racism.

And for chrissakes, if you're going to use an example that old, use one that is relevant.

Want something more timely?

RNC Chief to Say It Was 'Wrong' to Exploit Racial Conflict for Votes

www.washingtonpost.com...

What have the Democrats done recently except to exploit minorities for votes?

Originally posted by jsobecky
Here's a trivia question for you: Who holds the record for the longest filibuster in US Senate history? He was speaking against desegregation, btw. Hint: he wasn't a Republican.

Sure. Just tell that to the 3 year old daughter of Adrienne Shelly .

Jeez, it never ends with you, does it? I tell you what, you provide me with a validated statistic that proves that the majority of murders in America are committed by illegal immigrants, and then I'll consider ALMOST as big a threat as the LEGALIZED abduction and torture of children.

No, the job of dispelling disinfo is neverending, unfortunately. As long as you keep saying that illegal immigration is not a problem, and that they're here just to "pluck chickens and wash dishes", I'll continue to prove you wrong.

My post regarding Adrienne Shelly was particularly relevant. She was murdered by an illegal because she threatened to drop dime on him.

And I never said the majority were here to commit murder. You seem to have made the same Freudian slip that xmotex did. Except that he went so far as to include rape in his baseless allegation. He has been the only one to mention rape.

Look, JSobecky, you've done nothing to justify the heinous actions of your party, and your further attempt to accuse ME of disinformation while actively engaging in it yourself is an excercise in transparent hypocrisy.

I'm not trying to justify the actions of the Republican Party. All I'm doing is shutting down all these one-sided posts that attempt to paint Republicans as the only guilty party in politics. And I'm correcting errors along the way.

This attitude is exactly why your party lost both the House and the Senate, and is why the President has such an incredibly low approval rating for so long.

The Republicans are not my party; I'm an Independent. But I favor them more than I do the Democrats, who are represented by far left-wing radicals.

What astounds me, what just simply blows my mind, is that people like you can still hold such an ignorant, obstinate, and disgusting approval of what the Republicans did, regardless of party affiliation, just because of the label "Republican".

No no no. Let's get it straight, thelibra. You're just frustrated because I'm not one of your little sheep that cheers at your alarmist sensationalism. It sells well to the masses, but not to independent thinkers.

Turns out a friend of mine's sister used to work for him, back when he was just an incompetent businessman.
< snip>

Uh-huh.....

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
I am consistantly amazed by the conservative antipathy for the Democrats and liberals. I do my best to write it off as coming from under-educated people who buy into the smears of hard-right blah blah blah radio and the rants published by Regency press, but it really does seem to go beyond that.

You do realize that when you start off a post with an ad hominem attack, it makes the rest of your post not worth reading, don't you?

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
double post

[edit on 13-11-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbluesky
Name names, or keep your stories to yourself.

Very well. I'll ask if they're comfortable with my giving their names, and to the best of their recollection, the date. If not, then I won't. To be honest though, if I'm not comfortable giving my own real name here, I don't know that they would be.

Thelibra, Did you get clearance from your friend's sister's father to tell us their surname? I mean, after all....you did say the father didnt care if W's father wasPOTUS, so why would he worry about you telling us the name of the man who slapped down a stupid, coked-up misogynist?

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seraphim_Serpente
Why don't we discuss the ENTIRE Corporate - uh - I mean Republican Party!

Hey, you're the one who implied that corruption - I mean Corruption - was an issue in the election. As if the Republicans were the only ones to suffer from it.

I Guarantee that my list will be *LONGER* than yours! P.S. Nice examples from 1980 & 1989 - my list would be more up to date as well!

Knock yourself out. You missed the entire point of my post anyway. And Hastings, Reid, and Murtha are poised to assume positions of great power in our gov't. These men have been proven to be corruptible.

You don't really think that we are in Iraq because we love them & think that they can handle "Jeffersonian Democracy" - do you? What a bunch of BS!

Where did that non sequitir come from?

[edit on 13-11-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 09:50 PM
link   
A POINT OF VIEW

Looking deeper at the results, the polls showed the number one issue, slightly ahead of Iraq and the general referendum on the President was corruption.
But I think there is something larger in that voter sentiment about corruption.

If you win by moral values, you can also die by moral values. By courting conservative Christians with a family values agenda, Republicans set themselves up as the party of superior morality. And when their glass house started to crumble, the very voters they had worked so hard to become active participants in the democracy turned on them.

Perhaps, I can explain this better by sketching two anecdotes. One takes us to the mega-church in Colorado Springs, run by the Reverend Ted Haggard. The New Life Church is a veritable mall set up against the Rocky Mountains in the suburban sprawl well south of Denver.
W.C. Fields once said, "I never vote for anyone. I always vote against."

In its simplest terms, that's what this election was all about - it was a vote against.

Anybody old enough to have seen what politics is about, can never cast a vote for anyone. Nobody works for others, but what's in their own interests. That's the nature of man, sad to say. But you can always vote against.

Question is, those you choose against the ones they dismiss, will they be any better.

Can big corporations buy the Democrats?

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 07:20 AM
link   

I am consistantly amazed by the conservative antipathy for the Democrats and liberals. I do my best to write it off as coming from under-educated people who buy into the smears of hard-right blah blah blah radio and the rants published by Regency press, but it really does seem to go beyond that.

You do realize that when you start off a post with an ad hominem attack, it makes the rest of your post not worth reading, don't you?

Sounds like a excuse not to read it! And some of your attacks aren't ad hominem?????

I was referriing to some of the more extreme posts in reaction to the Democratic victory, not a smear like below:

"While it is not true that all conservatives are stupid. It is true that most stupid people are conservative."
John Stuart Mills

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbluesky
Thelibra, Did you get clearance from your friend's sister's father to tell us their surname? I mean, after all....you did say the father didnt care if W's father wasPOTUS, so why would he worry about you telling us the name of the man who slapped down a stupid, coked-up misogynist?

Truth be told, no, I hadn't asked. I decided to drop the issue when I decided to stop the partisan bickering. I realize this pretty much completely invalidates the story, and to be honest, I stopped caring. Posts like JSobecky's and Grover's (no offense to either) made me realize that I can either sit and argue back and forth about Republicans vs. Democrats, or I can start trying to come up with solutions.

I think the world is changing once again, or at least has the potential to. People are starting to fight less, and listen more.

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   

I think the world is changing once again, or at least has the potential to. People are starting to fight less, and listen more.

You got my vote this month, amen brothr, amen.

When we are going to realized that is not The US and bush administration of the world but that we share the world with many others that their views no necessarily has to agree with us.

Wise words thelibra, no wonder I have stayed away from this thread, is becoming pitiful.

Most of us in this boards are Americans and we all share the same country, then why are we fighting and debating what we actually have not control over.

Politics.

I think I will go back to the paranormal forum.

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Knock yourself out.

OK - as you wish. Here is a Website with a good list: www.buzzflash.com...

Oh Yeah don't forget "Ralph Reed" also caught in the Abramoff Party. Also don't forget Pedophile Mark Foley & Gay Hypocrite Druggie Ted Haggard & fellow Druggie Rush Limbaugh!

Oh - I almost forgot Cheney & the *Billions of Dollars* in NO BID CONTRACTS that "Halliburton" got in Iraq.

[edit on 14-11-2006 by Seraphim_Serpente]

[edit on 14-11-2006 by Seraphim_Serpente]

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   
When you mention Mark Foley, remember to mention Gerry Studds in the same breath.

And naming people like Haggard who are not politicians doesn't count.

See, we could go tit-for-tat all night like this. The point is, there are perverts and crooks on both sides of the fence, and neither side should bring it up, nor should the public use it as a voting point.

[edit on 14-11-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Sounds like a excuse not to read it! And some of your attacks aren't ad hominem?????

I was referriing to some of the more extreme posts in reaction to the Democratic victory, not a smear like below:

"While it is not true that all conservatives are stupid. It is true that most stupid people are conservative."
John Stuart Mills

It certainly was a reason not to read it. And no, I don't resort to ad hominem attacks.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join