It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats Sweep GOP out of House of Representatives

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Wait until you see your typical american local neighborhood, town, or city located in the mid/east coast gets taken over at light speed by spanish speaking only mexicans to a point where it gets turned into another downtown los angeles or a mexican city

The US has a population of 300 million.
Mexico has a population of 107 million.

Even if every single Mexican moved here, there aren't enough of them to "take over".

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
Even if every single Mexican moved here, there aren't enough of them to "take over".

In what region do you live? It may not be an issue where you are, but come on down here (Phoenix) sometime, and see for yourself...it's pretty bad.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I live in Northern NJ, where there are plenty of Mexicans, you would be surprised.

The point stands - if EVERY SINGLE MEXICAN moved to the US, leaving Mexico entirely empty - there still wouldn't be enough of them to "take over".

I'm fairly strongly opposed to illegal immigration actually - not because I'm offended by hearing Spanish, but because it's bad for the lowest end of the labor market in the US. But the "invasion" and "taking over" BS is simply nonsense.

There SIMPLY ARE NOT ENOUGH MEXICANS to "take over".

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   

I'm fairly strongly opposed to illegal immigration actually - not because I'm offended by hearing Spanish, but because it's bad for the lowest end of the labor market in the US. But the "invasion" and "taking over" BS is simply nonsense.

I agree about the "taking over" part, and Spanish doesn't "offend" me either, however, just on principle alone, English is the language here, and when there are LARGE communities (larger than Jersey I guarantee) that have no desire to learn English, it creates a communication problem. Also, as I stated before, there are no records of these folks, they can commit whatever crime they wish, head back to Mexico and lie low for a bit, then come back....

There SIMPLY ARE NOT ENOUGH MEXICANS to "take over".

Granted. But they in general have ALOT more children than Americans, I dunno if it's for welfare purposes, opposition to birth control, whatever....and in time that may change....

[edit on 9-11-2006 by 27jd]

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Terrorists around the world are applauding this election.

I personnally want gridlock for 2 years! The less that government does, the better we are, especially when Democrats are in charge.

Democrats have 6 Senate seats in jeopardy in 2008. Mary Landrieu (D) LA will not win again. No Democrat can win a statewide race in Louisiana without New Orleans at full strength. Hillary Clinton will likely be nominated by the Democrats. This is all Republicans need to regain full power again.

So just shut the government down for 2 years, then maybe by that time Republicans can grow a spine and really lead this country.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Bigotry? White supremist party? Are you referring to Republicans as "white supremists"? And you talk of bigotry?

The majority of Americans are against amnesty. The majority of Americans oppose making it easier for illegal immigrants to become citizens. Nine out of ten Americans say illegal immigration is a serious problem.

www.breitbart.com...

I suggest you stop with the name calling.

Indeed. Allow me to explain my brash and hasty words.

Republicans single-handedly railroaded legislation that LEGALLY allows for the black-bagging of someone, ANYONE (even children), dragging them off to a secret facility, without charges or evidence, without commincation to anyone, without legal representation, and held indefinitely, while tortured, beyond years even for the legal statute of limitations for person to be presumed dead.

That is, in my humblest opinion, a far greater threat to our nation, and everything it stands for, than some poor bastards looking for work, which is what our nation was founded on.

And, the condoning of, much less, the voting for such a facist move on the part of a nation founded on the fight against tyranny should bring shame to every Republican out there. And the counter-claim, that our nation will go to hell because of illegal immigrants and NOT because of the facist actions of a tyrant is an insult to me as an American citizen, and thus, I snapped in retort.

Therefore, I apologize.

I wrongly accused Republicans of "bigotry", when "tyranny" would have been far more appropriate.

[edit on 11/9/2006 by thelibra]

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   
One of the biggest educational experinces for me was a hitchhiking trip around the country in 1979.

I grew up in southwestern Virginia where there is a sizable black minority and went through high school during the height of desegragation and witnessed the difficulties and racism both sides experinced and deplored it. When I was in the military there was also a racist thread running through the services but nowhere near as bad as it was in civilian life in the south, or present but hidden in a lot of other parts of the country as well.

During my 1979 trip I spent about 3 months in and around the four corners region, mostly in southern Colorodo and northern New Mexico and it was a shock. For the first time in my life, me a pale skinned bottled in bond northern European Gael was in the minority. Between the Hispanic and Indian populations, white people were definately scarce. This was at the height of the Hispanic separatist movement and the American Indian Movement as well. In some of the small mountain villages I was looked at like I was an alien and suspect. I was checked out repeatedly by Hispanic cops, even after their white counterparts had just passed me by, and in a few places made to feel very unwelcome, and if not threatened, at least made to feel that violence was not out of the question.

In that short time (which I actually enjoyed a lot) I got a clear glimpse of what "the other" experinces in the whiter parts of the country, how the Hispanic might feel in, say, New England, or the black man on the other side of his side of the tracks in the south and other parts as well. It was not pretty.

I took that experince away with me, and more than anything it made me more tolerant, no one should feel that hostile stare or made to feel out of place. Racism and xenophobia are ugly and does no one any good.

My late wife was Chinese, Portaguese, English, Dutch and Black, a mutt and a very pretty mutt at that.

Once we were standing in line in this grocery store in Maine in the mid 80's, and this woman kept looking back and glowering at her. Finally she turned around and said: "I am sick and tired of you people coming over here and taking our jobs. Why don't you go back to where you belong?" Paulette, may she rest in peace, rose to her full height of 5 feet and looked the woman squarely in the eye and replied: "What? You want me to move back to Brooklyn?" That woman deflated like a punctured balloon and slunk away.

When you start railing against the other, legal or not, stop for a moment and try and put yourself in their shoes. Our common humanity is far more valuable and precious than any precieved difference. after all unless you are native American we are all decendents of immigrants, legal or not, who were despised when they first arrived here.

"Well there goes the neighborhood."
Chief Powhatan on seeing a white man for the first time.

[edit on 9-11-2006 by grover]

[edit on 9-11-2006 by grover]

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Terrorists around the world are applauding this election... I personnally want gridlock for 2 years!

Yet another Extreme statement - do you people really Hate Democrats that much? Hey listen we are all Americans - we all speak the same Language. What is wrong with Compromise?

Democrats have 6 Senate seats in jeopardy in 2008. Mary Landrieu (D) LA will not win again. No Democrat can win a statewide race in Louisiana without New Orleans at full strength. Hillary Clinton will likely be nominated by the Democrats. This is all Republicans need to regain full power again.

One problem with your Theory - what if Hillary Clinton or some other Democrat WINS the 2008 Presidential Election? If you say that it would be "Impossible" for a Democrat to Win the Presidency in 2008 then you are quite Delusional & will lose Credibility.

[edit on 9-11-2006 by Seraphim_Serpente]

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra
Republicans single-handedly railroaded legislation that LEGALLY allows for the black-bagging of someone, ANYONE (even children), dragging them off to a secret facility, without charges or evidence, without commincation to anyone, without legal representation, and held indefinitely, while tortured, beyond years even for the legal statute of limitations for person to be presumed dead.

Ever hear of the Southern Manifesto ? Maybe you should study history before making false statements.

Here's a trivia question for you: Who holds the record for the longest filibuster in US Senate history? He was speaking against desegregation, btw. Hint: he wasn't a Republican.

That is, in my humblest opinion, a far greater threat to our nation, and everything it stands for, than some poor bastards looking for work, which is what our nation was founded on.

Sure. Just tell that to the 3 year old daughter of Adrienne Shelly .

Therefore, I apologize.

I wrongly accused Republicans of "bigotry", when "tyranny" would have been far more appropriate.

You would be more on target if you apologized for spreading
disinformation .

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobeckyHere's a trivia question for you: Who holds the record for the longest filibuster in US Senate history? He was speaking against desegregation, btw. Hint: he wasn't a Republican.

Strom Thurmond holds that record, who died as a Republican. He was a Democrat for a few years when this filibuster took place and then realized his true colors and become a Republican until his death.

Now, who is spreading disinformation, becky?

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Yeah, because we don't have any native-born murderers

You could just as easily post some picture of some white girl murdered by a black guy to justify some racist drivel - it's a tactic I've seen used before. And no doubt will again.

And there were plenty of segregationist Democrats - most of them switched parties after the Civil Rights Act of 1964 too...

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
Strom Thurmond holds that record, who died as a Republican. He was a Democrat for a few years when this filibuster took place and then realized his true colors and become a Republican until his death.

It matters not what he was when he died. What matters is that he was a Democrat who was the originator of the Southern Manifesto and who holds the filibuster record.

Why would you bring up an irrelevant fact like that?

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   

You could just as easily post some picture of some white girl murdered by a black guy to justify some racist drivel - it's a tactic I've seen used before. And no doubt will again.

...or I could post some feel good pablum about illegal immigrants all being poor suffering bastards just here to earn an honest buck.

Nice try at the sidetrack, tho.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Like I said before . . .Democrats were not given victory in congress by American voters because of immigration issues and amnesty is not what American hard working wants including me.

Congress is now Democrat because it was issues like Iraq and the deficit plus the slap on the faces of the religious rights that the Republicans gave them.

Still I don't know how the Democrats plans to fix the mess in Iraq and I will like to find out soon.

Now they better do right because they will lose the presidential run in 2008 to a Republican and I will be the first one to be in line to vote for a Republican president.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Nice try at the sidetrack, tho.

And so you think more immigrants come here to rape & kill white women than to get jobs? Hate to tell ya... but that's a bit loopy. The vast majority of these people are coming here for jobs. Period.

Besides, marg is right - this election was not about immigration.

If anything, this election was a referendum on Iraq. The exit polling data so far reflects this pretty clearly.

And your guys lost...

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Also don't forget about Corruption. Terrorism is an Outcome or Effect of Corruption if you ask me personally. Simply put - Money & Power are incredibly Corrupting forces. The use of Distorted Religion to Control & Manipulate people is also a form of Corruption. As we have seen it is being used increasingly frequently these days by all manners of Despots (yes even some here in the U.S.).

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Ever hear of the Southern Manifesto ? Maybe you should study history before making false statements.

For one thing, I never made a false statement. The Republicans DID railroad a shameful breach against liberty and human rights, within the CURRENT administration.

Further, your attempt to justify this atrocity, by bringing up another atrocity from over 50 years ago is the sort of asinine retort I would expect from a child.

And for chrissakes, if you're going to use an example that old, use one that is relevant. At least you could have brought up the Japanese detention camps the U.S. set up. It still would have been a childlike attempt to deflect the blame for something heinous to something that happened before I was even born, but at least it would have been relevant.

Here's a trivia question for you: Who holds the record for the longest filibuster in US Senate history? He was speaking against desegregation, btw. Hint: he wasn't a Republican.

JSobecky, you have the political attention span of a magpie. Just what the hell does a filibuster from almost 50 years ago have to do with black-bagging and secret torture camps set up by the CURRENT Administration?

In case you didn't notice, the White House has changed hands since 1957, and there have been SEVERAL Constitutional Amendments ratified since then. So why don't you get with the times, and instead try and justify how the CURRENT REPUBLICAN ADMINISTRATION's approval of these secret torture camps is anything other than a heinous atrocity?

Hint: It's not by telling me what people did over 50 years ago.

Jeez, it never ends with you, does it? I tell you what, you provide me with a validated statistic that proves that the majority of murders in America are committed by illegal immigrants, and then I'll consider ALMOST as big a threat as the LEGALIZED abduction and torture of children.

You would be more on target if you apologized for spreading
disinformation .

ROFLMAO! You DARE accuse ME of disinformation? Well paint me black and call me a kettle.

Let's review the FACTS, shall we?

I said the legalization of abducting and torturing children is a heinous act railroaded by a Republican congress and presidential administration.

YOU accuse me of making a false statement and your "evidence" is that some guy from 50 years ago proposed a Southern Manifesto?

YOU then proceed to further dilute and deflect the subject by bringing up "The Longest Filibuster" (again, 50 years ago), by a man who later TURNED Republican (which is conveniently left out of your statement).

Look, JSobecky, you've done nothing to justify the heinous actions of your party, and your further attempt to accuse ME of disinformation while actively engaging in it yourself is an excercise in transparent hypocrisy.

This attitude is exactly why your party lost both the House and the Senate, and is why the President has such an incredibly low approval rating for so long. They commit atrocities that the nation is outraged about, and instead of apologizing, admitting they were wrong, and working to fix it, they, like spoiled children, simply pointed the finger at someone else and refused to acknowledge the accusations.

What astounds me, what just simply blows my mind, is that people like you can still hold such an ignorant, obstinate, and disgusting approval of what the Republicans did, regardless of party affiliation, just because of the label "Republican". When the leadership of our nation enacts legislative and executive policy that goes against the very constitutional foundations of our nation, it doesn't matter what party they are, it's just flat out wrong and shameful. If they had been Democrat, I'd be just as angry and ashamed of them as I am of the Republicans now.

[edit on 11/10/2006 by thelibra]

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 07:39 AM
link   
The great shame of the Democratic party is that it supported Jim Crow as long as it did...the great shame (or should be) of the Republican party is that they took in the racists that fled the Democratic party when they came to their senses and changed with the times. The Republican machinery has played the race card whenever they thought that they could get aways with it ever since.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I am consistantly amazed by the conservative antipathy for the Democrats and liberals. I do my best to write it off as coming from under-educated people who buy into the smears of hard-right blah blah blah radio and the rants published by Regency press, but it really does seem to go beyond that.

I can accept that there are people who feel that we are taxed too much and/or the government should only spend the money it collects on defense and nothing else, even though I disagree.

I can accept that there are people who are opposed to gun controls, abortion and things such as gay marriage (why shouldn't gays marry? Why should they get to be the only ones who are happy?
) but with the exception of gun control, really they are matters of personal beliefs, and should not be a matter of public policy. For ex: the idea of a constituitional amendment banning gay marriage is profoundly wrong. The last time the constituition was manulipated to deny individuals rights was when it was decided that blacks were to be counted as 3/4 human to molify the slave owners of the south, during the constituitional convention. It sets a dangerous precedent to use it to deny individual rights. It should only be used to affirm rights, not deny them. The same is true with abortion, ultimately it is a womans body and it should only be her choice, and that of her spouse (if there is one) when and if she should reproduce. If your religious faith condemns abortion, more power to you, but that does not give you the right to deny that choice to others.

When you look at what the liberals really stand for these days, there is little if anything radical in their platform.
• A minimum wage increase. That should be a no brainer. Who really does the work in this country, a fat CEO or the stiff on the graveyard shift scraping by? I would much rather see some of the excess that the fat cat pulls down go to the stiff any day.
• Closing corporate tax loopholes. Another no brainer I would think. If you do business in this country then you shouldn't be able to get out of it because of a P.O. Box in Barbados. It really will not effect their profits if the stock market is to be believed...and they will not abandon this country because of taxes.
• Keep our jobs here. Out sourcing is bad for everyone who works for a living, white collar or blue. Penalize companies that do it with a higher tax bracket.
• And what is so wrong with unions? Before the unions workers were working for pennies on the dollar with few benefits and in often dangerous conditions and no power. Unions made it so your father or grandfather could become middle class in the first place, a class that is ebbing away and one that still needs protection. The only ones who lose when you spread the wealth around more equitably are the ones who want it all for themselves.
• And what is so wrong with better and stronger workplace regulations? If you work in conditions that are dangerous then you need as much help as possible anyway. Mandating corporate responsiblity should be a given.
• This is even more so in regards to the environment. It is OUR planet...every man woman and child's from Bejing to Kalamazoo...not Exxon's to exploit or pollute as they chose. Conservation should always be considered sound national policy...moving is not an option...remember that. We foul our nest and we got to live in if and a smaller profit margin is no excuse.
• Racial equality. Another no brainer and one we are still working on. Our rights and responsiblities as citizens have to apply equally to all of us regardless of race or gender before there can be any real justice.
• Iraq. Developing a timetable for leaving is not cut and running. It is a simple reality. If we stay there indefinately then the Iraqi "government" will never stand up for itself. What we are doing is called enabling. And that is besides the fact that the mess there is entirely of our own doing and that we should have never invaded in the first place.
• A change in policy in the so-called war on terror is needed too. Military action against people who can disappear into crowds only breeds more hostitlity, ask the Israelis about that...actually don't they haven't learned that lesson either. Most countries treat the terrorists as criminals and deal with them as such. That would be a far better and more practial and cheaper approach and to do so does not mean being weak on them. The military should be used rarely but when it is used it should be used in situitions where is power has an effect and it can win. The war on terror is not and never will be that situition.

I could go on but my soap box is creaking.

[edit on 10-11-2006 by grover]

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd

Anyway, I wonder if Bush is smiling because he's high on pain meds after having his balls removed...must hurt.

Anyway, pretty interesting that Bush is now 'open to ideas' on Iraq. Almost like a dog rolling over and exposing it's belly as a sign of submission.

Bush's reaction is simply the rational, logical, adult reaction to accepting the fact that he lost a public referendum on his policies. Folks love to make fun of him and remind us how stupid he is, but apparently he's smart enough to realize when he's been beaten, and how to accept it with rationality and civility.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join