It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is there over 44 million more men than women in the world?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Why is there over 44 million more men than women in the world?

According to the numbers, it looks like there's continuously more males being born than females.

Any comments or explainations?

If you don't believe me, then check out the current world population statistics on this government weblink by scrolling down and clicking on "Submit Query":
www.census.gov...

[edit on 7-11-2006 by realanswers]

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I dont know really, in my school in every classroom there seems to be around a 2 : 1 girl : guy ratio

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   

posted by realanswers

Why is there over 44 million more men than women in the world? According to the numbers, it looks like there's continuously more males being born than females. Any comments or explainations?

With 6.55 billion people, that is merely 1.34%, which is probably less than the accuracy of the estimates.

newton.nap.edu...

[edit on 11/7/2006 by donwhite]

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Some of it could be due to female infanticide in places like India and China.

I pity a young man looking for a female companion in those countries, it's actually going to be a real problem.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I have to say that given the generally higher life expectancy for women than men in the developed world and the propensity for us blokes to get bumped off in conflicts I find that statistic rather surprising.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   
For some reason I always thought women outnumbered men.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
as i know it there are more woman then man in western countries and more man then woman in hmm... places like india and chine like the dude above me stated. i know why man in those countries but why more woman in western countries?

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   
For some reason, there are more males than females initially at birth, like 107 males for every 100 females. The number tapers down as life goes on. Males tend to die younger for a number of reasons.

Its not a surprising stastistic when you think about countries not in the west. In China, India, and the middle east, sons are more valuable than daughters, and thus female infants are usually killed or aborted in the womb. And since those regions vastly outnumber the west where females and males aren't really looked at much differently, it is not a surprise.

Outside of western society, much of the world tends to still hold negative views towards females.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund
Some of it could be due to female infanticide in places like India and China.

I pity a young man looking for a female companion in those countries, it's actually going to be a real problem.

That's part of it. And you have to consider WHERE the stats come from. Women in poorer countries have a shorter lifespan than the men (childbirth is dangrous) and they are more likely to be killed or to die early. In some cultures it's okay to be abusive to female servants and to women (and this is not necessarily Muslim countries... there are others areas (including some Christianized ones in Africa) where this is not uncommon.) This leads to more deaths among women.

During the Vietnam war, it was rumored that men would make their wives walk in front of them in areas where there were land mines. Things like that ensure the survival of the men but not the women.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   
HEY!

Be Thankful for that!

Imagine if there were more MEN?

There is enough wars already with this Man-Woman Ration.

[edit on 8/11/06 by Souljah]

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   
The Y chromosome is smaller and lighter than the X chromosome, so it's easier for sperm that would create males to get to the egg than sperm that create females. But, having only one X chromosome makes males more susceptible to genetic diseases, etc. So populations in the third world that are composed of mainly young people have more men than women, but the industrialized first world countries tend to have older populations and a higher percentage of women.

Add to that the abortion and infanticide of baby girls in China and other countries, it makes sense that there would be more males in total.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   
44 million is not much when you think about the amount of people in the world. As mentioned above it is just over a 1% differnece. Be kinda freaky if there was no difference and it was 50/50 dont you think. That percentage seems pretty good to me and is a sign that things are well balanced.

If any men are finding it hard getting a woman then there is a city in UK where woman outnumber men by 6 to 1 because of the amounts of nurse colleges there
if your interested

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Thesaint,here in the states,if you're really looking for a place where the women outnumber the men, just go to any college town!! Most universities have a student body where females outnumber males 3 or 4 to 1,excluding trade schools.

I have to really scratch my head on this one because I guess due to the fact that I live in the U.S, it has always seemed to me that females outnumber the males here. I don't know the exact ratio,but I would venture that the ratio is 3:1 in favor of females here.

[edit on 8-11-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

top topics

join