It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran: They are getting away with it..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
It seems to me, as someone thats kept an eye on the whole Nucleur debarcle, that Iran are getting away with it.

With all the talk of tough sanctions leading to a military assault, China and Russia are still blocking any kind of meaningful sanctions against Iran..

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - Russia proposed major deletions to a European draft U.N. resolution aimed at stemming Iran's nuclear ambitions, according to a text of Moscow's proposed amendments obtained by Reuters on Tuesday.

Reuters

From the same source..

"Clearly I think in a number of difficult areas the difference cannot be bridged so I believe there should be more reflections in capitals," China's U.N. ambassador, Wang Guangya, said after the meeting.

Translation? "We will continue tippy-toeing around and objecting to even the most basic of sanctions while we still do business with Iran untill their Nucleur Program is so advanced that the whole issue becomes a moot point"

Russia and China obviously have no real problem with the Iranian Nucleur program or they'd be behaving differantly. This whole fiasco seems to be taking place to appease the United States.

And what will the U.S do about it? Nothing. They will continue to push the Europeans and Russia and China to sanction Iran and Russia and China will continue to stall and object. Seems like the U.S is getting some of it's own medicine in the U.N!

Will thay attack Iran? No chance. They will have no international support (or very little). This time there will be no coalition. The Labour party in the U.K cannot afford to jump on another "Iraqesqe" campaign and any other support would be token. The U.S realisticly doesn't have the resources to get involved in Iran as well as Iraq and Afganistan. Especially with all the anti-war sentiment in the U.S.

Will thay just bomb their Nuke facilities? Nope ,too hard and Iran will rightly respond. Will Israel do the work for them?

"Israel will not target Iran's nuclear facilities because it has said this is a problem of the entire world," the official told AFP. "Israel understands that the only way to defuse the nuclear crisis is through diplomatic channels."

Link

Whether you like it or not. We all better get used to the idea of a Nucleur Iran.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I think we just have to accept that enevitably everyone is going to get access to "peaceful" Nuclear power.

Then itll only be a matter of time until these people start developing Nuclear weapons as a "Deterrant" against "hostilitys".

Then itll just be a matter of time until the # hits the fan.

KABOOOM !!

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I'm curious that the official was never named in the article, although plenty of news stories make it through with anonymous sources. And those are the kind usually that keep my skeptometer up.

Israel has stated repeatedly that it will not tolerate a nuclear-armed Iran, and one need not wonder why with Iran's threatening to wipe Israel off the map. I don't buy all this crap about Iran never meant it like that.

You may be right about having to live with a nuclear Iran, but I will add that at the first evidence of any Iranian nuclear weapon- Israel will strike, regardless of US policy, and they have made that clear before. I just don't trust Iran with a nuke, as anti-semitism is too high, and embedded in their souls. I believe that sentiment would overrule any sense of caution in a nuclear armed Iran, and they would be very tempted, every single day to push the button.

Allowing Iran to have peaceful nuclear energy just brings that possibility one step closer, regardless of any Russian or IAEA oversight. You can bet than any Iranian nuclear arms program will be kept so secret that by the time it is discovered, it will be too late for Israel. How do you suppose North Korea got away with it? It wasn't by putting the development where all the world could see it clearly with satellites!

And I suppose Isreal is to trust Russia and the IAEA to prevent a nuclear armed Iran, just the way the world trusted China and the IAEA to prevent that in North Korea?

Israel: :shk:
:shk:

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 10:47 PM
link   
This all seems funny. Its like Russia and China want more nukes in the world...maybe to attack the states..you never know. You never know.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 01:36 AM
link   
The Russians and Chinese are more interested in thwarting the US's ongoing hegemonic campaign than they are in preventing Iran from getting nuclear weapons - no doubt in part because they have hegemonic ambitions of their own.

In truth, Iran's nuclear ambitions don't represent much of a threat to either, or to anyone besides Israel, which fears the loss of its nuclear monopoly in the Mideast.

Even if Iran were to actually start building nukes, as opposed to simply researching how to build them, it's in no position to realistically threaten either country, or for that matter the Europeans, who have a sizeable nuclear arsenal of their own. Even the Israelis have little to fear in terms of actual attack from Iran - they easily have enough of an arsenal to flatten most of Iran in minutes.

What they fear is no longer having the regional trump card they've held for several decades now. They will no longer be able to brandish their nuclear arsenal without fear of retaliation in like kind. Like it or not, MAD works - even a regime like that in North Korea (one so deeply deranged that it makes the Iranian theocracy look like a bunch of Hello Kitty dolls) has to stare the certainty of total anihilation in the face when contemplating using a nuke.

Nuclear proliferation is a reality we are going to have to learn to live with. There's no repealing the laws of physics, and the reality is that any country with the means and the motivation to develop nukes will do so. There's not much we can do about the means short of bombing half the planet back to the stone age - perhaps a better tactic would be to address the motivation.

Edn

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Get away with what? I've never seen them mention any interest in nuclear weapons, there not stupid enough to use nuclear weapons on Israel, if anything Israel are more likely to attack Iran than the other way around. So what exactly are they getting away with?

bih

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 03:46 AM
link   
hahaha israel,they are only good at killing woman and children just like serbs in bosnia

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 05:14 AM
link   
So what is the problem

Iran having this technology.

There are countries in this world that would much easier push the button than this country of Iran.

The US have these bombs and the have shot of a couple.

Why would Iran not be allowed to have the bombs when otjer countries can.

Please spare me the answer that the US has a better responsibility in these matters than countries like Iran, cause they have not

If i have any fear of a nuclear attack than it is the pre-emptive strikes that the US has promised

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Why could Iran not have nukes when half the world has them.

Countries like the US stated that they would fire off these nukes for much smaller reasons.

In my opinion the real danger of launching nukes comes from the US at this moment with their plans for a pre-emptive nuclear strike on Iran.

This is like a kinder garden discussion going on in the world.

We know best so we can have them, you are weak so we tell you what to do.
We have power over the world media and they tell that Iran is the danger.
We are for peace and if you dont like it we nuke you.

It is just amazing that so many people swallow this kinder garden logic from the corporate media.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Moscow, in fact, expects NATO military intervention. Their revisions of the EU text are done only so that they can distance themselves from the inevitable attack on Iran's nuclear installations. We will see a NATO buildup in Afghanistan, where NATO will position itself for an attack. Meanwhile, Israel will launch further campaigns against Iran's state sponsored terror organizations, such as Hezbollah. They should now have intel about them and a good estimate of their strength and political organization after the recent 34 day campaign.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Sanctions won’t do anything to Iran; the Ayatollah pretty much decides on who can run for election so its not like a proper democracy where someone can say “vote for me and I’ll get rid of this nuclear weapons programme which will get rid of these awful sanctions”. But because of the nature of Iranian political system they do have many of the advantages of a democracy as far as knowing (more or less) who exactly the opposition is. And the security services have lists of “token rogue journalists.

Point is they are in a position survive sanctions; and with oil prices so high if they do trade oil illegally the chances are it will get them at least what it would a few years ago.

So yes Iran is getting away with it. But it’s only because Israel hasn’t sorted them out yet. Now I'm not saying they have to; just that I don’t think we should be attacking them and causing a backlash (covert or overt like the use of terrorists) against our interests in the Middle East which are far more geographically extensive than anything Israel has.
As for an all out war this is just crazy. With only a few million barrels spare capacity in the global oil market Iran doesn’t have to do much damage to send the price skyrocketing. The effects would last months, if not easily a year(s) (again thanks to Iran’s state backed terror groups). The effects of this would be certain: A worldwide recession that would make the Wall Street crash look like picnic. Israel’s interests would also be failed as a few Iranian biological weapons (which are already directed at Israel) could easily kill a few million of their 6.25 million people.

That’s why NumberCruncher is right we will just have to accept it. Of course it would be nice if we had invaded Iran as opposed to Iraq; or even better to have kept Saddam and set the two countries against each other (just like before). Only we can’t turn back time.
However this represents our only hope: Ether restore, or (somehow) (big somehow) find another one to rule Iraq. Then allow a conflict between Iran and Iraq to take of. This is only possible if a secular leader comes to power (and more realistically with a Ba’thist agenda).

Sadly I don’t think we’ll be doing anything like that. Instead we are now in a position where we are logically forced to watch Iran develop nukes. A few token sanctions would be nice (but don’t expect much other than the suffering of the Iranian people).
Quite frankly we’re too close to “check mate” and we’re fast disposing of our (underestimated) remaining pieces on the board (and they’re no longer in a great position anyway).

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Now that the Democrats are in the driver seat lets see what plan they have. Maybe they will offer radiation hardend chips to them so they can target us better like Clinton did the Chineese.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   

They should now have intel about them and a good estimate of their strength and political organization after the recent 34 day campaign.

Hehe yes, getting your behinds kicked can be quite an educational experience. Getting your "invincible" Merkava's repeatedly perforated by a group of guerilla infantry has got to be a little humbling. With all Israel's military might, they barely made it to the Litani, and did so with far higher casualties than they expected. Just as the tide is turning against the Right here in the US, the tide is also turning against US hegemony worldwide.

NATO military action? Are you kidding? The Europeans are not at all interested in joining any US military adventure in Iran. The UK has already publicly ruled it out, you're telling me France and Germany are eager to go stick their hands in a meat grinder?

[edit on 11/8/06 by xmotex]

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Its inevitable that this would happen and it has been prophecied a few thousand years ago already. Iran (Pursia) will try and attack Isreal at some point when they try and let their bombs off it will just explode in their hands.

www.utopiasilver.com...

Let Iran and the Middle East have these weapons I would mind seeing if they can handle the power of its potential to destroy, it will be tempting the fanitics want a religious answer or it willbe used to further inprison western libities some how because the West will be even more willing to be nice about the culture of Peace as they like us to believe. Every prison is peaceful as long as you don't make phone calls to Christ so to speak.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Since the Liberals have been complaining the Bush administration and GOP Congress haven't been doing enough... let's see what they plan to do now.

Hm... appeasement is my guess. Doesn't that ring a bell? Appeasement and Hitler.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Don't worry. Iran will not get away with anything...........The Antichrist will deal with them

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
he only way there will be peac in the world is if america got rid of al their nukes.and owned up that they are bas**rds and that wanted to rule the whole world but couldnt and they are

so soryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Russia and China are portrayed as the "bad guys" because 1 country that has already obtained Nukes through subtrefuge and deciet believes they have Nuclear weapons and fear their loss of Nuclear blackmail over an entire region, meanwhile nations all over the world are enraged over Israels latest bloodbathing of the Palestinians, and America is the sole Veto in the Security council and many consider this heroic. Something is wrong here.

If say a country like Belgium which has no nuclear weapons were protesting that their next door neighbor Luxemborg were aquiring nuke weapons and had valid proof, it should be something that should be seriously acted upon.

The IAEA has shown no conclusive evidence, the Israelis have never offered any conclusive evidence other then rhetoric. Russia and China are using their power wisely before they alienate their ally. Lets look at our judgement when it came to our Intelligence assets in ME (Read Mossad) telling us that Iraq had WMD's. Seems more like a hitlist on the competition is attempting to be carried out moreso then anything legitimate. We should know by now that Israeli judgement is not exactly the best thing to rely upon before we move on to the next item on the list and make another big mistake that just happens to fall in their favor.

In actuality there are only 4 countries that have "Gotten Away With It" and thats North Korea, Pakistan,India and Israel.

[edit on 10-11-2006 by ThePieMaN]

top topics

join