It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Jailed for Putting Puppy in Oven

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (AP) -- A man who pleaded guilty to putting his wife's puppy in a 200-degree oven, crippling it, was sentenced Monday to six months in jail.

Third District Judge William Barrett ordered Marc Christopher Vincent, 36, to serve six months in jail without the chance of early release. He must also pay a $500 fine and $986 in veterinary bills for the dog. edition.cnn.com...

It doesn't say why he did it in the link, but I think that 6 months for attempting to burn a puppy is an unbelievably low sentence. If a man can get 10 years for circumsizing his daughter, then this guy should get way more than a year. What if it was her baby instead of her puppy?

[edit on 7-11-2006 by 1Crisis]

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 07:46 PM
link   
most people put live lobsters in boiling water(or do they slowly raise the heat)....imagine if he put the puppy in water and slowly raised the heat to boiling.....(what if he did it because he like the taste of boiled puppy meat? what would we do to him??? of course people dont boil lobsters out of spite or meanness but its still a living thing so whats the difference? money? eat what we tell you to eat? do what we tell you to do? where does it end? go have yourself a pig slaughter. boil a puppy or a lobster. this is a free country.

[edit on 7-11-2006 by Funkydung]

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   

what if he did it because he like the taste of boiled puppy meat?

Then I think he needs to go to South Korea. Here in the states eating dogs is very much illegal.

people dont boil lobsters out of spite or meanness but its still a living thing so whats the difference?

Well there isn't much difference besides the fact that lobsters nervous systems are too simple to process pain.

this is a free country.

Correct, but boiling a puppy isn't in the agreement of living in this wonderful free country.

Crisis

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I have to agree with the author. I feel cruelty to animals does not carry a stiff enough punishment for the convicted. The jail time is debatable, but the fine certainly needs a serious hike. I would support at least a $5000 fine that should be directed towards some sort of Animal rights agency, or at least a portion of it.

Putting a puppy in an oven has had him receive six months behind bars and less than $1500 in fines. Thats not enough.

But putting him behind bars for a few years does nothing either. Only milk more tax dollars out of the system. Would it be logical to tag a serious load of community service hours on the end of his conviction? Makes sense to me.

Would anyone support equal punishments on crimes that are committed on animals rather than humans? I fail to see where we decipher a difference in the two. Our ability to communicate with one another?

I'm not an animal rights advocate, but I do support those who are. We should protect those who can not stand up for themselves.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   
FunkyDung,

Just because it is a free country doesn't give you the right to break the law. "Free Country" doesn't mean do whatever the hell you want.

A Lobster doesn't feel pain. Their nervous system is too simple. Neither does a cow feel pain when it is killed at the slaughter house due to the speed it is performed at. Sure, there are videos going around of rednecks torturing the poor things - but it isn't protocol to do this.

abcnews.go.com...

A recent scientific report from Norway has added fuel to this long-simmering debate. The study, funded by the Norwegian government, finds that animals like lobsters have nervous systems that are too simple to process what we call "pain."

A dog, however, feels just as much pain as a human when it has been put in a 200 degree oven. Doing something like that to a dog is strictly illegal and barbaric.

If he wants to eat dog meat, he can go to South Korea. Even then if he MUST do it he could at least not put the poor animal in when it is still alive. That is still down right wrong though.

Regardless of that, he did this out of spite and took his anger out on an innocent dog.

If it were up to me I'd give him 10 years for it, if not more.

Your logic is down right appauling FunkyDung.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Funkydung
this is a free country.

Of all the bs excuses we could come up with, this was your choice. It is a free country, so I have the rights to do as I please. Women, ahh abuse them as we please. Money? To hell with work, I'll knock off a few stores. Its a free country right... right? ...right?

Wrong!

Surely you do not actually stand by the words you've just posted.

Originally posted by doctorfungi
If it were up to me I'd give him 10 years for it, if not more.

I initially thought so too, but it solves nothing. It only costs tax payers more money. Give him jail time, with one helluva fine and a buttload of community service. Force him to spend years working off his community service, and years more to finally pay this fine off. Jail time is necessary, but it should not be the brunt of the punishment.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I'm all for increased punishment for animal cruelty and it needs to be taken more seriously. I don't make much distinction between the kind of people that would do horrible things to an animal and people who do horrible things to other people. There are plenty of studies showing a link between animal cruelty and violence against people. If someone is sick enough to do this kind of thing to an animal, there is something wrong with them.

The man put a puppy in the oven because he was mad at his wife, not because he was hungry. :shk: If that doesn't suggest some serious mental and anger issues, I'm not sure what does.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 08:49 PM
link   

cruelty to animals does not carry a stiff enough punishment for the convicted.

I definitely agree to that. I mean when you watch a movie isn't there always a warning message that says if you reproduce and sell this video you get a fine of 250,000? So if we steal someone elses idea and use it to gain money we get a 250,000 dollar fine, but if we toss a puppy in an oven we get a 500 dollar fine? There doesn't seem to be any logical explanation for that, and if there is someone please explain.

Would it be logical to tag a serious load of community service hours on the end of his conviction?

Yes, but only in the sense that the court decide on which grounds the community service is served. I know from experience that community service can be extremely easy, and extremely hard. It all depends on the service you choose to take part in.

Now I think the perfect community service for someone like him to serve his/her hours would be in a Humane Society. It's like being a janitor (which is a horrible job) but it has more to it. I remember when I had to serve community service I chose to serve my hours in the Humane Society. First off it was more confusing than ever, and everyone seemed way too busy to stop and help you. I basically had to figure out everything on my own. Like some of the leashes on the dogs were terrible, you had to use your fingernail to get down the latch on the hook, and then you had to try and latch it onto the hook in the walkthrough which was very hard since your finger was in the way.

I ended up getting fired because, the guy I was working with screwed up and they had to reclean all of the kennels which resulted in them having to back up all of their schedules. The guy blamed it on me and they took absolutley no time to investigate they just fired me instantly the next day.

Community service was definitely needed in his sentence because, I feel that it teaches some self respect, and lets you know you'll have to all of that over again if you screw up.

putting him behind bars for a few years does nothing either

Just curious Chissler, but have you been behind bars? It's not just a pushover, it's very stressful and all you get is books and cards. I'd say it puts the most stress on drug addicts because, once they're behind bars, there is no more drugs and the recovery process for it is painful. I wouldn't know from experience but I do know people who have gone through it, and they end up shaking and moaning in their sleep.

Crisis

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1Crisis

putting him behind bars for a few years does nothing either

Just curious Chissler, but have you been behind bars? It's not just a pushover, it's very stressful and all you get is books and cards.

Nah, I've never done any hard time. Did do a night in the drunk tank once, (Real bad night), but thats beside the point.

Prison also comes with guaranteed shelter, warm clothes, three meals a day. Basically he gets to lay on his ass all day while sponging our tax dollars. Taking away his freedom does nothing for a crime like this. Put his ass out on the street and make him work. Put him in a position where someone is going to benefit from his time and efforts.

I don't believe jail is the answer to all crimes.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   

lay on his ass all day

Well that can get very, very boring and it does make you think, a lot. Most of the times i'm bored I always use my mind. It can be a very entertaining thing! I also think about a lot of things that are happening in my life, and I usually mentally fix them.

Put his ass out on the street and make him work.

I'm not disagreeing with you but I do think that sitting in a locked up hunk of cement for a year missing out on all of what your life could be and all of your goals, can do a lot more damage than physical labor.

Putting him out on the street and making him work for free also gives him something, and thats work ethic. He's still going to be thinking about what he's done the entire time he's working, and he's going to repent, but at the end of the day he still gets to go home to his family, or loved ones.

Making him go through the same thing every single day for a year, and worrying about all of the other guys in there with him, to me, makes things much, much worse IMHO.
Crisis

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Putting him out on the street and making him work for free also gives him something, and thats work ethic. He's still going to be thinking about what he's done the entire time he's working, and he's going to repent, but at the end of the day he still gets to go home to his family, or loved ones.

Great point and I love your willingness to push this issue.

This is why I stand for a jail term aswell. But I feel jail time is not the only answer. This man should not sit in a cell for 6 months and then be done with it. When he gets out he should have some service to repay to society, as we are still owed something. His jail term is not a sufficient payment to society.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   
This made me cry a little. a 6'2" 250lb full grown adult male. This is absolutely disgusting. Shoot him. or put him in an oven.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by YoBrandonRaps
This is absolutely disgusting. Shoot him. or put him in an oven.

Agreed 100% on the disgusting. But shooting him or putting him in the oven does nothing. If we are too invoke rash penalties like some of us have proposed, we would be no better. He should face the court and confess to his actions. He should lose his freedom for a lengthy period of time, followed by many, many, many months of community service.

We need to separate the state from the psycho's that we are putting behind bars. Unfortunately, removing their basic human rights is not something were capable of doing. Regardless of their crime, they withhold the right to a fair trial.

Sometimes our system is more of a shield than a sword. That is a problem, but we can only take it so far.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   

a 6'2" 250lb full grown adult male. This is absolutely disgusting.

Why is that so disgusting? I'm really confused there.

When he gets out he should have some service to repay to society

Yeah I agree, thats definitley a worthy punishment since the dog didn't actually die.

Shoot him. or put him in an oven.

I'm sure there are some people that agree with you but you don't even know this man, or the dog. I'm not sure why it means so much to you, that you would want this man shot. Thats disgusting to me. I mean think about it, unless he's mentally retarded, i'm pretty sure what he did was an act of vengeance for whatever his wife did to him.

We are human and we do make mistakes, that could've happened to anyone of us. Considering you can't control your anger that is.

Crisis

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   

a 6'2" 250lb full grown adult male. This is absolutely disgusting.

Why is that so disgusting? I'm really confused there.

The man putting the dog in the oven is what the member was referring to. Not the mans height & weight.

I'm sure there are some people that agree with you but you don't even know this man, or the dog. I'm not sure why it means so much to you, that you would want this man shot. Thats disgusting to me.

Well I agree we should not calling for this man to be shot, but we should be screaming for justice. Some are going to say shooting him is justice, but they are the hungry for revenge.

I mean think about it, unless he's mentally retarded, i'm pretty sure what he did was an act of vengeance for whatever his wife did to him.

Is that justifying his actions? His wife pissed him off so he's within his own right to cook his dog? What if it was someone else's dog? A witty quote from the movie, Road Trip, comes to mind here. ...Since it is your dog, right? ...uhh right?

You'd have to see the movie to know what I'm talking about there.

If you can elaborate on this point, I would appreciate it. I'm confused how you consider this a justifiable action.

We are human and we do make mistakes, that could've happened to anyone of us. Considering you can't control your anger that is.

Crisis

Dude, he didn't hit it. He didn't kick it, refuse to feed it, or yell at it. He put it in the oven! Could happen to anyone? What? I need a minute..
. Ahh thank you. You actually believe this could happen to anyone?

Now this is why I LOVE AboveTopSecret. We have a thread where a man puts his dog in the oven, and we have members who defend it. Take no offense 1Crisis, because none is intended. It is members like you that make this site great for me. I do not say this in a condescending tone, or disrespectable in any way. I truly appreciate a member who is willing to take a stance that I would of otherwise, never expected.

I'm interested to see where this thread goes.

[edit on 8-11-2006 by chissler]

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 05:42 PM
link   
That's beyond sick!! What the hell is wrong with people?

You know, people like this aren't even worth the breath we spend complaining about them. It is one thing to go out and shoot a deer for meat to eat; it is even excusable to boil a lobster,but to put a puppy in an oven? What?

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   

I mean think about it, unless he's mentally retarded, i'm pretty sure what he did was an act of vengeance for whatever his wife did to him.

Oh,so that makes it okey dokey??!!
:shk:

Oh,and by the way, anyone who does what he did, is definitely "retarded."

[edit on 8-11-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   
The term "retarded", in my opinion, is politically incorrect.

If at all possible, I would appreciate if we could choose another term to describe the situation.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   

I would appreciate if we could choose another term to describe the situation.

Chissler, I'm not sure if there is a different way to describe what i'm trying to say but i'll try.

I meant mentally challenged? In a way that no one in their right mind would do that sort of thing. Either he knew he was doing it, or he isn't capable of comprehending that putting a dog in an oven will cost him greatly.

My apologies to you chissler if I offended you with that word. I'll make sure I don't use it on ATS again.

Crisis

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I remember a story in Milwaukee about a man who killed a rat in his home. (shot it after he caught it) The neighbor happened to see, called the police, and the man ended up in jail for 8 years.

While this case seriously points to the man's need of anger management, I agree that jail will not do any good. And any more jail time calls into question the value of a dog life over a human's...

The man needs some serious anger management, and needs to be educated on how to properly handle anger. (Depending on what, exactly, set him off.. I'd even suggest marriage counselling.)

I do not understand people like this, but that is because lashing out in anger is simply beyond my comprehension. I watched my father lash out at inantimate objects for many years, and because of it I simply *cannot* lash out at all. (Odd to say, in a weird way, I envy people who can let their anger out.)

I'm honestly surprised that the man did not get any mandatory time on the couch..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join