It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heineken Will Track Beer by Satellite

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Do you know where your beer is? Dutch beer maker Heineken wants to make sure - so it has put together a team that includes IBM and the University of Amsterdam to track beer by satellite. Beer Living Lab is a pilot project that will track 20 beer containers shipped from the Netherlands to Heineken's UK distribution centre. Each container will be outfitted with GSM, GPRS and global positioning systems. Satellite uplinks will be provided due to particular technical problems with RFID, which can only be read when the tag is close to a RFID reader.

The data will be transmitted to a computer center hosted by IBM; the WebSphere platform will be used to run the service software.
www.space.com...

Well this just seems like a waste of a satellite, and money. It would definitely speed up deliveries, but not by much.

[edit on 7-11-2006 by 1Crisis]

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   
They can track beer but have all those weapons on the loose in Iraq?

The CIA should be hanging their heads in shame... imho.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by psyopswatcher

Ya lets waste our money on tracking beer insted of other important stuff.
Next thing you know they will invent rfid chips that are put in cigs that u inhale in the smoke. Ill tell you what this country just loves to waste its money on stupid stuff.

apc

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Never underestimate the technical ingenuity of a bunch of pot-heads. Sneaky Dutch. Glad I started drinking Beck's. The Germans never did anything to anyone!

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Don't need a satellite to track beer. just run down to your friendly neighborhood waste and water treatment plant. and there it is.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Ya lets waste our money on tracking beer insted of other important stuff

If you look at the link I just posted but forgot to earlier, it talks about programmable soda, and a refrigerator robot.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Everythingyouknowisalie
Next thing you know they will invent rfid chips that are put in cigs that u inhale in the smoke. Ill tell you what this country just loves to waste its money on stupid stuff.

So... You do know that Heineken is a private company outside of the US, right...?

Also, FedEx and UPS have been doing this for years, right down to the basic delivery truck. It allows them to speedily navigate through construction, traffic jams, and other hazards.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Oh... I didn't know you own the Heinikan company? ... Or is that we pay taxes to them? ..... How is it 'our' money being wasted? They are not the first company to do this.. UPS, FEDX and I am sure many others.

Anyways, Bud Select for me please!

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I dont understand what the point of this would be?

Edn

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 02:55 AM
link   
iCEdTenG the guys at Heineken probably think its a fun project to do, and why not. Its not every day you can claim to have your own satellite

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 02:56 AM
link   
You should see this Heineken add which aired last year in The Netherlands about Heineken discovering on Mars, really cool.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by skitzo
Don't need a satellite to track beer. just run down to your friendly neighborhood waste and water treatment plant. and there it is.

It's been a few years, but my favorite bathroom graffiti was always:

"You only rent the beer"

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid

So... You do know that Heineken is a private company outside of the US, right...?

Also, FedEx and UPS have been doing this for years, right down to the basic delivery truck. It allows them to speedily navigate through construction, traffic jams, and other hazards.

Yes Kid, I know Heineken is in Amsterdam. The plant is right across the square from the diamond cutters, I've been there.

But look what else is in Amsterdam, the company that will supply the RFID chips that are being used in American passports, beginning last summer in Denver:

U.S. set to issue passports with RFID chips

An August deadline will be met despite fears of security experts

The passive 64Kb RFID devices in the new passports will be supplied by Infineon Technologies North America Corp. of San Jose and Amsterdam-based Gemalto NV, Moss said. The E-passports meet specifications laid down by the Montreal-based International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), a United Nations standards body.

The ICAO has been pushing for its 189-member countries to adopt machine-readable passports by 2010.

Coincidence? You tell me.

[edit on 10-11-2006 by psyopswatcher]

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
How are chips in non american beer which is being transported to the uk related in anyway to chips in american passports? I'm not understanding what your trying to say?

Is it maybe possible that this comapny making rfid chips happens to be pretty good at making them so more than one person wants to use them and in some crazy idea in an attempt to make money they decided to sell their products to more than one person?

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Almeister, my beef is that since this technology is available yet THEY DIDN'T USE IT TO TRACK THE WEAPONS SHIPMENTS IN IRAQ.

That's the connection.

They put weapons into the hands of a newly liberated, questionably loyal, Iraqi security force, yet have no idea where they are.

A beer company can do better.

top topics

join