It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Consistency of Visible Light

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I find visible radiation from the electromagnetic spectrum to be rather interesting. The other sections of the electromagnetic spectrum; radio frequency, microwaves, terahertz radiation, infrared radiation, ultra violet light, x-rays, and gamma rays require a source of energy. These eventually fade over time. Even the gamma ray bursts that were discovered to be shockwaves from the big bang will disipate eventually.

Light waves that eminate from color however, I believe do not disipate. For instance, the light waves that eminate from the color of the paint on your wall are consistant. They dissipate over distance but not nessicarily over time (if the source of the color was consistant). The paint may oxydize and become dirty, eventually detereorating from chemical properties, but the light itself is a seperate variable.

My question is, what variable allows for the consistancy of visible light eminating from color? What is the energy source of those waves of light?

I hypothesize that there are different types of visible light, stemming from chemical reactions, heat reactions, etc., and those reactions determain the consistency of the light wave.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Sorry to tell you that, but the visibile light behave exactly like the other wave: it is produced by source of energy and "vanish" in the same way with the distance. Actualy, it does not vanish: a photon is always a photon. But it is dissipated in all the direction.
Moreover textil does not produce visible light, it receives light from the sun or whatever and transform reflect the specific range of wave that your eyes see (the rest is absorbed and transformed in heat).
Not only it may reflect visible light, but also light that your eyes are not able to see, as infrared or UV...

Bye

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grey
My question is, what variable allows for the consistancy of visible light eminating from color? What is the energy source of those waves of light?

Sorry to dissapoint you, but Light does NOT come from color. Color comes from light! it's a reflection of the diffrerent wave lengths.

What we see as white light is actually a mixture of all the colors of the spectrum. Color is a byproduct of the light absorbtion properities of different materials. If something reflects ALL wavelengths of light, it appears to be white. If it Only reflects one color, it appears to be that color. So a blue shirt absorbs all wavelengths EXCEPT those for blue light. If something absorbs All wavelengths, it appears to be Black. If something neither reflects nor absorbs light, but allows it to pass through, it is CLEAR.

Check out Wikipedia's article on COLOR

Tim

join