It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Did you vote?

page: 2
0
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
Edit to add: DJ, you'll save yourself a lot of time if you just add "I vote straight GOP" to your sig. Actually... you could save even more time by making the reasonably safe assumption that most of us could have guessed that. Not knocking it really, just making an observation that you tend to be pretty staunch.


The only reason I voted was to preserve my bitching rights. I doubt anyone I voted for actually won .




posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I was one of 199 people that voted in my small precinct.



posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I voted, and I did what I could to help get the vote out. Here in my county, its vote by mail, which to my mind takes some of the fun out of voting...hmm, I wonder who she's voting for?

For those who voted...you seriously rock!!!! Those who didn't because you couldn't be bothered...shame on you
. How do we expect to change things if we don't get involved in the process?



posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 03:36 AM
link   
sho' 'nuff.

a lot of the propositions i wanted to pass didn't though. i'm so glad i'm leaving this state in a matter of months.



posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Here's a tidbit on the otherwise highly extolled lever machines:


Roy G. Saltman has noted that the number 99 shows up in the vote totals on lever machines significantly more frequently than would be expected if vote totals were randomly distributed -- that is, the number of 99's is noticably different from the number of 98's or 100's. The probable explanation is that it takes more force to turn the vote counting wheels in a lever machine from 99 to 100, and therefore, if the counter is going to jam, it is more likely to jam at 99. The fact that this is a frequent occurance in vote totals reported from lever machines is empirical evidence that the lever machines that have been used in real elections are, in fact, inadequately maintained and that this results in the loss of a significant number of votes. Exhaustive pre-election testing would be expected to detect these jams, but exhaustive testing of a mechanism as complex as a lever voting machine is very time consuming, and performing such tests on every voting machine prior to every election would be prohibitively expensive.

source


Some WD-40 to the gears maybe? I guess the elbow grease is just too much to ask for these days?

In order to rectify this situation, I suggest they give the job to chronic gamblers so they can get a good fix of the one-armed bandits they love to throw money at waiting for that jingle-jangle of hitting the big one. You know, someone with some good eye-hand coordination.






posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I cast my vote by choosing not to vote. The Republican party needs a wake-up call and hopefully they got the message last night. If they abandon their core conservative principles, conservatives will abandon them. They did not deserve to maintain both houses of Congress and I couldn't bring myself to hold my nose long enough to vote for them.

On the flip side, unless its a very unusual situation, I will not vote for a Democrat in a state or national election. Seeing the mess that will pass for Congressional leadership now reminds me why I feel that way.

Still, I think this will prove to be a good thing for the Republican party, and conservatives in general, if they learn the lesson of this defeat. There's a reason they swept into power in 1994 and they need to get back to those policies.



posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by vor78

On the flip side, unless its a very unusual situation, I will not vote for a Democrat in a state or national election. Seeing the mess that will pass for Congressional leadership now reminds me why I feel that way.

Still, I think this will prove to be a good thing for the Republican party, and conservatives in general, if they learn the lesson of this defeat. There's a reason they swept into power in 1994 and they need to get back to those policies.



Mess? May I remind you Vor, that we now have two ex-auditor generals in the Senate. McCaskell and Casey. Folks who know how to look at SPENDING with a fine tooth comb.

The voters spoke up against corruption, sorry you couldn't. But I understand the stench connected to even voting for them. How IS Burns hanging on the way he is?

Yes, I too hope the Republican party learns that little lesson of this defeat.



posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I am 14 and even i voted.

I filled out my dads ballot since he didn't really know anything on the issues.



posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
I cast my vote by choosing not to vote.


As I stated in the first post on this thread, I have a serious problem with people that want to complain about the political situation, or even discuss it if they can't get off their behinds and exercise their right (and IMO duty) to vote. Talk is easy and cheap. You need to show up when it counts.

All that said, my first question to the democrats and their supporters this morning is; "So, what's your plan?". This is a very important question because except for complaining, we've never heard them propose any alternatives.

I'm really hoping to see their plan, but concerned that all we'll really get are recriminations and investigations. In other words, the U.S. will drift for the next 2 years and nothing will be accomplished.

So, what's your plan?



posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Yesss i voted, and I had the honor, privelage and fortune to cast a vote AGAINST ricky santorum. Ask me how good that felt.


Edit:

I totally agree. It has always been said in my family,

"If you don't vote, you don't get to argue"

It's that simple, if you give up your right to change the equation, you don't get to bitch about it.


[edit on 8-11-2006 by Philadelphite]



posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

As I stated in the first post on this thread, I have a serious problem with people that want to complain about the political situation, or even discuss it if they can't get off their behinds and exercise their right (and IMO duty) to vote. Talk is easy and cheap. You need to show up when it counts.


Okay, I admit it also, I didn't vote. Why you may ask? In my thought a reckless vote is more dangerous than a vote that isn't given. There were many things on the local ballot that I couldn't decide to do, or would have wanted to leave blank. Actually in all honesty all I would have voted on would have been the proposition to raise the minimum wage, and since that would have been the only thing on the ballot, it would have been thrown out.

Remember, that not voting one way or another doesn't mean you don't have the right to have an opinion. Its called abstaning, and its just as much a right as voting itself is!

I'm honestly sick and tired of people saying that its their duty to go vote and not saying that they should sit down and try to decide and look over all the facts before going. Is stem cell reserch (a proposition here) ok? I can't tell. Both sides are equally right, and I don't have enough information to decide. All I heard on the moron canidates were negative ads, never anything that actually meant anything.

Think about it before you spew it next time. Voting is something that should be thought through and can be just as dangerous when uninformed (which is probably what is happening in these 'get out the vote' drives).

Now if you excuse me, I've got class to go to.



posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 01:46 PM
link   
sir solomon:

you've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything. IMHO, what your post above basically said is "i was too lazy to research the issues, so i decided not to vote."



posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sir Solomon
I'm honestly sick and tired of people saying that its their duty to go vote and not saying that they should sit down and try to decide and look over all the facts before going. Is stem cell reserch (a proposition here) ok? I can't tell. Both sides are equally right, and I don't have enough information to decide. All I heard on the moron canidates were negative ads, never anything that actually meant anything.

Think about it before you spew it next time. Voting is something that should be thought through and can be just as dangerous when uninformed (which is probably what is happening in these 'get out the vote' drives).



Thinking about your vote before voting was assumed and implied in what I said.

So, if you are saying that you didn't vote because you didn't have time to think about the candidates and issues, fine, then I agree with you that you shouldn't have voted.

That said, if you haven't thought about the candidates and issues enough to vote, I doubt anyone here is interested in what you have to say about either. Which was my original point.

See, you've trapped yourself in your own lack of logic.


Now, you mentioned something about "thinking before spewing" ...




posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Now, you mentioned something about "thinking before spewing" ...


Alright, listen up. I thought long and hard about voting. I also thought about the effects my vote could have.

Given the choice between Tweedledum and Tweedledee, I'll vote for someone else everytime, because neither one knows what to do right, and rarely used their time to speak of what they wanted to do, they always spent time one berating each other.

I watched a debate between the two, and I'll say that I was embarrassed at just how much mud (keeping it pg) was thrown around.

I also attended a series of debates on both sides of the Stem Cell debate and was left with more questions than when I went in (basically at what point does it become okay to take one life to save others? 10? 50? 100?) and could not with good feeling see which was better. I have friends that suffer from the diseases that could be treated with the treatment, but I also value the gift of life.

On those two points I would have marked abstain (which really needs to be on the darn ballot...especially in 2008). I hate to say it, but France had a good idea on their 2002 ballot when they had that choice on there (20% used the option, according to sources on Wiki on abstention).

Now if you feel that not voting is a crime punishable by revoking the rights guarenteed to us by our Constitution, then get yourself a darn DeLorian and go tell the Founding Fathers and put it in there. Elsewise, you have just as much right to not vote as you do too vote. The duty lies not within voting, but within keeping yourself aware of what is going on, and what it means to your area. If you don't know enough about your area, then it is your duty to learn, if you can't find enough information to satisfy your questions, you should then consider not given your position on it at all.

If one person in Congress (the UN, School council votes, city council meetings, etc. ) can say that they cannot make an informed opinion, and refuse to give their vote to either side, then they are braver than those who would cave in to either side or use other means to decide (flipping a coin, picking a tiger by its toe....so on).

Don't give me none of this 'Shut up if you didn't vote' stuff.
I've reserched, thought, and looked through the materials for months, and I was still not able to find enough evidence that one side or another was right, not more right than the other, just right.



posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sir Solomon
Don't give me none of this 'Shut up if you didn't vote' stuff.
I've reserched, thought, and looked through the materials for months, and I was still not able to find enough evidence that one side or another was right, not more right than the other, just right.


and choosing not to decide between the lesser of two evils simply says "i dont care who runs the country or how it is run." i'm sure that there were quite a few germans who felt the same as you during the 33' elections. their non-chalance allowed for a nazi victory and ultimately ww2. i know that is a dramatic example, but it serves to illustrate the point nicely.

again, if you dont vote, dont waste your time trying to tell me how you think this country should be run. nobody is saying you dont have the right to abstain, but as for me, personally, your opinion on the country at this point means exactly squat. hundreds of thousands of american men and women gave their lives for your right to vote, and thousands more around the world are fighting as we speak for the same right in their countries.



posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Nah, didnt have time. Plus I'm not registered in the county in which I live and couldnt make it back to my home county to vote there. I wish I could have but oh well, I will in 2 years.



posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sir Solomon
Alright, listen up. I thought long and hard about voting. I also thought about the effects my vote could have.

Given the choice between Tweedledum and Tweedledee, I'll vote for someone else everytime, because neither one knows what to do right, and rarely used their time to speak of what they wanted to do, they always spent time one berating each other.


So, what you seem to be saying is that after all the time and effort you say you spent researching and thinking about the issues in this election, you still couldn't find anything on your ballot - national or even local - worth your time and effort to vote on. There are other choices (Independent or Libertarian, for example) that you could have chosen instead of "Tweedledum and Tweedledee".

Still sounds like a cop out to me.



posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludaChris
Nah, didnt have time. Plus I'm not registered in the county in which I live and couldnt make it back to my home county to vote there.

You should've applied for an absentee ballot. They'd mail it to you, you could fill it out and mail it back at your leisure.


Don't give me none of this 'Shut up if you didn't vote' stuff. I've reserched, thought, and looked through the materials for months, and I was still not able to find enough evidence that one side or another was right, not more right than the other, just right.

But the point is, if you're not involved, then you can't really complain one way or the other when things are screwed up. No one is saying that people that don't vote are going to be forbiden from discussing anything, but if a person has an opinion, well, it must not be one they value much if they won't vote to support it.
As far as not having a good choice, there's not allways going to be a 'super great candidate', we're given choices, and we should choose between them, not distance ourselves from the process. Its because so many people don't get involved that we are left with poor candidates after the primaries. Even if you vote for a person that doesn't win, or a third party candidate, the majority takes notice that there are votes out there that they can work to get.
If a person isn't voting, then the people that are being voted on certainly aren't ever going to pay attention to them.

[edit on 8-11-2006 by Nygdan]



posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by vor78
I cast my vote by choosing not to vote.


As I stated in the first post on this thread, I have a serious problem with people that want to complain about the political situation, or even discuss it if they can't get off their behinds and exercise their right (and IMO duty) to vote. Talk is easy and cheap. You need to show up when it counts.

All that said, my first question to the democrats and their supporters this morning is; "So, what's your plan?". This is a very important question because except for complaining, we've never heard them propose any alternatives.

I'm really hoping to see their plan, but concerned that all we'll really get are recriminations and investigations. In other words, the U.S. will drift for the next 2 years and nothing will be accomplished.

So, what's your plan?


I'm not complaining about it. You asked the question and you got an answer you didn't like. That's not my problem. I have my own reasons for choosing to abstain from this midterm election. I don't need you or anyone else to validate those reasons.



posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Alright. I'm in a mental battle here. I open this up for sincere, logical discussion.
Let me see if I can lay it out before being pounced on for not voting.

Side A) 'Blessed are the destitute' -- those who have no part in the system cannot be complicit in its evils. Since I consider myself outside of the political system, and (up until recent ponderings of Confucius) outside of society in general, how can I be complicit in its evils?

Side B) I am automatically a part of the evil of this country because I happen to live here.. through no part of my own, I am held responsible.

As I said on the op/ed thread, that which I wish to help change has nothing to do with the political system or the government. It has everything to do with society and its values. Don't suppose there was a box to check about making sure that everyone on the planet has the basic necessities? (I know that we, humanity, have the ability to do this.. the fact that it's not profitable keeps it from being done.) Or how about teaching people the value of respectful and civil social interaction? (That, alone, would save lots of headaches in the day-to-day living of everyone.)

I *do not* consider myself a part of the political system, and I never have. I was born and raised here, and for all the history classes I've sat in, I still do not see my individual opinion mattering in the face of corporations (who pretty much run the country).
I *do* see a problem with picking, as South Park put it, between a douche and a turd. (And simply because there have always been Douches and Turds to pick from, doesn't make the choice any better.)
I *do* have a problem with the politicians because, for the most part, they are cogs in corporate machines.
I *do not* see the politicians and the government as having the good of the people in mind -- which, I was taught, is their sole purpose in being allowed to hold government positions!


So, is it better to kow tow and push myself to join in that which I do not agree with?


I hear the opinion that many have expressed in this thread and the op/ed thread -- if I choose not to vote, then I have no right to complain. My grandparents have engrained that into me from little on. Yet, they gave no actual reasons why other than that sentence. That sentence along does not suffice as a reason.

Is it not a complaint against the system, in and of itself, to consciously choose not vote? (If there was an 'abstain' box to check, I would actually go out just to check that box.)


Originally posted by Nygdan
But the point is, if you're not involved, then you can't really complain one way or the other when things are screwed up. No one is saying that people that don't vote are going to be forbiden from discussing anything, but if a person has an opinion, well, it must not be one they value much if they won't vote to support it.


I saw that (bolded statement) and had to say touche. (I actually said it outloud when I read it.) That is the *only* logical reason that I've heard yet as far as why one should vote.
Thank you Nygdan.


But, what if my opinion was not an option on the ballot? Why should I vote if the changes I wish to enact and have happen have absolutely nothing to do with politics and the government?

(offer me logical reasons, and I will listen. offer me nationalistic sentiments, and I shall turn away.) ((throughout history, many people killed many other people in the name of God, national pride, money, land... practically anything.. so to cite that 'people died to give you that right' does not count as a logical reason.))



As far as not having a good choice, there's not allways going to be a 'super great candidate', we're given choices, and we should choose between them, not distance ourselves from the process. Its because so many people don't get involved that we are left with poor candidates after the primaries.


I don't see that as being true. In fact, I see it as being a function of the 'Douche and Turd Property' (
) I think the candidates would still be poor choices no matter how many people voted. If every single person in the country eligible to vote actually voted, that would suddenly (magically) make the candidates better? How do you figure that?
(It might change if money were taken completely out of the campaign equation.. but, I know, *sigh* that's too idealistic.)


Even if you vote for a person that doesn't win, or a third party candidate, the majority takes notice that there are votes out there that they can work to get.


One of the reasons I stopped watching tv and listening to the radio altogether was because of the bs mud-slinging campaign ads (crappy programs and music aside). I remember the same crap in high skool with the student body president, prom king & queen, as well as all the 'most changed since freshman year' stuff for the yearbook. I don't care for popularity contests.

Besides that, them working harder to get other people's votes just means more crappy ads!



If a person isn't voting, then the people that are being voted on certainly aren't ever going to pay attention to them.


I'd think that it would actually push the candidates to try and reach the people who are not voting, since that is a 'market' that has not been tapped...
Or is it because they do not know how to push non-voters' buttons, so they (and their campaign managers) have no idea of what to say to them/us?



new topics

top topics



 
0
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join