It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

57 Iraqi police charged with torture

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Associated Press

The Interior Ministry said Tuesday that it had brought the first-ever charges of torture against members of the Iraqi police, who are accused of close ties to the Shiite death squads whose daily abductions and killings fuel the sectarian violence convulsing the country.

Authorities reported finding the bodies of a dozen apparent death squad victims floating in the Tigris River south of Baghdad.

Shiite death squads are generally thought to be behind such killings, hundreds of which have been recorded in Baghdad alone since the bombing of a major Shiite shrine in February ignited the explosion of sectarian revenge killings.

Torture is considered widespread among the poorly trained police force, which has suffered heavy losses at the hands of Sunni insurgents, Shiite militiamen and criminal gangs.

Such concerns were underscored by the discovery of a police torture chamber in Baghdad last year, and by the apparent complicity of police in a mass kidnapping of Sunni workers that prompted authorities to take an entire police brigade out of service for retraining.

One more proof, showing us that Iraq is sliding down the spiral of Violence.

And the next time we hear the news, there were 100 bodies found, dumped somewhere - there is a big possiblity, that they were killed by Police Death Squads.

So, do you think they act on their own, or are they trained?

Well...

Related ATS Threads:
Iraq: Death Squads And Diplomacy
UN raises alarm on death squads and torture in Iraq
CIA-Trained Iraqi Death Squads Interrogated U.S. Detainees

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 08:15 AM
link   
You have voted Souljah for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

For your investigative skills.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
collaborators will be executed.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Yes I saw the news on CNN not much coverage but the truth is that the reports has been out there for quite a while about the problems with the police and military.

They can not stop the revenges taken every time one of their own is been killed.

After all the majority of the forces are Shiites.

But when it comes to torture US is not the best model to these people after the scandals of Abu Ghraib and the secret detention camps.

I guess our nation's littler endeavor in Iraq will be seen for generations to come as the worst failure of the pushing of democracy and freedom.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

And the next time we hear the news, there were 100 bodies found, dumped somewhere - there is a big possiblity, that they were killed by Police Death Squads.

So, do you think they act on their own, or are they trained?

Well...

Yeah and massive amounts of sand were discovered in central Iraq, experts believe that US troops put it there.

Can we just have the topics without the propaganda? Just ONCE?

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 08:46 AM
link   
New York Times…
Ministry of Interior to Purge Agency…
1.travel2.nytimes.com... lx=1162909039-DUH27OmH8m+8tqaeKCt6rw

Mr. Bolani said that he had fired more than 3,000 employees since he took over, some for corruption and human rights violations, and that he referred 300 to 600 of those cases to the Iraqi court system.

2. www.voanews.com...
3. www.globalsecurity.org...

And that’s just the ministry of Interior. The whole government is riddled with fanatics many of these were actually democratically elected. This is the biggest problem; Iraq is going to look like Iran next election because the fanatics have actually had time to get their act together, and seem willing to take part. Furthermore because you need a militia-terrorist organisation behind you just to stand without almost certainly dying before you reach the election platform; fanatics are pretty much the only choice. And if that wasn’t enough, all the indicators (fear and hatred) and firmly in the fanatics favour like never before.
The truth is that ever since we removed Saddam the number of fanatics in Iraq has skyrocketed, and that this is because (as the Sectarian killing daily demonstrates) extremism breeds extremism.

Positive…
However at least they’ve actually arrested somebody. I'm sure (like some people after Katrina) they were shocked to realise there is actually law in Iraq. However they were wrong; and may they be treated like s*** for their torturous crimes.
Fact is we would need mass graves to bring all the religious-sectarian nutcases responsible for it to justice.

[edit on 090705 by Liberal1984]

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Well don't be hasty Intrepid, it maybe a conspiracy here . . . after all the problematic Sunnis and Saddam party are The ones been found death in majority an killed by the police squats.

Even when Shiites has their own militia giving problems to the US and coalition.

US will never come forward and say kill your fellow Iraqis but it will say defend yourself from the insurgency.

That may happen to be of the other sect.

I always felt that US has been training all these people and they are turning around and using the weapons given and training to fight their own and kill soldiers also.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Can we just have the topics without the propaganda? Just ONCE?

Propaganda?

Perhapy for You, living in Northern America this is considered Propaganda - here in Europe, I guess everybody knows that already.

Actually this kind of news is just "Scratching the Surface".

The Real Truth is far, FAR more Sinister and Scary...
Not that I know it...

[edit on 7/11/06 by Souljah]

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   
You have voted Souljah for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

yeah, you've deserved my vote for a while

anyway, yeah, this is just going to show you the "training" we're giving them isn't much more than basics

and we are giving them nothing in the way of morality training

if we're going to change a country around, at least give them the same code of conduct
which reminds me, isn't hanging illegal in 49 states?

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I agree the police officers were probably trained by covert Iranian funded militias on death squad tatics. The USA just pays the salary, that is so nice for Iran. So the next time a shaped charged goes off with Iranian made parts. Iranian murders will continue in Iraq markets.

I can't back up my accusation and you can't back up yours. Just giving another view.

[edit on 8-11-2006 by sbob]

new topics

top topics

join