It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Army wants to court-martial rape victim

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 12:24 AM
link   
It appears this patriotic young woman volunteered for the Army under the belief that she would not be placed in Iraq, however she WAS sent to Iraq, where it turns out that her superiors evidently caused more harm to her then the enemy did.
I will let the article tell you the rest of the story.

Democracy Now

What are we to make of this? Is this the new army where accountability and honor are unheard of?

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I glanced over the article but I didn't see anything about the soldier being raped. It said she was Sexually Harassed, which is bad enough but I didn't read that she was raped.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I rspect her for being in the army, and no offence, but what exactly did she expect? she is in a battlefield with a bunch of sex starved soldiers. I know this isnt an excuse, but come on. These men are dodging bullets and worried about not getting shot or blown up and at the end of the day, what comfort do they have?

Granted, these men should have more self dicipline but they are human. Natural urges are going to build.

I also did not see where she was raped.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Is your headline intentionally misleading? There is nothing in the article about her being a rape victim at all. Futhermore, the complaints of sexual harassment she has made are nothing more than allegations at this point and the timing of them is very supicious coming on the heels of her pending court martial. I don't want to pre-judge anyone here, neither her nor anyone else, but the whole article seems very biased to me.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 03:31 AM
link   
The article says she was molested, that's the same thing as rape:

"Right now I want Suzanne to have an honorable discharge because she has post-traumatic stress from being treated so horribly in a war zone by the people that were supposed to be caring for her and in charge of her very life were molesting and harassing her".

There was also another section which stated that one guy had access to her all the time and would show up drunk wanting to have sex with her. If she said no she was punished. This would also indicate to me that probably she had to consent at times to sex, but it's forced sex and that's rape.

Not only that, but there are many ways to rape a woman and verbal abuse and sexual harassment are forms of rape.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
I rspect her for being in the army, and no offence, but what exactly did she expect? she is in a battlefield with a bunch of sex starved soldiers. I know this isnt an excuse, but come on. These men are dodging bullets and worried about not getting shot or blown up and at the end of the day, what comfort do they have?

Granted, these men should have more self dicipline but they are human. Natural urges are going to build.

I also did not see where she was raped.

What comfort do they have? Are you serious? So it's natural to comfort yourself by sexually harassing, intimidating and raping a fellow soldier? I don't f***ing think so. This is also an insult to young men to say that it's natural and they can't control themselves. What are they animals? Why should this woman be a punching bag? and why should that be considered "normal"? The Army isn't doing its job properly, they need to crack down on this, I've read way too many stories just like this one. It's happening to the majority of women in the Army. At the very least they have treated this young woman with complete disrespect, humiliation and abuse. That kind of thing is something you never get over and it very much undermines your self-confidence and self-respect.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer70
Is your headline intentionally misleading? There is nothing in the article about her being a rape victim at all. Futhermore, the complaints of sexual harassment she has made are nothing more than allegations at this point and the timing of them is very supicious coming on the heels of her pending court martial. I don't want to pre-judge anyone here, neither her nor anyone else, but the whole article seems very biased to me.

This kind of attitude is exactly what keeps women from reporting rape, because they won't be believed. Unfortunately, there have been way too many instances of sexual harassment and rape in the Army in this war, and this is typical of how the Army handles it. If this was your daughter, mother or sister, would you still have the same attitude?

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 07:14 AM
link   

I rspect her for being in the army, and no offence, but what exactly did she expect?

Here again we have an exact case of what I was accused of on another thread.
You just blamed the victim. She DIDNT expect to be abused.
What exactly did she expect? She expected to be able to serve her country without being coerced into sexual relationships with her superiors.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 07:18 AM
link   

AMY GOODMAN: It's good to have you with us. Can you tell us exactly what happened to Sarah? What happened when she went to Iraq, and what happened when she came home?

SARA RICH: I’ll tell you what happened to Suzanne. When Suzanne was 19, she was recruited into the Army....

Lol! Owned!

On Topic - This isn't rape. Misleading title dude.

Sexual harassment isn't rape but it's still pretty poor. Regardless of the fact she was sexually assaulted, that doesn't give her freedom to go AWOL and dodge deployment.

If she had a problem with being redeployed due to this there are other ways to dealing with it than going AWOL.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by doctorfungi
Sexual harassment isn't rape but it's still pretty poor. Regardless of the fact she was sexually assaulted, that doesn't give her freedom to go AWOL and dodge deployment.

Exactly. There are channels to go through in the military when a female has been sexually intimidated. She doesn't have the right to refuse deployment to Iraq based upon her allegations.

And yes, the Army takes those types of allegations seriously. When I was in the Army I made a complaint of improper sexual behavior of a NCOIC (above me in my chain of command) and it was SWIFTLY taken care of!

BTW .. if she thought she could go in the service and escape an active theatre .. she's either naive or not that bright (or trying to get away with something - like faking a sexual harrassment in order to not have to deploy).

Originally posted by 11Bravo
Democracy Now

THIS is the main page for your source. www.democracynow.org...
It leans very much to the left. They even have an interview with the Anti-American leader of Bolivia. I now question the alleged facts in this article.

[edit on 11/7/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 08:57 AM
link   

And because she was out there dodging bullets and worrying about not getting shot or blown up then she needs to "get over it" and let the verbal harrassment and other things go?

It's okay if a guy does it? Women are supposed to love being pinched and fondled and having lewd remarks made to them (and pressured into sex) by every loser guy around?

Oh yeah. So charming.

So you're arguing that having sex with every woman around is a man's "god-given right"? And it's okay for men to harrass and intimidate women that they work with because it's just "natural urges"?

Excuse me?

Dear friend, I don't know what kind of men you hang around with, but there are a number of places where we teach our sons better manners than that.

Let's put the shoe on the other foot, here... let's suppose that YOU went to Iraq as a young soldier and you got the same kind of treatment from your fellow MALE soldiers that she was getting from male soldiers. Is that kind of treatment "wrong when it's done to a man and right when it's done to a woman" or is it wrong no matter WHAT gender?

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   
OK I agree that sexual misconduct is a nono. But could it be that she is using the allegations of harassment to get out of Iraq/

I wonder, perhaps is evidence that she may have planned the whole thing.

This should be one to wait and see.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Again, it says she was molested. That means she was fondled, groped, etc. at the very least. The Army has a HUGE problem with this, as reported by CNN:

www.cnn.com...

Google "Army + rape" and you will get story after story of women in the Army who have been raped. Even Army recruiters on high school campuses have been reported to have forced themselves on the girls.

It's interesting to note that many on this thread dismiss the story out of hand, without bothering to check into it further. I think that says more about those people than the woman pressing charges. BTW, there were also MANY people that were told they wouldn't be going to Iraq, so they signed up. They're 18 y.o., of course they believe what the Army tells them. It wasn't so much that she was naive, as that she was 18, without life experience to know better than to trust the Army. How can you be so sure she's not tellilng the truth? Do you now understand better that she had valid reason to think no one would believe her and that's why she put up with it? After all, alot of people here don't believe the story and are pretty cynical about it.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   
forestlady

If the case is that she was molested, rape, sexually harass well the guilty should be brought to justice.

But the way the link refer to her story it seems to me in my opinion that is more than just a case of sexual misconduct.

I think she is avoiding active duty in Iraq.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Here is a thread discussing the fact that Army recruiters outright lied to the kids and told them they wouldn't be going to Iraq. They were caught in the act.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Like I said, it's happened alot that recruiters lie to the kids about not going to Iraq.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Marge, 2 questions:

- What in the story makes you think she was trying to get out of service?

- Why would she go through the humiliation and ridicule by having her mom interviewed, and going public about this, unless it was true?

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I was a military wife for 22 years.

One of the worst things a soldier can do is going AWOL and that is what she did, and then after she was arrested as by the story then she claimed. . .

Swift served in Iraq for a year but decided she could not return and went AWOL. Not only did she feel the war lacked purpose, Swift said her superiors repeatedly sexually harassed her while serving in Iraq.

Her defense will be that she could not go because she was lied to, "something that when she signed her military contract she should have read better" and that she feels that the war lacked purpose that is a personal opinion.

Then she claimed that she was sexually harassed, now after the first and second statement that in a court Martial will be shred to pieces with not evidence.

The young lady will be found guilty of AWOL.

Sad but true, at least she will get her wish and will not be back to active duty in Iraq.

[edit on 7-11-2006 by marg6043]

[edit on 7-11-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by 11Bravo

I rspect her for being in the army, and no offence, but what exactly did she expect?

Here again we have an exact case of what I was accused of on another thread.
You just blamed the victim. She DIDNT expect to be abused.
What exactly did she expect? She expected to be able to serve her country without being coerced into sexual relationships with her superiors.

There certainly is no excuse for the actions taken against her.. anyone who is abused like that deserves to be treated with respect instead of the 'what did you expect' kind of treatment... but...

Honestly I cannot help but to blame 2 groups for this.

1. Recruiters, the Army loves numbers and taking in women is a good way to fill jobs that they can spare other men for.

2. Femenist.. because they for some reason felt women deserve the glory and honor of war.. when in reality war is so far from it.. it is a ghastly night mare and is no place for a women.

They have done studies.. significant studies.. where women in the battle field or any military action accompanied with men is a horrible combination. The men tend to feel a polar opposite of two ways, they either sacrifice the job at hand and their surounding brothers to defend the women, who may not even need defending but get the defense anyways because men tend to feel it is an obligation that they sacrifice themselves for the women. The other extreme is anger and violence against having a women within their ranks, and this poor women felt the response from that. Either way in combat women should not be there beside men, in my opinion anyways.. office work and such sure, serve your nation that way.. but why the desire to be in the field with the men?

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
- What in the story makes you think she was trying to get out of service?

You didn't ask me .. but I'm going to comment anyways.

I am a female. I was in the Army. I was a teenager when I went in. I had an NCOIC make improper sexual behaviors towards me. He was in my chain of command. I also had an officer make improper sexual comments to me while I was in his office. (he was an eye doctor and made comments about my breasts).

I followed proper procedure and made complaints on both of them. Justice was SWIFT. Oh ... and the officer was dating the daughter of the post's Commanding General at the time I made the complaint. He still got nailed. (as he should have).

All women who go into the Army are taught who to contact in these situations. There are MANY, MANY avenues to find help and justice. For example .. a chaplain is one such avenue. Every woman knows that she can go through the chaplain and that the chaplain can even have a person temporarily reassigned if there is sufficient cause. (rape very well could be sufficient cause. Molestation could be as well.)

It is very much possible (probable) that the woman is trying to get out of active duty in a hazardous environment because of the alleged molestation. Just because a molestation MAY have occurred is NOT reason enough for her to have an excuse to go AWOL. She should have used the proper military channels like the rest of us did.

I have seen, and heard of, MANY people using MANY different excuses to get out of duty during a war. To think she could be using this to get out of war duty is not a stretch of the imagination at all.

BTW - she stated her first reason for breaking the law and going AWOL as this -

Not only did she feel the war lacked purpose ....

The alleged harrassment was secondary to that.

I smell a skunk.

[edit on 11/7/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   
This sounds like something out of Saudi Arabia! What happened to the good ole days of rampant prostitution in the far East? Our boys need an outlet for the pent up energy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join