It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Borat ruins lives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 12:06 AM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

The woman who booked him in that live scene, where he goes live on television, got fired.

Because of him, my boss lost faith in my abilities and second-guessed everything I did thereafter.... I spiraled into depression, and before I could recover, I was released from my contract early. It took me three months to find another job, and now I'm thousands of dollars in debt and struggling to keep my house out of foreclosure.... How upsetting that a man who leaves so much harm in his path is lauded as a comedic genius.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Every person signed a release so that they could get their ugly mug onto a show, and they were all paid for their appearance. Borat gave them exactly what they wanted, he showed up with cameras and a crew, made a big deal out of it, but then he twisted it back in their faces.

Most of the folks contacted by NEWSWEEK admit they barely read the release. Even if they did, they might not have grasped the legalese about waiving claims for "breach[es] of alleged moral behavior" and "fraud (such as any alleged deception or surprise about the Film)"
www.msnbc.msn.com...

He only fed off the stupidity that already existed in the people he fooled and that's the sort of thing that the public loves to see. It's kind of a sad commentary on the gullibility of some people, but it's even sadder that this movie will be such a hit at the box office.
Those ticket sales will say a lot more about the American people than the few fools that were duped.

Now in true American fashion everyone can hire some lawyers and make them rich by litigating over this for the next few years.

You reap what you sow..........

[edit on 7/11/2006 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I don't mean to come off as mean to you, but let me break down what exactly happened here. Criswell Chevrolet was the dealership shown in the movie Borat. Without lawsuits labelling "libel", those in the car industry know Mr. Criswell and his people to be the epitome of aggressive (without crossing the line into a libel lawsuit... I leave it at "aggressive"). The publicity from the movie on the East Coast alone was massive. MEGAstars like Puff Daddy buy cars from Criswell. Their lot sells tons of high-end sports cars and they literally have like a hundred Hummers. That salesman quoted in that article might have been unaware and "unhappy about it" but you can guarantee Mr. Criswell is laughing all the way to the bank. Most of the humor in Borat was set up as an owner of Borat to management of said organization or group. Money is involved here, and unfortunately the people low on the pole don't see it.

new topics

join