It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Research Underway for Silent Aircrafts.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Engineers are currently researching new shapes and designs of commercial planes to reduce sound pollution that is created during the takeoff and landing sequences. Also, due to the nature of the shape propsed, it wil be more fuel efficient during flight.

British team of researchers from academia and the aerospace industry believes the passenger aircraft of the distant future will not only be fuel efficient, but virtually silent.

edition.cnn.com...

While I think this is a good idea, I doubt that the noise pollution tax will be cut from the ticket price.

EDIT: Whoops...

[edit on 6-11-2006 by Gear]

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Hmm...

It's a blended wing-body design. Come to think of it, the B-2 is pritty quiet and it's an all wing aircraft. maybe better aerodynamics is the key to quieter aircraft.

Tim

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 05:54 AM
link   
The B-2 is qiuet? no way dude - you ever heard that thing take off and land? sounds like a commercial jet liner rather than a bilion dollar stealth plane...

I don't know where this silent B-2 rumour started, but theres enough video evidence on the web alone to show you that it is far far from a silent aircraft.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by D4rk Kn1ght
The B-2 is qiuet? no way dude - you ever heard that thing take off and land? sounds like a commercial jet liner rather than a bilion dollar stealth plane...

I'm talking about in-flight! I've seen it once but I didn't hear it until it was directly overhead.

Tim

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Is this not a repeat of the thread posted by deltaboy on the subject of silent aircraft ?

Silent Aircraft Initiative www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 7-11-2006 by bmdefiant]

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 12:49 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

this is in no way a silent aircraft - no more than an airbus is.

At high alt, of course your not going to hear it - just like you won't here an airbus...

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost01
It's a blended wing-body design. Come to think of it, the B-2 is pritty quiet and it's an all wing aircraft. maybe better aerodynamics is the key to quieter aircraft.

No offence or anything, but I think that the experts worrking on the project know what they are doing.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gear

Originally posted by Ghost01

No offence or anything, but I think that the experts worrking on the project know what they are doing.

He is right, it defintely is a factor - indeed, airframe noise is every bit as important on approach and landing as any engine noise source.

The main aerodynamic noise comes from the flaps, so a better flap design which induces a better spanwise loading distribution will definitely lower noise. Another large source is the undercarriage, use of fairings helps to reduce the noise considerably, but its still going to be an issue if a truely silent aircraft [outside the airport boundaries] is to be achieved.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Quiet flight is the way to go, cool links, thanks.

Regarding the B2 or any other military aircraft for that matter, the B2 is loud on takeoff and landing because of throttle needs and position, same as any fighter/bomber. The F 15 is very loud, when the throttles are in the forward position. Throttle position contributes very much to the noise level. I have been there on a great many training exercises where an F 18 has come by on a bombing run, and pulling the throttles back, he is very difficult to hear at all. It is creepy actually, to see this happen. You can hear almost nothing at all. I am sure when the B2 is in flight, and with accurate throttle control, it would be very difficult to hear.
Peace, Mondo

top topics

join