It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Is The Vatican Asking for a Reprieve Of Saddam Hussein?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
C'mon. Do you really expect the Vatican to make an exception? They cannot pick and choose their beliefs to suit the situation. But it will not matter, because they do not have a lot of power in this situation anyway.

[edit on 7-11-2006 by chozoninja]

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Chozoninja, you are correct. The Vatican is not nearly as powerful as it was,say, 300 years ago. It's not even as powerful as it was 50 years ago,but...that is beside the point.

When it comes to political issues,such as the Saddam trial, I just do not see any way that spiritual issues can come into play. You are dealing with a man who,by all reports, is closer to being an atheist than anything else. He certainly is not Muslim.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I am not disagreeing with you, Speaker of Truth, but then why was Saddam crying "God is Great!" during the verdict?

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Saddam is notorious for his playing to the crowd. Oh, don't think he doesn't use Islam to his benefit,he does. He'll put on a show now and again...but he's not a believer in much other than himself.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 01:25 AM
link   
OK.

Sadam has been found guilty for killing less than 200 people.

Haliburton lobbiests and America have killed hundreds of thousands including being responsible for well over 2,000 american deaths for having sent them there.
Why did they send them there? Weapons of mass destruction have not been found. So, americans' justification is a moot point.

now america is celebrating the fact that a man has been sentenced to death for being convicted of killing less than 200 people, right?

Who is going to hang in america for the deaths of hundreds of thousands who's blood is on the american government's hands, and the lobbiest that bought america out awhile back????

[edit on 9-11-2006 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Esoteric,there are estimates that Saddam has killed upwards toward 3 million people. Where do you get less than 200 people?
Did you read the link I posted about Saddam and his infatuation with Stalin? That article conservatively estimates Saddam having killed 1 million.

[edit on 9-11-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

[edit on 9-11-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I have studied the nature of evil people to a great extent - wondering, initially, what made some people seemingly naturally kind hearted and others just out to hurt everyone they came in contact with.

I learned A LOT.

What I believe evil is: a black hole
where love would be: the sun

And when a soul starts out in a black and vacuum-like situation - there is not much hope except for a miracle worker who loves to love at any expense. There is also the miracle of being allowed artistic expression of any sort (art, music, writing) - this, too, can transform a soul because the art acts as a purging mechanism at first and then develops into a personal experience of true beauty. It will heal. It has healed many people that we regard as artistic geniuses (or even just popular at the time) - I could name several but I won't unless asked.

Anyway - a child only knows what it knows by what is shown and taught by the words applied. Love to most is truly love - but to some kids - who are raised by those who are ill in the soul, themselves - love is not love but something else - usually need and even hate and black anger. Usually, the soul grows up with the backwards ideals implanted from a dsyfunctional childhood devoid of true nurturing and because of the resultant character they develop, there is little chance other souls are willing to get near enough to turn the tides. It really takes very little, but man's fear keeps him distant from those he fears.

In the case of Saddam, when he was in his mother's womb, his father was killed in some war - and in her grief she tried to commit suicide - not even wanting to live for the remnant of her husband's memory growing inside her. Her attempt failed - I do not know what became of her. I won't speculate. Anyway, the father figure that took the vacancy in Saddam's life was an uncle (which side, I know not) and that uncle had Saddam gun a man down when Saddam was only 10 years old.

Who knows what lessons were taught with words and what actions reinforced these words. I daresay they weren't the healthy nurturing sort that many of us enjoyed without restriction.

Saddam is a victim of the human race - just as the human race became a victim of Saddam's. He killed here and there - and there was something within him which was not satisified - he did not feel whatever it was he expected to feel - so the killings increased and increased - but never satisfied his empty spot inside - and now it has stopped because he was apprehended.

Love is like a pile - but evil is the absence of love and it is like a pit. And the deeper the pit grows, the more desparately a person tries to fill it - but alas, the only means they know to fill it is the exact method for digging deeper.

Call Saddam sadly unfortunate - call yourself blessed beyond belief. These things are true and not judgments. But do not condemn another man when that man could have been you - you can't say there is no chance of that - none of us can - we just do not know. We must have compassion on one another and not have fear to approach those who deal with gaping spiritual wounds in their soul. All it takes it is a small bit of compassion, acceptance, and love - and that is the mustard seed.

We can prevent further despots and we can even heal this soul. He is our brother - whether we want to admit it or not - God created him as He did us and I guarantee God loves Saddam just as much as He loves you and I.

EMPATHY.

Put yourselves in the shoes of another and look through their eyes. Get the facts and take a field trip in your heart. It cannot hurt - but it will definitely help us ALL.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   

But do not condemn another man when that man could have been you - you can't say there is no chance of that - none of us can - we just do not know. We must have compassion on one another and not have fear to approach those who deal with gaping spiritual wounds in their soul. All it takes it is a small bit of compassion, acceptance, and love - and that is the mustard seed.

I don't think anyone is born necessarily "evil." Like you,Annie, I also think that there are things that happen in people's lives that cause them to be the way that they are.

What I have always found interesting though, is how some relate to life experiences differently. For example, one young boy can be beaten and molested his entire childhood and grow up to be a good,productive,caring individual. Another boy grows up being beaten and molested in his childhood, and he grows up to be a murderous,hateful,vengeful individual. Why the disparity in reactions?

To me, the bottom line is that regardless of what has personally happened to us in our lives, to take our vengence out on society or another person is wrong. The act of doing such is, at least in my opinion, "evil" in itself. Why should I hate everyone for something,say, my great uncle did to me when I was 10 years old? That to me is the epitome of "evil" itself.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Is this a man worthy of taking another breath? I mean really?

According to jesus and god, you must not kill him. Heck, you're not even supposed to be judging him. The RCC has relatively recently turned pacifist, it was against the iraq war and its against the death penalty.

Not only that,is Islam still based on the whole "tooth for a tooth.Eye for an eye" doctrine?

"Eye for an eye" is from the bible.
"Eye for an eye" means "do not let the punishment be excessive, if a man knocks out your eye, you don't get to kill him, if he steals from you, you don't get to cut off his hand" etc. Why do you think that islam is 'based' on exodus? Is it in the koran??

Should it surprise us that they are vindictive.

"They"? All muslims are vindictive now? The secyular court that is trying hussein represents all muslims? Why is it 'vindictive' to execute a mass murderer?

sun matrix
All part of the coming one world religion.

So, because the pope is following the teachings of jesus, its the coming of an evil one world religion. Interesting.

PuRe EnErGy
The people that are accusing him... have they not commited the same types of acts?

The people of iraq? THey are the ones trying him, he is being executed for gassing villages and using genocide to prop up his dictatorial totalitarian regime.

I would forgive him... providing he understood why I was forgiving him.

So in other words, you wouldn't forgive him. He'd recognize your forgiveness as a sign of weakness, and when you forgave him or released him, he'd come back to repreat his previous horrors.

iori_komei
If he's given the death sentence, after he gave his little speech, he may becom a Martyr for those who follow Extremeist Islam.

Who says he even gets to make a speech? And the muslim radicals in iraq are mostly the shia, they hate him, they're the ones that were dancing in the streets when they heard he was going to die. He's not going to become a martyr for the religious extremists. At most, he'll be seen as a hero for the baathists, but anyone not already invovled in the insurgency isn't going to join out of loyalty to hussein.

Better to have him live the rest of his days in a jail cell.

If we leave him alive, and leave iraq, there's a damned good chance that he'll bring himself back to power again. Don't let the humiliation of having his teeth checked with a penlight trick anyone into thinking that this guy isn't powerful and dangerous. THis is precisely what he's been waiting for. He 'stood up' to the US in the lead up to the war, knowing, from gulf 1, that it'd be a disaster, he quickly went into hiding, he's hoping that he's alive when the americans leave because we can't tolerate nasty fighting, its what his entire strategy was based on, the americans will fight, get tired, leave, and then he'll re-take control. This is a guy that used poison gas to suppress a populace that he was already occupying, he'll go a helluva lot more to re-conquer it.

thepieman
We are supposed to follow the Commandments , not the code of Hammurabi.

Lets stick to sensible civil legislation, not the irrational commands of prehistoric goat herders.

If your whole family was wiped out by this man, save yourself, could you ever forgive this man? Answer honestly,please.

Me? Hell no. But pretty clearly, jesus insists that people do so. Heck jesus insisted that people not even struggle against guys like hussein. That is what is prompting the RCC to say 'don't execute him'.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   

"Eye for an eye" is from the bible.
"Eye for an eye" means "do not let the punishment be excessive, if a man knocks out your eye, you don't get to kill him, if he steals from you, you don't get to cut off his hand" etc. Why do you think that islam is 'based' on exodus? Is it in the koran??

No,but Islam does seem,at least to me, be based on principles associated with the Old Testament. It's a very rigid,cold religion,in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
I kind of figured I'd be outnumbered on this one.

Let me ask you all something. If your whole family was wiped out by this man, save yourself, could you ever forgive this man? Answer honestly,please.

Has everyone actually thought about answering this question HONESTLY? NO, i dont think so, people who say they would forgive him are just saying it because the bible says so, or just to make themselves sweet lambs in our eyes. i tell them this, if it were to happen RIGHT NOW, they wouldnt even agree with me that the word FORGIVENESS exists in the English vocabulary.

Take time to think about it, just go stand in front of your dad or mom, look them straight in the eye and think about how life would be like if he was taken away from you, in about... emmmmm... right NOW seconds by some sarin or VX nerve gas. Have any idea how nerve gas works? it makes being shot in the head with a tank NOTHING? "unless you REALLY hate your family"

Google it, and come back here and tell us if you would Really forgive the guy.

[edit on 1-2-2007 by dee-tod]

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join