It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silent Aircraft Initiative.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

BOSTON - A U.S.-British team of researchers from academia and the aerospace industry believes the passenger aircraft of the distant future will not only be fuel efficient, but virtually silent.

Leaders of a long-range research venture called the "Silent Aircraft Initiative" were scheduled Monday to release a conceptual design for a plane they say could cut through the air with practically no sound bothering those below, thanks to its unique shape and design features to limit engine noise.

The design adds a new twist to aviation's long history of mixed success developing flying wings designed to be more fuel- and space-efficient than conventional aircraft with long, narrow fuselages.

The design, to be announced in a news conference at the Royal Aeronautical Society in London, would blend fuselage and wings together so that the entire airframe provides lift — an approach that to date has been confined largely to payload-carrying military aircraft such as long-range bombers.

The body shape of the "silent aircraft" would allow for a slower landing approach and takeoff to cut airport noise — a form of environmental pollution that makes it politically unpopular to expand airports and flight schedules.

Does the picture in the article remind you of an aircraft that most ATS members have discussed for the past couple of weeks oh lets say the X-48B? Reminds me of combining a boomerang design with the front part of the conventional passenger plane.

Which concept is better? The X48B? or this one?

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Personally I think that the BWB will likely be a better design. It's basically just a big frickin' wing and on landing likely won't need a whole lot of thrust to get the lift it needs. I imagine, however, that opposed to the current tubeliners we have now that the cruise speed of the BWB would be somewhat slower compared to the design proposed in the article. I'm hoping to see more from the BWB, though, as it looks like a really good program and will probably help efficiency by a lot.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 02:59 AM
link   
They've been imagining this for years.

Its miles away.

I've done basic trade-off studies of various configurations a few years back.

The basic cylinder with 2 wings won easily. The flying wing/BWB had the best aerodynamic performance, but with massive structural implications. The conclusions came out at the cost of R&D makes it prohibitively expensive for questionable return.

If Airbus/Boeing/ANOther do make a BWB for passengers, it will be a byproduct of military research as neither company can afford the risk.

new topics

join