It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Extremists/ Racism/ Homophobia = ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I recently went to watch Borat the movie and watching the way American christians really got on me. I've got nothing against people believing in any religion although i dont have a faith myself.

Americas war on terror is, in my opinion' an excuse to gain valuable land and power NOT to make the world a better place. The fact that the extreme islamics are causing death and destruction is valid but seeing how crazy the christians in the US go over god and what he will do for you makes the whole reason seem hypocritical. From what i have seen, these 'extreme christians' will do anything they believe is Gods will and have no quarms in stating there hatred for anyone not white or straight!

I am aware that most of the film is scripted but seeing inside the church and a texan rodeo shows how these people really live and what they believe. This could potentially be more destructive than the Islamic threat when the Christian faith gains enough power.

People like myself have to sit back and watch religions destroy eachother and anyone else who is not considered to be acting in the rightful manner. When will this all stop? They all seem to be wanting a one world religion and this is not possible. What will it take for people to come out of the security of a set faith and see life for what it really is?

Maybe full disclosure would change everthing...maybe there is nothing to disclose. If thats the case then we stand no chance.

(No offence intended to anyone) What are your views on this?

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Did you like the movie, overall? That is - is Borat as funny as he seems to be on the news programs? I was laughing just at the previews~!

Back to your question: full disclosure can do no harm except that which is false, I believe. So I think it is a good thing. I also see the buds of that flower breaking forth in the very recent days.

I notice you are from the UK. Have you, by chance, heard of the recent 'scandal' involving a pastor named Haggard, of 'The New Life Church' ( I think it was ) who was exposed by an alleged homosexual lover? The accuser stated that he had had a 3 year affair with the pastor and also there was mention of drug use (which the pastor says he did buy but later 'threw away!')?

I find it somewhat telling of what I think is going to become more and more prevalent. I hope that it does. Time for the falseness to fall away and the naked truth to glory in all its beauty!

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I was crying with laughter at Borat

I havent heard of that, have you got any links to it? Im not quite sure i understand what you are saying? Do you mean that you think disclosure is on its way and it will do good?

I find it somewhat telling of what I think is going to become more and more prevalent. I hope that it does. Time for the falseness to fall away and the naked truth to glory in all its beauty!

If you mean in thesense of religion... so do i.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
I was crying with laughter at Borat

Cool. I'm definitely going to see it, then. He is hilarious! He's got a page on myspace.com, even!

I havent heard of that, have you got any links to it?

CNN article

Im not quite sure i understand what you are saying? Do you mean that you think disclosure is on its way and it will do good?

Yes - I have seen it coming on in a subtle fashion for 2 or 3 years now - but now it seems to be coming into the general public's view. And yes! I think it is good! How can truth not do good?

[edit on 11/6/2006 by queenannie38]

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I hope you are right (I think) depending on what you believe the truth is?

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   
erm who says all those Texans were Christians?

the only people verified as Christians in the Borat film were those in the Pentecostal church, yes they were rarther crazy, but there was nothing racist or homphobic in that clip.

Only the Texans at the Rodeo Show showed signs of being racist, and most of the film was scripted. However, the bit when they cheered after he said "May George Bush drink the blood of the Iraqi women and Children was a bit worrying"! LOL

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Seriously ... fundamentalist Christians make up a SMALL percentage of Americans. And of those fundamentalists ... yes you get some crazy ones, but you also get nice ones that are well balanced.

There aren't as many fundi-nutz in this country as you may have been led to believe.

(although if you got stuck living in Alabama like I did .. you'd think the country was full of 'em. There are pockets of idiots ... but in general that's not the case)

[edit on 11/6/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peyres

the only people verified as Christians in the Borat film were those in the Pentecostal church, yes they were rarther crazy, but there was nothing racist or homphobic in that clip.

Only the Texans at the Rodeo Show showed signs of being racist, and most of the film was scripted. However, the bit when they cheered after he said "May George Bush drink the blood of the Iraqi women and Children was a bit worrying"! LOL

I just watched the movie last night and can only remember a single part where a person could be identified as a Christian. Maybe fiftyfifty you were looking for a reason to bring up something that bothers you.

Regarding the film being scripted, from what i've read about it the thing is 99% not. I only had a hard time believing that they pulled the joke on that old Jewish couple.

I read an article earlier that discussed ethical decisions Sacha Cohen had made with regard to what sort of image they were trying to portray while keeping it humorous and not really making a mockery of someone who appears to be vulnerable. The method of though was, well, we'll just sucker the people who have some sort of perceived power. The people with money, people in government, people who think they are holier-than-thou (with some exceptions... it is a comedy anyhow).

And while I don't jive with religious hocus-pocus, I can't jump on the bandwagon either and claim that the Jesus freaks made themselves look bad in this movie. If anything, the Christians were extremely compassionate with what appeared to be a distraught outsider and welcomed him freely in their ranks.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
I hope you are right (I think) depending on what you believe the truth is?

I believe truth is truth. The details of which I am anxiously waiting for, along with many others.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by vinrock

Originally posted by Peyres

I just watched the movie last night and can only remember a single part where a person could be identified as a Christian. Maybe fiftyfifty you were looking for a reason to bring up something that bothers you.

Regarding the film being scripted, from what i've read about it the thing is 99% not. I only had a hard time believing that they pulled the joke on that old Jewish couple.

I read an article earlier that discussed ethical decisions Sacha Cohen had made with regard to what sort of image they were trying to portray while keeping it humorous and not really making a mockery of someone who appears to be vulnerable. The method of though was, well, we'll just sucker the people who have some sort of perceived power. The people with money, people in government, people who think they are holier-than-thou (with some exceptions... it is a comedy anyhow).

And while I don't jive with religious hocus-pocus, I can't jump on the bandwagon either and claim that the Jesus freaks made themselves look bad in this movie. If anything, the Christians were extremely compassionate with what appeared to be a distraught outsider and welcomed him freely in their ranks.

no, no. I agree. The Pentecostal Christians were extremely warm and welcoming, but some people get freaked out by folk that speak in tongues or who runs across the hall in 'hysteria'. I personally don't, because I have been a Christian and have felt powerful emotions running through me.

The original thread maker is falling into the trap of thinking that all Texans are real practising Christians. Or they're all still KKK members.

I know the film exposes peoples prejudices, but even in the 'dining club' scene, where there were Christians present, they were extremely understanding and okay about everything until he invited the prostitute over, and this was after showing a picture of a teenage child's private parts

What bothered me was the Texans cheering after the comment about Bush drinking the blood of Iraqi WOMEN AND CHILDREN. I can only hope that was scripted! It wouldn't surprise me it it wasn't, to be honest.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Ive been a way for a while so havent looked at this thread for a bit. I think what i said might have come across diferenttly to what i mean. I have recetly found out that most of Borat WASNT scripted but i was just using parts of the film as an example. I know all texans arent racist and not all christians are like thpentacostal type. As i said i have no religion so dont understand the ins and outs of christianity. But from what i have seen in various places the christian faith can brainwash people and get them to do things that most wouldnt do.

I dont hold anything against any religion and i know that the people in the church were exeptionally hospitable and kind to an outsider. It just worries me that these extreme beleifs are unhealthy for society and do lead to dfferences in opinion, usually resulting in some kind of violence. The radical islamics of course are on a totaly diferent level and in this case i dont think fighting fire with fire is going to get us anywhere.

new topics

top topics

join