It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican "fake phone call" scandal spreads

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   

This is turning into a big story. They're doing it across the country - Kansas, NH, and now PA. This is the Republican October Surprise, launched in November. It's to cheat, pretend that they are Democrats calling voters and then piss the voters off so much that they don't vote for the Democrats.

That's called lying and cheating in order to suppress the vote, and it's illegal. And the Republican party admits they're doing it.

States in which GOP fake calls are happening so far:

Philly
Kansas
NH
CT
NY

Desperate, desperate people, and the ones willing to do this are just as desperate!
Another low-level Rove move?

Source

Is there no end to this???

*added attribution to source

[edit on 6-11-2006 by dbates]

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I'm not sure of your point. Nothing illegal here!!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
US politics is a dirty game. An insult to the population.

How do you americans put up with it? then again what could you do about.

The foundations upon which your country was formed have withered and died. Your country is destined to collapse.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I'm disappointed in you dgtempe! "Robocalls" from politicians are NOT illegal and are exempt from the "Do Not Call" registry. Further, the article never lays out what the blogger alleges - that the Republicans are making illegal calls; they are not. Is it possible that any number of PACs could me making the calls? Much more likely than an opponent PAYING for his competitor's campaigning!?!? Come on, simple logic dictates otherwise. I didn't realize that you had the propensity to be so partisan dg... disappointing.

link   
The receivers of the calls are still free to go and vote. No suppression there.

Now here is REAL vote suppression :

Court Issues Injunction Against Democrat Operatives Targeting Ohio Voters With Phone Calls Providing Deceptive Information to Voters During the U.S. House Administration Committee hearings in March 2005, a common point of inquiry was the issue of phone calls made in an apparent effort to misdirect voters. The committee’s Ranking Member, Rep. Juanita Millender-McDonald (D-CA), stated that Ohio voters were “disenfranchised” when “voters were told … that the presidential election would be on Wednesday the 3rd of November as opposed to November 2nd.”

Guess the Republicans learned from the best, eh?

[edit on 11/6/2006 by eaglewingz]

link   

Originally posted by KnowItAll

Maybe not illegal but Immoral.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   
politics is an unfair game.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Maybe not illegal but downright wrong and misleading. I guess the Repugnants are getting worried to have to use these types of tactics.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by etshrtslr

Maybe not illegal but Immoral.

What is immoral about this? As has been stated above, you're free to hang up and go vote! Again, politics is dirty. This has become somewhat of an American tradition unfortunately. The Dem's hands are just as dirty when it comes to election day irregularities.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff

Maybe not illegal but downright wrong and misleading. I guess the Repugnants are getting worried to have to use these types of tactics.

Nope....go do your homework...it has been done time and again. Nothing wrong with it. I understand the bias with this thread, but really, please stick to facts and not generalized name calling and rumors based on your own political bias. Griff, if you do vote, I know who'll you vote for.

PS...all of us Americans...please exercise your rights tomorrow.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
let's see, I'm a democrat, I'm fed up with the republican b.s. that is ruining my country, I am all set to make my choice, the polls show that democrats are going to crush in the election, all is dandy and I get a few phone calls that annoy me so I change my vote?

nonsense.

you're voting for the policies and programs not the annoying phone calls. if people voted based on nuisance factor, nobody would get votes because political commercials, ads, articles, etc destroy every aspect of our daily routine.
nobody would be so dumb as to vote republican, vote against everything they believe and want, simply to punish the condidate. anyone as stupid as that deserves the worst in the election.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Again, politics is dirty. This has become somewhat of an American tradition unfortunately.

Yes, quite unfortunate that we have to hear about people's dirty laundry instead of things that are important. Like....why we should vote FOR a person instead of why we should vote AGAINST a person. It makes me sick and I can't wait till elections are over.

The Dem's hands are just as dirty when it comes to election day irregularities.

Agreed.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   

What is immoral about this?

The deception

I think both parties engage in dirty tricks..But that still does not make in right...I dont think any of us would tolerate this kind on behaviour from our kids so why should we from our politicians?

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by etshrtslr...I dont think any of us would tolerate this kind on behaviour from our kids so why should we from our politicians?

like you never made a prank call when you were growing up.

as I said, if your mind is made up over anything other than the actual policies and issues, you probably shouldn't be voting. being swayed by an annoying phone call, which screams dirty trick anyway, is like deciding to vote based on tie selection or better looking wife.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff
[Maybe not illegal but downright wrong and misleading. I guess the Repugnants are getting worried to have to use these types of tactics.

Nothing partisan about this post, eh? Repugnants? How cute... like little children playing at recess.

Um, why is everyone EMBRACING IGNORANCE on this one? How disppointing this is. A DEMOCRAT Operative gives an OPINION that something is occurring at the hands of their Republican counter-parts and it is adopted as absolute gospel! First of all, you have a PARTISAN blogger reporting the OPINION of a Democrat Operative! There is ZERO proof that this is occurring - and even if it was - BIG DEAL! This is hardly the dirtiest trick... like slashing the tires on vans used to take indigent voters to the polls or handing out McDonalds to homeless people to get them to vote for your candidate or alerting voters that the election day has been changed. Surely there are other LEGITIMATE concerns about the veracity of this election cycle, right?

For God's sake - DENY IGNORANCE!!!

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Nope....go do your homework...it has been done time and again.

So, this makes it right?

Nothing wrong with it.

Oh yes there is.

I understand the bias with this thread, but really, please stick to facts and not generalized name calling and rumors based on your own political bias.

First of all, you know nothing about me. I've voted more republican than democrat. So don't try and tell me of my biasness.

Griff, if you do vote, I know who'll you vote for.

No you don't. P.S. I live in DC where we don't have ANY representation. Why should I care this election?

PS...all of us Americans...please exercise your rights tomorrow.

Yes, people please go vote these right wing nuts out.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
Nothing partisan about this post, eh? Repugnants? How cute... like little children playing at recess.

First of all, there's nothing childish about it. I call them like I see them. Repugnants and Democraps.

VOTE LIBERTARIAN!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   

When I was a child I did childish things
But that still does make it right. And if the best you can do is dismiss the behaviour of ADULT politicians because its no different than what children do than I say we are all in a sorry state of affiars.
What ever happened to being leader and role model?

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   

What is immoral about this? As has been stated above, you're free to hang up and go vote!

The problem is that the automated system immediately call you back if you hang up before it finishes. It starts out sounding like a positive campaign ad for the individual. If you listen to it all the way through, it changes its message to a negative ad against the candidate. But if you hang up, it continues to call you back until you listen all the way through. Win-win situation for whoever is running the calls, because either you get so annoyed at the candidate for apparently continuing to call you nonstop, or you hear the attack ad against said candidate.

I don't know the legality of doing something like that, but it's very dirty and I disapprove of its use by any political party or organization.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur

Originally posted by etshrtslr...I dont think any of us would tolerate this kind on behaviour from our kids so why should we from our politicians?

Thats the level of kids bud. Or are you saying that US politics need to grow up?

Seriously, if fearmongering and annoyance is the way to ''persuade'' people into voting for your party, such a party doesnt even have the right to exist. But hey, i always hated politics...

All it needs now is a good tomato-throwing party in congress.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join