It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Physicians Propose Euthanasia of Newborns

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
This is the kind of stuff that disgusts me, What ever happened to the dignity of the human being?

And wheres the dignity for people that live there lives in Physical agony, drugged all day so they dont feel it, wearing daipers, with no thought process and tons of money and people "thrown" at them forcing them to live an agonizing life when naturally they would die, that is torture and our righteous society has no place forcing horrificly suffering people to live.

Thats the sort of euthanasia i think these people are advocating, obviously things like applying it to Downs syndrome or other mental and physical impairments is reprehensible, but forcing people to live in agony is inhuman and a huge drain of resources.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   

And wheres the dignity for people that live there lives in Physical agony, drugged all day so they dont feel it, wearing daipers, with no thought process and tons of money and people "thrown" at them forcing them to live an agonizing life when naturally they would die, that is torture and our righteous society has no place forcing horrificly suffering people to live.

Thats the sort of euthanasia i think these people are advocating, obviously things like applying it to Downs syndrome or other mental and physical impairments is reprehensible, but forcing people to live in agony is inhuman and a huge drain of resources.

You have no faith in the human spirit. Look at people like pope John Paul the second or Stephen Hawking who have had to suffer through terrible illnesses, they show us what the human spirit is capable of and to deny anybody life is a shame.

[edit on 7-11-2006 by thehumbleone]

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   

You have no faith in the human spirit. Look at people like pope John Paul the second or Stephen Hawking who have had to suffer through terrible illnesses, they show us what the human spirit is capable of and to deny anybody life is a shame.

being paralyzed is alot different then being mentally incapable of thinking and being able to have a thought process.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   
the only way i would agree that it mght be okay to let a person die is if they are in a vegatative state hooked up to life support with no hope of them ever returning to normal.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   

the only way i would agree that it mght be okay to let a person die is if they are in a vegatative state hooked up to life support with no hope of them ever returning to normal.
i think the "vegetative state clause" should be made mandatory in will.

[edit on 11/7/2006 by prototism]

apc

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   
grimreaper... we have some common ground on this one. some.

It is murder. Absolutely it is murder. But so is capital punishment.

Parents should have the right, after carefully weighing all the facts and options, to end the life of their child at any time. Clear up to age 18.

Too far?

Ok... just 2nd trimester then. And only under special circumstances. Otherwise, just 1st trimester. 4th, 5th, and 20th trimester abortions are just too messy.

The line should be continually redrawn to reflect the advancement in medical technology, specifically our ability to detect debilitating genetic deformations at earlier and earlier stages.

If the kid is going to have a foot where its brain should be, sorry... end it now before it gets to enjoy the wonderful agony of being alive.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I don't see the argument. It's very simple, actually. If you don't want to have to deal with unwanted births,
*************don't have unprotected sex**************. Good grief. It's so obvious.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo
I don't see the argument. It's very simple, actually. If you don't want to have to deal with unwanted births,
*************don't have unprotected sex**************. Good grief. It's so obvious.

It would be if that was the argument, but it isn't.

Anyhoo...

I don't really agree with this. I see their point and it follows on from the Charlotte Wyatt case of last year but it seems to me that Doctors these days forget the hypocratic oath.

However...

On the flip side, prolonging a life that is otherwise untenable and leaving the person in disgusting amounts of physical and metal anguish just for the sole reason to "be alive" does need to be thought about.

Quite a predicament. I suppose I could advocate it IF the child was in such a state as to be completely reliant on medical technology to even stay alive AND was suffering (and would continue to suffer) with no chance of improvement.

To add, the cases in the Netherlands do not happen that frequently. We're talking only a handful of babies and even then, it is mostly just turning off the life support. How many times does that happen to people every day round the world?

Exactly...

Some people can get so righteous..

For the record: I am a parent. If my little girl now suffered a terrible illness that neccesstitated her being on life support and vegative for the rest of her days, I would let her go in peace and not selfishly cling onto her whilst she suffered.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I was watching the Science channel and they had a guy on there with advanced cerebral palsy. He had it all his life. They had discovered a device to allow him to use a computer by moving his eyes. Turns out the guy is a genius, a human sponge. As soon as they got him using the computer and communicating, his brilliance was revealed. People with advanced forms of dyslexia, are extremely good artists (many times). People who are autistic can remember all manner of interesting things, including strings of numbers the normal (normal is just a setting on your dryer) person cannot and can compose all kinds of beautiful musical pieces and so on. Michael J. Fox has advanced parkinson's disease, and he certainly doesn't want to die. Einstein was a genius who needed someone to take care of him all the time, because he would forget to do things like dress himself and might walk out into the street naked and not realize anything was untoward.

Just because a baby can't tell us, I WANT TO LIVE, doesn't mean we have the right to assume they don't. I mean, we assume all kinds of PROTECTIVE rights for babies and children on the premise that they aren't old enough to make important decisions. Surely life or death is an important decision that should be decided in favor of life when the child isn't old enough to make a decision as important as that..

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 03:45 AM
link   
As pro-life as I am, I have to say that euthanasia of profoundly retarded people who can never, ever take care of themselves is something that should at least be discussed. I'm not talking about people with Down's syndrome or anything like that, just people who are basically in a vegetative state with no hope of improvement.

A dear friend of mine in high school had a brother in this state, and it basically destroyed his mother's life because she had to take care of him 24/7 for years.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
As pro-life as I am, I have to say that euthanasia of profoundly retarded people who can never, ever take care of themselves is something that should at least be discussed. I'm not talking about people with Down's syndrome or anything like that, just people who are basically in a vegetative state with no hope of improvement.

A dear friend of mine in high school had a brother in this state, and it basically destroyed his mother's life because she had to take care of him 24/7 for years.

My mom had advanced alzheimers disease. And we took care of her in our home. It was a very valuable experience for the entire family. How does taking care of someone that can't take care of themselves, destroy your life? Was it a financial burden or what?

I was in a coma on total life support. doctors told my husband that if i ever did come out of the coma i would be a vegetable (meanign they thought i was a vegetable at the time... funny, i wasn't feeling leafy or green.
) Anyway, I not only came out of the coma, I regained most of the major functions of ye olde' brain pan.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Well in the case I'm speaking of the person had oxygen deprivation in the womb and had a brain about 1/3 the size of a normal brain.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Thank you! Someone else who believes in (Wait, here's the revolutionalry idea for the day)
PERSONAL RESPONCIBILITY

Yes folks, we all know where babies come from, If your not ready to be a parent, use a bit of self control and don't do the things that lead to one. You want to be an adult, then be one and don't get into something you are ready for. It's up to you if you want unprotected sex or not.

Unless someone's forcing you into something, That's call Rape, in which case you call the Police!

Tim

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Will somebody PLEASE think of the children!!!!!

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Parents should plant a gun in the 'unwanted' babies hands. This way, they can kill it and then claim later that they did it in self defense.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost01
Thank you! Someone else who believes in (Wait, here's the revolutionalry idea for the day)
PERSONAL RESPONCIBILITY

Yes folks, we all know where babies come from, If your not ready to be a parent, use a bit of self control and don't do the things that lead to one. You want to be an adult, then be one and don't get into something you are ready for. It's up to you if you want unprotected sex or not.

Unless someone's forcing you into something, That's call Rape, in which case you call the Police!

Tim

I'll say it again, in case some people just don't get it.

THATS NOT THE ISSUE HERE

The issue is about severely (and I mean severely ) disable children who just wouldn't survive without constant medical intervention.

It has naff all to do with unprotected sex, unless that is the cause of disabled babies?

[edit on 8/11/06 by stumason]

Edit: Insult removed.

[edit on 8-11-2006 by intrepid]

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 08:45 AM
link   
OK, chill this thread out NOW!

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

As pro-life as I am, I have to say that euthanasia of profoundly retarded people who can never, ever take care of themselves is something that should at least be discussed.

So you're NOT pro-life.

Life is a mysterious thing - and we do not know the value of experience, or kinases, until we are deprived of their benefits.

And many things that cause great pain are, in the end, beneficial.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
OK, chill this thread out NOW!

Sorry..

Was just making a point and went overboard...

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Let's try to get this thread back on track folks. My original post concerned a proposal by the Royal Society of Obstetricians and Gynocologists, calling for the consideration of using euthanasia to end the lives of newborns who are born with severe disabilities; although abortion has been mentioned in many posts, that is not the subject under discussion here. I am asking you all to keep your comments focused on that issue, please. Thank you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join