It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is God dead?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by MasterJedi
Have we lost faith in America? I mean I know that we claim to be a mostly Christian society, but these same people go home and watch TV series which promote gay lifestyles, bigotry and have anti-christian themes.

I know its a touchy subject for the so-called believers in this country, but thought it might cause a little insight on their part...

So what do you think...Is God dead...and if so, are we better off?

So you are assuming that christianity is the true religion and that America is the cradle of christianity.

There was no god ever. All man-made. So obviously something that does not exist cannot be dead.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by half_minded
There was no god ever.

You know this because....? You've existed eternally and witnessed every even since the Big Bang? If God is man-made, then who made man? If your answer is primordial ooze, then what made the ooze? If your answer to that is chemical reaction, then what made the chemicals?

Go ahead and suggest that they have always been here and I'll prove that your theory is in default based on the simple fact that you exist. Face it. The universe has a cause that can't be explained. That force or creator we choose to call God. Flowing into the topic, is God dead? I think not based on the fact that everything is still in operation. Simply stating "There is no God" without any reasoning is not an argument. It's a blind assertion that doesn't even scratch the surface of this discussion.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Wonderfully put dbates... I personally have no steadfast belief, but I do not try to assert that there is no God as there is only one real way to find out for sure.

As far as the argument that no God exists or ever has, you sound as though you don't believe in the traditional view of God but rather a creative force... Am I correct?

I have heard many theories that elude to a creative force without consciousness as we perceive it and I tend to lean more towards believing in that merely because it does not require a thinking entity. Seems to me that anything that would create all of existence would know nothing of jealousy and the likes that people in ancient times attributed to God.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates

There was no god ever.

You know this because....? You've existed eternally and witnessed every even since the Big Bang? If God is man-made, then who made man? If your answer is primordial ooze, then what made the ooze? If your answer to that is chemical reaction, then what made the chemicals?

So are you saying that you existed throughout time and know for sure that God was the one who created everything in the universe. Could have been some other force that created it. What makes u so sure its God?

Everything in the universe vibrates in its unique frequence which gives it shape and form. Sometimes visible to human eye, somtimes not. Maybe everything was created when this vibration began.

What causes vibration in a string?......a disturbance.

If you read the new theories about the cyclical pattern of the universe then things make more sense.

Basically, universe has no end or beginning, its cyclical. It s always has been.

A cricle has no end, it just goes round and round.

Originally posted by dbates
Go ahead and suggest that they have always been here and I'll prove that your theory is in default based on the simple fact that you exist. Face it. The universe has a cause that can't be explained. That force or creator we choose to call God. Flowing into the topic, is God dead? I think not based on the fact that everything is still in operation. Simply stating "There is no God" without any reasoning is not an argument. It's a blind assertion that doesn't even scratch the surface of this discussion.

Worshipping God as the almighty is ridculous. No one can be better than anyone. All beings are equal. Every thing in the universe is made of energy which vibrates. They are all equal. There is no high and mighty God.

[edit on 7-11-2006 by half_minded]

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   
What caused the "disturbance" half-mind?

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I do like the thought though about the vibrations... But are there no higher forms of existence, which perhaps aren't better, but more enlightened? Hence guiding spirits and such?

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Basically, universe has no end or beginning, its cyclical. It s always has been.

A cricle has no end, it just goes round and round.

I knew this would come up. This rebuttal for this argument is simple.

If the universe did not begin to exist a finite time ago, then the present moment could never arrive. But obviously, it has arrived. Therefore, we know that the universe is finite in the past and began to exist.

Or visually you would draw it as this

(Infinite Past)------------->>Present Time (you are here)-->>------(Infinite Future)

Since, according to your reasoning, the universe goes through an infinite number of cycles, how did we (as part of the universe) get from the infinite past to the Present Time? How many cycles of the universe took place before we arrived? Is there a limit or beginning? If not then we would still be waiting for an infinite number of universal cycles to occur before you were born. But you are here (obviously) and this in itself proves that the universe did not have an infinite past or we would still be waiting for you to arrive and argue that the universe has cycles.

Putting all this philosophical non-sense aside (Which happens to be correct) what about scientific proof? Of course you probably know that in 1929 Hubble discovered that everything in the universe was moving away from everything else at an increasing speed. It's accelerating still and with nothing to slow it down the galaxies will eventually be so far apart that it will be difficult to find another one where you are located.

The Existence of God and the Beginning of the Universe (Dig deeper)

EDIT:

you sound as though you don't believe in the traditional view of God but rather a creative force... Am I correct?

Actually I believe in a traditional, personal, individual God. It's just hard to argue faith so I don't always bring it up. Sort of like telling a Jew about Jesus. You can't use the New Testament as proof (Evidence, but not proof), but that doesn't mean you don't believe it's true.

[edit on 7-11-2006 by dbates]

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

Certainly not God.

I do like the thought though about the vibrations... But are there no higher forms of existence, which perhaps aren't better, but more enlightened? Hence guiding spirits and such?

more enlightened = different vibration which enables them to 'see' the lower vibrations.

Like, we humans live in 3rd dimension and can see and visualize anything in 1D or 2D or 3D, but as soon as we start thinking of a 4th dimension, our mind goes haywire.
'Beings' in the 4th dimension can see 4D and all the lower Ds.....and so on.

Probably the higher Ds have 'more control' and can be considered 'Gods'.

see this line ______________________

if we r in 1D, we can only see the line. But if we step into 2D, the line could actually be a square.
_____
| |
| |
-------

now we can see squares and circles and other 2D shapes, made with 1D lines or curves.

If we step into 3D, we cud see that square as a cube, made up of squares in 2D.

see where im going with this.....

Since we live in 3D, its hard for us to comprehend 4D.

But 4D or any other higher dimension could easily see us and explain us and would know more about us than we do ourselves.

Gods could be merely higher dimensional beings.

Everyhitng has a vibration, so psychics can tune into other vibrations and see stuff normal humans cant.

I think the vibration was started by a disturbance. Vibration of energy. The vibrations 'creates' things, but energy is always thr. Energy cannot be created or destroyed. Can only change forms (by changing frequency). Therefore, energy always existed in some form or the other (dark energy?). Some disturbance caused it to vibrate differently and caused the creation of everything.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Certainly not God.

Oh,
okay. It "just happened," eh?

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Certainly not God.

Oh,
okay. It "just happened," eh?

I can name billions of things I do without assistance form God.

Like taking a crap, eating food, running, reading, sleeping, etc.
God does not help me do those things, then why is it that you think God created the 'disturbance' or big bang?

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   

God does not help me do those things, then why is it that you think God created the 'disturbance' or big bang?

You are also a sentient being,are you not? Are you willing to place sentience on the universe,not saying that it's not,but are you willing to place sentience upon the universe just so you can say that it does not need God?

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:13 AM
link   

You are also a sentient being,are you not? Are you willing to place sentience on the universe,not saying that it's not,but are you willing to place sentience upon the universe just so you can say that it does not need God?

The hell did u just say? Please speaketh englishe.

P.S. No such thing as God

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I don't understand why sentience would be necessary of the universe?

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   

You are a living being,no?

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   

You are a living being,no?

Yes I am, God is not!!!

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Ok,now that you understand what sentient means :shk:, let's refer to what I asked. Give me an answer,not your typical one line blow offs.

Here is what you said and then here is what I asked: Please answer.

[edit on 8-11-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   
The what the what? Sorry I am dumb and do not understand what sentience means. No speake englishe......habla espanol?

But I am smart enough to know that there is no God!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   
[Worries about how this thread is dwindling]

Couldn't the idea of a Creator only be the imaginings of a creator? I mean couldn't it be that we need to have the belief in a Creator merely because we as a species, creates?

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Half_minded,you are either a child,or you can impersonate one very well. I am not sure which it is?

[edit on 8-11-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Lets keep it civil... it is a thread about God after all =)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join