It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is God dead?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Have we lost faith in America? I mean I know that we claim to be a mostly Christian society, but these same people go home and watch TV series which promote gay lifestyles, bigotry and have anti-christian themes.

I know its a touchy subject for the so-called believers in this country, but thought it might cause a little insight on their part...

So what do you think...Is God dead...and if so, are we better off?

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   
i don't see how god should be dead just because christian religion is outdated.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Well...

I see where you are coming from.. I don't think that it's so much that "God is dead" as it is that people are looking for answers in places other than where they used to. As long as there is a semblance of some kind of spirituality, I think God will be alive and well in America.

However,I like you, do have major concerns over all of the promotion of gay lifestyles. It's something that I have noticed for a while. If Hollywood had its way about it,it would have you to believe that everyone is gay!!
It's rather sick in my opinion.

I mean, it's to the point that even on the news,you can't go through one segment without hearing something about the "gay agenda." Enough already!! We know that they are around and they are entitled to live any way they wish,I don't care. As long as it does not influence my life, which it doesn't and it won't, I don't really care what orientation they are.

[edit on 6-11-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 11:54 AM
link   
God will be foced out till we accept his counter part and that is what is expected that we submit to the man like the Satan. The chess game is moving in that direction till everyone will be so confused and anti -Chirst like that the move he can take the pawns away with him the better the defeat, a bit like suicide bombing the souls of people.

We can no longer change this trend it will happen as in decline in Biblical faith and prophecy will seem to be fulfilling. Either way just look at all the possibilities and see where its all leading.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Speak the truth,

I don't think the issue of this so called Gay agenda is the problem or Gay people unless they try and use it as a tool to currupt something religiously but I think religious people are too focused on that when there are a 1000,000 sins to chose from. All sin is relative to God but at the same time I don't think he asks us to be judgmental about people who are sinful in a certain way as we are all sinners at heart.

I think this is a trick that pulls on both sides of the human spirit, the Christians become so self righteouse about gay people they become focused on one thing and hate fill their minds with more ani- thinking than a Gay person would think in thier life times. Some christians focus too much on this and its wrong like I said we all have sinful natures. But on the other hand its not right for Gay movememnts to put the Bible down and say its wrong too, the two have become as bad as each other and they need to step out of each others circles and undertand more rather than dictate each other.

There are worse hidden agendas than sex based sins in Hollywood, one is Satanic Angelic themes and the other science agenda of human gene manipulation.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Well,TimeLord, it says in the bible that it is not our place to judge,not even ourselves. Therefore,I can't argue with what you said. "Do not judge lest ye be judged."

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   
i sense an amount of muted gaybashing in this thread.

seriously the religion is outdated.

Anybody know what scientology says about gay folk?

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 12:15 PM
link   
No - God is not dead. God was never alive. Well, I supose you could argue that God is alive in the sense he is the fabric of everything that exists... but thats not what I think you want discussed here.

Yes, most of the world probably has lost most faith in America by now - most never had any from the start though.

People have been advocating bigotry and anti-christian principles long before this country was even here.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by surrender_dorothy
Anybody know what scientology says about gay folk?

I just found out very quickly:

en.wikipedia.org...

A bit hypocritical i guess. It's a rubbish religion anyway.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I think its about people losing sight of God in the modern world, there are many reasons why, some are made worse by hiding God away from people. Does mean we are do not sense God naturally around us, we don't need a book to tell us God can be felt or his work seen by his prints he has left in nature. Still think its wrong to say he does not exist like saying dark matter does not exist stop teaching it avoid the issue.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by surrender_dorothy
i sense an amount of muted gaybashing in this thread.

I am not "bashing" anything. On the other hand,I certainly don't want,what I perceive to be a distasteful lifestyle, thrown into my face either!!

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I didn't really start this to talk about the gay agenda... Although I have a few thoughts on the way it is surfacing in this country...

Liberally minded people preach tolerance to other poeples goings on... Well I'm all for tolerating them, but as for putting them on primetime in about 8-10 shows now goes beyond tolerating and jumps square into accepting...And I for one do not accept it, and I don't want my child to have it put into his head that it is not only accepted but promoted in our society.

As for Christianity being outdated, how do you mean? Are the values that it puts forth no longer valid? Do the stories not apply to us in a modern era?

Not to bash anyones beliefs, but Scientology is a joke, research it and you'll quickly discover that it is amzing what some people will actually believe.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MasterJedi

As for Christianity being outdated, how do you mean? Are the values that it puts forth no longer valid? Do the stories not apply to us in a modern era?

I am not sure,what they mean by that. While I am not an orthodox Christian,I certainly have Christian morals.

I am not really religious at all. I am spiritual. I believe that there is a God and that Jesus is savior and all of that, but I kind of shutter at conformity. I am not one that tends to think that the status quo is always right.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   
The question, as posed by the person starting this thread, was "Is God Dead"? Is this thread gay-bashing? Hardly. That was way out in left-field wasn't it?

I don't believe that out perception of God has anything to do with his reality. Do I need to see SkepticOverlord to believe that he exists? (sorry for dragging you into this) Does my belief in him prove, or disprove his existence? Hardly. Myself and others in this forum believe he exist because this forum exist and we have seen some of the comments he has made. Now, what if he hadn't posted for 2,000 years? Were his earlier post simply fiction?

That's what's going through everyone's mind. God hasn't done anything miraculous in the last 2,000 years so he's either dead or out to lunch and forgotten us. This brings up several age-old debates such as, did God wind up the world and then just sit back, or is he actively active in our world? Interesting logic abounds on both sides of the debate.

Are we better off if God was dead? I don't think so. Unless you believe that religion is just a control mechanism, or you believe that God is evil, you would have to be saddened by the loss of one so great he caused everything to come into being. The only other possibility is if you don't agree with the laws that God (via religion) has imposed on society. Most of the laws that we get from, say Christianity, are good laws that benefit the whole of society. We may not always like the fact that we can't steal or cheat, or murder, but it's the most fair approach to everyone as a whole. Just imagine how bad things would be if there were no rules or regulations. Unlimited freedom has a heavy price. Think of a balcony on a high-rise hotel that didn't have a rail to keep you from tumbling off the edge. Sure the railing is restrictive, but it keeps you safe.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Thank you for the thoughtful reply dbates, I like your train of thought.

I was gonna pose the question of how one is to determine not only that He exists, but that all that was written about him, was truly divinely inspired?

I mean a lot of what religious texts put forth is common sense rules i.e. don't kill, don't steal and such. Why did it take a "God" to point it out, or was it that common man wouldn't listen unless there were repercussions in the hereafter?

Just a couple more thoughts =)

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I always thought that one of the messages Jesus was trying to give was to stay away from organized religion and that the only way to know God was to have him truely in your heart. To have a personal relationship with God.

Thats why I believe modern Christianity and Christianity it's self has got it all wrong. We shouldn't have evangelists, we shouldn't have preachers, or the pope, nor gigantic churches that spend more money on their foux-sad(pun intended)than on helping the community. No more passing the collection plate around at church unless an armored car rolles up shortly afterward taking the donations to a verifiable cherity. Pastors and preachers need to go get jobs, and give back to the community whole heartedly in their services, even Jesus had a job-a carpenter. Work and be productive but always keep the message at heart, to do otherwise is an indulgence-which is another issue Jesus brought up about the organized religions of the time. None of these people have a relationship any closer to God than you or I. And the only way to commune with God in actuallity is to go within ones self and be open to precieving Gods insight.

Jesus was trying to tell us this, and did so in many different ways. I am suprised that the mass christian population has never really understood what he was trying to impart on us. But Jesus himself commented on how the average folk just don't really listen to deeply when he spoke. The last step of spiritual maturity, which would be to think and feel for ones self, not follow blind dogma is what Jesus was trying to impart on us. Some people need to go to church and talk to a pastor to experience god. But, Jesus was more about going out into a field to view the flowers, learn about god through his works, not by what some other not any closer to the source people had to say about it. In fact Jesus was arguing that such dogmatism resulted in making you more aloof and less in tune with God.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
Is this thread gay-bashing? Hardly. That was way out in left-field wasn't it?

ummm...maybe but I did say it was muted.

If Hollywood had its way about it,it would have you to believe that everyone is gay!!
It's rather sick in my opinion.

what I perceive to be a distasteful lifestyle

but as for putting them on primetime in about 8-10 shows now goes beyond tolerating and jumps square into accepting...And I for one do not accept it

I did say it was muted but I think I have a point here.

Perceiving a gay lifestyle to be distasteful is, in my opinion, itself distasteful.

Tolerance means that gay people can take part in society without prejudice doesn't it?
You don't have to watch the shows but gay characters and celebrities surely have a right to be on primetime television don't they?
Many heterosexual people find gay people entertaining and do not find their lifestyle distasteful.

I surely don't want to start a fight here...I'm just saying is all.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Back to the origns of this Post, God is not dead on Planet Earth, I believe as Jesus spoke, 'I may go away but my words will never go away' something like that and guess what he is right even if it means 1 Bible is left the year 200,000AD.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by MasterJedi
you'll quickly discover that it is amzing what some people will actually believe.

everyday I find it amazing.

but to add to what bassplyr said; A religion, any religion, that is based upon books written hundreds/thousands of years ago has to be outdated. Sure some of the basic principals and morals are eternal but much of it was created to control the masses of over a thousand years ago.

Today we are different people. We live in a diferent world. I live in the Uk and, although it's not perfect, I think our ever evolving laws are alot better than some stagnant beliefs derived from an outdated religion.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   

You have voted BASSPLYR for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have used all of your votes for this month.

Great post,BassPLYR!!

[edit on 6-11-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join