It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 People From History That The World Could Do Without

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Josef Stalin
Franklin Roosevelt
Woodrow Wilson
Mao Zedong
Adolf Hitler

In no particular order.
(This is from my prospective, especially as someone in the United States. If I lived in China, Wilson wouldn't have influenced me much at all)

[edit on 19-5-2007 by Johnmike]

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Emperor Constantine (Jesus, same thing...)
Bill Gates
Henry VIII
Tom Cruise, Jerry Falwell and Jesse Helms (tie)
Me

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   
If Bill Gates wasn't alive, we'd be stuck with crappy Macs. =/

[edit on 20-5-2007 by Johnmike]

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
1-Caesar
2-Luther (lutherian Church founder)
3-Hitler
4-Mz. Clinton
5-Andy Warhol

All of 'em bums. Talked into a lot about this and that. Caused nothin' but trouble, no matter how much you try to stir up.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Ok, you holier-than-thou anti-Christian/anti-abrahamites, would you rather have a world of Communist dictatorships or maybe Nero-like dictatorships? 'Cuz that's the alternative.

Says who? Does Christianity come with clairvoyance skills or something?

Communists are reactionaries to the old order which was founded in Christianity. So would it not stand to reason that if organised religion never came about they would have nothing to react against?

Chrisstianity is an exclusive membership. You must be of the one, of the body. I have been told repeatedly, I am not. Badgers. The lie in waits, 'til you believe there gospel. I am oft reminded of one of my favorite Star Trek episodes: "The Red Hour", where the population, for one hour, reverted to Barbarism. Only within the Church, it is a 6 day event, come Sabbath-all is forgiven.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I think that it's funny when people try to blame religion for things. Religion is just a manifestation of the beliefs of those who practice it. The Catholic Church was an evil thing (though I don't get the hatred for Martin Luther), but Catholicism in itself wasn't evil. Those who used it for power were. If it's not religion that people use, it's nationalism, and if it's not nationalism, it's something else. There will always be an excuse for hatred, always an excuse for tyranny, no matter what.

[edit on 20-5-2007 by Johnmike]

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
When we choose people without whom the world would have been better off, we really speak from a very uninformed position.

Even the most evil among us may in the misery they cause open the doors to the actions of countless others who enrich the lives of all who follow and who may have never acted had there not been some heinous evil to overcome.

So, my choices, in light of what others have said are:

1. Adam

2. Eve

[edit on 2007/5/20 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
1. Christopher Columbus
2. Guy de Rothschild
3. Norman Rockefeller
4. King Leopold III of Belgium
5. Yo momma

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Grady got there first!

1: The first man (Adam)
2: The first woman (Eve)
3: Steve (just in case he really did make Adam and Steve)!

The world would be a much happier place without all of us humans screwing it up.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Another thread. Nice
However the main problem I find with these threads is the 'If we remove 'insert-evil-person-here' the world would be a better place' is a little thing called Chaos Theory.
Remove Mohammed? Possibly-uber-Catholic-world!
Remove Genghis Khan? Possibly expansionist China!

Originally posted by seagull
So instead of God, we would all worship at the shrine of science? Using what as the focus, the latest Nobel Prize winner?

You guys never get it, do you?
Science is not religion. Science is the...well actually, I can't be bothered anymore, so if you would be so kind as to look up the Scientific Method on Wikipedia it will give you a good overview.

Originally posted by seagull
In its own way, science, or rather the pursuit of it, has led to just as many deaths as any so called religious cause. Stalin was an aetheist, so to was Mao, and how many millions did they cause to be killed.

Do you honestly believe that the scientists just sit and think about how many deaths they can cause with their next discovery? Once again, atheism is not correlative to science. Not all atheists are scientists, just as not all scientists are atheists. Also, I could say that 'insert-doctrine-here' was bad because a paranoid, egomaniacal dictator followed it.
HITLER WORE SHOES!!!!ZOMG SHOES R EVVILL!!

Anyway my 'five' would be the 'bottleneck' tribe in Africa that all humanity is descended from.
Though with Chaos Theory another species would eventually fill the void...

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chaoticar
However the main problem I find with these threads is the 'If we remove 'insert-evil-person-here' the world would be a better place' is a little thing called Chaos Theory.
Remove Mohammed? Possibly-uber-Catholic-world!
Remove Genghis Khan? Possibly expansionist China!

You know, I actually did think about that when I posted, but I decided against mentioning it.

I think the point here is if you could remove five people, and have the world remain
the same apart from the direct and obvious effects those five people never having existed.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 01:03 AM
link   
1) Abraham Lincoln (what was left of the constitution died while that bastard was in office.)
2) John Marshall (supreme court justice that started the decline of the united states.)
3) Woodrow Wilson (allowed the cancer that is the federal reserve to be born.)
4) Alexander Hamilton (can't fault W.W. if I don't fault the first moron that started a federal bank.)

5) I honestly can't think of a 5th person as detrimental to modern history as these men. Sure Hitler made a big ruckus and Stalin was horrible at labor management, but the actions of those men were self-limiting. Hitler never could have taken over the world and Stalin could never kill enough people to fully enslave the minds, and therefore the thinking, of all future generations.

The men I listed each completed their portion of an overall criminal, nay, treasonous act so vast and all-consuming that most people today deny it was ever even committed. They each were part of a protracted coup on the governance of a population that was so subtle that even today most people are unaware it happened.

Jon

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Well Voxel, if you're going with people in the U.S. Government, I'm surprised that you forgot my friend, Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Emperor Constantine (Jesus, same thing...)
Bill Gates
Henry VIII
Tom Cruise, Jerry Falwell and Jesse Helms (tie)
Me

OK, I'll go with the ones on your list, but I really don't understand Henry VIII being on your list. Could you please explain? I mean, sure, he killed some of his wives, but how did he negatively imact the world? One thing he did was to break away from the Catholic Church's monopoly on govt and the world. He was one of the early ones who started the whole move away from the Catholic Church's stranglehold on govt. I think that was a good thing, but I guess if you're Catholic, maybe you wouldn't think it was so good.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChiKeyMonKey
Grady got there first!

1: The first man (Adam)
2: The first woman (Eve)
3: Steve (just in case he really did make Adam and Steve)!

The world would be a much happier place without all of us humans screwing it up.

Just having another look at this and saw that I didn't add a number 4 or 5... Did some serious thinking about this.

4: The first French Man
5: The first French Woman

There we go then. Earth is now a happy friendy place where everyone gets along.

MonKey

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
Well Voxel, if you're going with people in the U.S. Government, I'm surprised that you forgot my friend, Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

I kinda wanted to put him up there but I couldn't think of a really good reason off the top of my head. I mean I know about the New Deal but a lot of those programs were eliminated in short order. I also have this theory that by this time in our history the oligarchy of moneymen was so powerful that any president taking an action that could be seen as out-of-line with what they wanted would suffer.

Can you give me a good reason for putting him on my wall-of-treason? I am seriously interested.

Jon

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
The New Deal and corporatism
Well you must know already of the vast unconstitutionality of the New Deal, so I won't even get into that. It's still treason, but not downright evil. (Well, maybe it kind of is, but to pick apart something you know about is a waste. It's huge and did a ton of damage, but whatever.)

But there's more.

Japanese American internment

United States Executive Order 9066 was a presidential executive order issued during World War II by U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt on February 19, 1942, using his authority as Commander-in-Chief to exercise war powers to send ethnic groups to internment camps.
The order led to the Japanese American internment in which some 110,000 ethnic Japanese people were held in internment camps for the duration of the war. Of the Japanese interned, 62 percent were Nisei (American-born, second-generation Japanese American) or Sansei (third-generation Japanese American) and the rest were Issei (Japanese immigrants and resident aliens, first-generation Japanese American).

Executive Order 9066

Executive Order 9102 created the War Relocation Authority (WRA) which was the U.S. civilian agency responsible for the relocation and detention of Japanese-Americans during World War II. This executive order was signed by President Roosevelt on March 18, 1942 and officially expired on June 30, 1946.

Executive Order 9102

The first attack on our right to bear arms...

The National Firearms Act (NFA), cited as the Act of June 26, 1934, Ch. 757, 48 Stat. 1236, as amended, currently codified as Chapter 53 of the Internal Revenue Code, 26 U.S.C. § 5801 through 26 U.S.C. § 5872, is a United States federal law passed in 1934 that, in general, imposes a statutory excise tax on the manufacture and transfer of all Title II weapons and mandates the registration of those weapons.
The Act was passed after the repeal of Prohibition, and it mandates that transfers of the covered firearms across state lines be reported to the United States Department of the Treasury (this function has since been transferred to the Justice Department). The transfer tax of $200 placed on the transfer of firearms controlled by the Act was roughly equivalent to five months' salary in 1934.

National Firearms Act

Then you have the fact that he got us involved in World War II by sending tons and tons of weapons and supplies to the Allies while enforcing an embargo on the Axis (especially Japan). Hell, by the time we actually declared war, we already had a fighter squadron in China (Flying Tigers). We'd already taken sides long before Pearl Harbor. How many Americans were drafted and died because of the failure to keep us out of the war?

[edit on 8-8-2007 by Johnmike]

[edit on 8-8-2007 by Johnmike]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Hmmmmmmmm. I have to top 5 lists. I couldn't choose between this one,

5) Idi Amin
4) Saddam Hussein
3) Hitler
2) Mussolini
1) Mao Tse Tung

Or - this one

5) The guy who invented the 'food product' SPAM

4) Tom Cruise
3) The jerk who cut me off in traffic this morning
2) Jerry Jones (The owner of the Dallas Cowboys)
1) My loser brother in law

Hmmmm........... some tough choices.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
In no particular order...

Mother Teresa
Gandhi
Joseph Salt (inventor of the polio vaccine)
George Washington
Princess Diana

Actually, this is a joke, to demonstrate the inherent absurdity of the question. There is no one that history or the world "could do without," just because it is impossible to know if the world would be better or worse for not having them. Whether their influence was positive or negative, they made the world what it is today. This is not to say that the monsters of history are in some way heroes, just that it's impossible to know what the world would be like without them.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 03:15 AM
link   
WEll, lets do this.

The Rothchilds
The Rockafellers
Mao Tso Tong
Osama Bin Ladin
Wodrow Wilson

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join