It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Army Recruiters: "Iraq War Is Over"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Baphomet79
Not only tests Math, Math and Verbal make up the Armed Forces Qualifying Test (AFQT) of the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB.) The other parts of the ASVAB test functional areas such as spatial relations, automotive, and electronic knowledge. AFQT is trying to make sure you are intelligent enough to do the job with also affecting your MOS placement, the other parts of the ASVAB narrow your MOS down. For instance I tested top 3 in General Mechanical, Surveillance and Communications, and Combat Arms.

That sounds more like what I would expect for the selection process,
In fact that sounds tough,I`m not sure if the Brits have to go through that level of detail in the tests.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I'm replying after having only read half of the posts on this thread (I needed to be in bed 30 minutes ago), but want to post while it's still fresh in my mind, for forgive me if my thoughts were already covered in one of the posts I did not read.

Anyone joining any armed force should be willing to shoot and be shot at. There's a reason they're called the Armed Forces and maintained by the Department of Defense. Just like anyone looking to be a local police officer should be prepared for physical altercations, so should anyone joining any military force (moreso, actually).

Anyone with half a brain cell left should know that the military (regardless of branch) is there to fight for the good of the nation. The key word is "fight." Fighting means combat action. Combat action means your butt is going to get shot at, and you might have to shoot another human being. This is a reality for all enlisted people, in every branch (including Coast Guard). You might get lucky and never see combat, but there is no guarantee. A friend of mine with the Coast Guard, who has port duty (inspecting incoming ships - a rather cushy position) is still required to carry at least a sidearm at all times, for protection, and possible combat. She's never had to use it outside of training, fortunately, but it's still a reality of the job.

Recruiters do lie. That's a given. As has been previously mentioned several times, they're desperate for fresh bodies. Any thinking individual should know the above facts, and always consider them. Nobody gets a free ride in the military (except maybe our president, but that's a different topic for a different thread - on PTS).

As for experiences with recruiters, mine was pretty limited. I was 17 (this was back in 1992), and was woken up at 6am on a Sunday by a Marine recruiter calling on the telephone. Being half asleep, and having had been up until about 4:30am the night before, I was less than cordial. My exact comment, which I cannot repeat here, included my desire for him to eat something less than appetizing, and requesting his demise before hanging up on him. I never heard from him again. He never had a chance to lie to me.

As for the realities of war and the military (specifically the Marine Corps), One of my favorite films, heralded as one of the best and most accurate portrayals of the Marines by several of my friends who have served (ranging from serving in Vietnam [when the film is set] through current day), is the classic Stanley Kubrik film, Full Metal Jacket. Having never served myself I can't say firsthand, but to my understanding the only difference from Marine life in that film and the reality of Marine life now is that the Drill Sargents are now prohibited from actually striking a soldier in basic. There's a reason that one of the unofficial mottos of the Marine Corps is "Last to know, first to go."

Simple common sense should be enough to see through a recruiter's lies. Unfortunately, that's not something possessed by most people (thank [insert preferred deity] that the people on here have common sense).

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Yeah you're right Obsidian, they should know. At the same point, not everyone is brought up in a household where such topics are discussed. I mean lord I have a cousin whose an ex-Naval Officer who does not even take the paper nor find it interesting when I want to talk about the war, he did not serve in OIF, Gulf War yes but not the same. He went to college just like I did and still does not care enough to bring it up to his kids, albeit in middle-school, they're getting close to that age. It goes to show whether they are enlisted kids in a place such as Flint, Michigan (sorry to quote a Michael Moore scene from 9/11, don't like many parts of the movie, but I thought the scene where he goes to his hometown is very telling, portrays our current debate very well,) or kids whose father (my cousin) was a Naval Lieutenant Junior Grade at the time he honorably discharged.

America's general lack of interest with what's going on in the world is the biggest problem I have with my own country.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by IspyU
If it is really that easy to get in the military, my brother right now have been trying to get in himself for three years no BS... its because he can never pass the math part of the test they give him and is still trying to pass that test til this day and he been in ROTC all through out highschool.. to make it fair he had learning disability

Yeah I don't like the fact that the ASVAB does not have a clause for learning disabilities like the SAT does. At the same point, and I am in NO way chastising your brother, if someone can not finish that test at an acceptable percentage.....would you want your brother potentially going to war?

P.S. for those wanting to go OCS, make sure you take some Math courses, after 4 years of not having to even add beyond a tip to a bill.... that was not fun to study for.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by IspyU
If it is really that easy to get in the military, my brother right now have been trying to get in himself for three years no BS... its because he can never pass the math part of the test they give him and is still trying to pass that test til this day and he been in ROTC all through out highschool.. to make it fair he had learning disability

Yeah I don't like the fact that the ASVAB does not have a clause for learning disabilities like the SAT does. At the same point, and I am in NO way chastising your brother, if someone can not finish that test at an acceptable percentage.....would you want your brother potentially going to war?

P.S. for those wanting to go OCS, make sure you take some Math courses, after 4 years of not having to even add beyond a tip to a bill.... that was not fun to study for.

I'm just glad he didn't pass the test long time ago, but in a sametime I feel sorry for him because the military was his future that he was planning on making a career out of, like after serving he want to become a drill instructor or something like that..

I use my brother as an example because some people make it sound like anyone can just get in that simple.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 03:57 AM
link   
All I have to say is I was lied to by my recruiter. However the Navy was still the greatest thing thats happened to me. It really just comes down to doing the research yourself. Just like reading the fine print when buying a car.... IF your gonna sign away 4-6 years of your life away to the U.S., do some research and read the fine print!

I know of a specific example of a fellow shipmate of mine, while he was at the recruiters station he was slipped a piece of paper he was told to sign. That paper would have made him a 5 year with no extra bonus instead of a 4 y.o.
BTW: in the Navy each extra year you give them is worth about 6-8 thousand dollars if your just going in. Depending on the rate, bottom line is fellas DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Otherwise you kinda deserve to be taken advantage of, and you will be.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I too was lied to by my MARINE recruiter. I don't know anybody who wasn't. But, like someone else said in an earlier post, if it's not in the contract, it never took place. Everyone I knew had a similar story. "Do you like camping? Do you like hunting? Do you like to hike?" They just left out the part about the 80 lb. pack, Dragon missiles, rifle and ammo. So they never truly lied, just left out parts of the truth. And we all just accepted the fact that our ignorance allowed us to get taken advantage of. We just "sucked it up". And even with Desert Shield/Storm and Somalia tours, I would never exchange those six years in the Corps for anything......well, maybe an all expense paid six year vacation in the Bahamas.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
Well said Maverickhunter,
You sound like you know the score.I hope most of your peers do too.
Too bad you aren`t old enough to vote yet.

I cant wait until a year goes by, when one year passes by I will be able to vote in presidential and general midterm elections and then I'll get my say in the way the decisions get made (to some extent over the amount of millions who willist have voted), but it's great that I'll get a say (somewhat) in america.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   
iraq war is over now that the dems r in power

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by trinityatthebridge

The more things change, the more they stay the same. (If we are doing one liners.)

P.S. Apologies Mods

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Alright, my apologies, I aproach MOS' from an Army standpoint. Guess it is the same as 11-A being Infantry officer, and 11 being Infantry designation. Although the Army is the real Infantry.

11 Alpha is what?
I have never heard of 11 Alpha, but Im not an officer, I work for a living.
Recruiters lie, but they shouldnt. They should be held accountable.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I had a recruiter come into my store and try to pretend as if he was interested in buying a TV. After bs'ing with me for a while, the truth came out as he tried to inform me that I had no future without the military. To top it all of, he said this:

"Last year alone in North Carolina, 2,000 people were killed in DUI car crashes. I'd say it's safer over there than it is here".

I kind of looked away and laughed. That was basically the end of the conversation.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by trinityatthebridge

I hope you are right Trinity.

white4,
Man,I think even I could come up with a better line than that about the DUI deaths!
You almost have to feel sorry for the recruiters if thats the best they can do...

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I can still remember wanting to stangle my recruiter and that was 25+yrs ago. Not much has changed about recruiters it seems. Just make sure you read your paper work very well before you sign! Ounce of prevention..........

AOD

[edit on 9-11-2006 by Ancientofdays]

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Hi There,

Army recruiters lying! Well I never...! You mean to say that those wonderful chaps and chappettes in uniform are actually telling fibs...hell fire! If you can't trust your local 'press-gang' member, whom can you trust? Then again, perhaps they are paid per 'fodder' head they recruit, or perhaps they get commision (repayable upon your miscalculated death from various means) as you pass the gate.

Of course, they will play upon your patriotic sympathies. Of course they will tell you that 'officially' the conflict in Iraq is over, and that no-one is being sniped at, blown to bits, kiddnapped, etc...all that is simple Iraqi propaganda. Bush and his cronies were there at the frontline, leading the fodder on...so they should know. Hell...even Bush's daughters were in Iraq, laying down their lives for the good of the American people...I mean, c'mon, think about what they sacrificed. Please continue to sign up. Here, a dotted line for your pre-emptive volunteering: ........................................................................ it's all worth it in the end! Oh! and don't worry about your girlfriend...she'll be looked after by the lads back home...she'll have a great time. Ever thought what she'd look like in funeray attire?

Get real, guys, you know exactly where you're going if you sign up, regardless of what is said to you. Go figure...

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Well played elysiumfire,
You have summed up the feeling of the thread masterfully.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I may be a bit late, but as long as we are still talking about recruiters, I thought i would throw this in.

There was one day when I was in high school (last year) when the bell for lunch went off. As we walked down the hall we all could hear a deep thumping sound coming from outside. Turns out the Army recruiters had brought a jet black H2 hummer with the army logo painted all over it. It had a huge Flat screen T.V. 30"+. Hooked up to that TV was a Playstation 2. There were cameras in the door which were hooked up to smaller flat screen TV on the inside of the door. Then to top it all off, they had a bangin' sound system in the back with two 15" subwoofers and a whole whole array of mids and highs.

There was a number of army recruiters just conveniently standing nearby at some tables with loads of pens and a stack of papers. They got everyone that was even in the general area to fill out these papers which included Name, Phone number, address, age, etc. so they could start sending everyone packets about how great the army is. I can understand doing this at the recruitment office, but doing it at schools is just low (and yes I do know that schools are owned and run by the government, so they can do it).

Peace to the middle east

Pancho

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I doubt all teenagers are as astute as to what is involved in the process of enlistment. Considering many kids are not even aware who the Secretary of Defense or Veep is, I do not expect them to understand the plethora of redtape that is involved when signing up. Bait and switch is a classic tactic of any recruiter and the uninformed kid is an easy target.

Army exceeds most recruiting, retention goals

Anyone that is thinking about enlisting do yourself a favor: go volunteer at the VA, get to know some disabled vets, stop by your local chapter of the VFW and ask the old timers what it's really like. The wisdom gained there is worth more than all the college funds and GI Bills combined.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 07:28 AM
link   
yeh , don't worry the iraq war is over...... and the iran war begins in february, so join now and they will ship you over to iran later. have fun folkss, this war is going to be a bloody one. now that the elections are over, watch the gas go up this january. here we go.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   
But... but... they'll be protected by all these robots the army's ordering up:

U.S. more than quadruples its robot order for Iraq
SPECIAL TO WORLD TRIBUNE.COM

A Talon EOD robot on duty in Iraq.
Army-Technology.com

Your Army of One?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join