It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Your favorite "guitar god"

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Any votes for your favorite "guitar god"? I have several in mind, but can't narrow it down to one single guitarist.




posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Ace Frehley of KISS






posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Interesting choice. I personally would put Frehley in the category of "guitar icon". He's not known so much for his playing skill, but is obviously a great performer considering all the millions of people he's played for, and his simple, catchy playing; there's a reason KISS sold so many records!

Like I said, I can't really narrow down one specific player, but here's my list (in no particular order), and maybe someone can vote on those below:

Eddie Van Halen
Steve Vai
Eric Clapton
George Lynch
Tony MacAlpine
Vinnie Moore
Jeff Beck
Gary Hoey
Joe Satriani
Yngwie Malmsteen
Jimmie Hendrix
Jake E. Lee
Randy Rhodes

Any others?..



posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Jimmy Page. Definately. Theres a scene from the Zeppelin DVD box set where he is doing a guitar solo with a violin bow...it gives me chills everytime I see it.



posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Overall,Its Hendrix.

But Jimmy Page comes a close equal second with Guy Davies,the blues geezer.
.



posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Stevie Ray Vaughn...game over.



posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zhenyghi
Eddie Van Halen
Steve Vai
Eric Clapton
George Lynch
Tony MacAlpine
Vinnie Moore
Jeff Beck
Gary Hoey
Joe Satriani
Yngwie Malmsteen
Jimmie Hendrix
Jake E. Lee
Randy Rhodes

Any others?..


i agree, great list mang... i would like to add Zakk Wylde, Diamond (Dimebag) Darrell, 80s Kirk Hammett, Al Pitrelli, Tracy G, Vivian Campbell, Tony Iommi, Adrian Smith, Dave Murray, John Christ, Luca Turilli, Marty Friedman, Ritchie Blackmore... there are probably a few others but i can't think at the moment, lol...

rock on!




posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zhenyghi
Interesting choice. I personally would put Frehley in the category of "guitar icon". He's not known so much for his playing skill, but is obviously a great performer considering all the millions of people he's played for, and his simple, catchy playing; there's a reason KISS sold so many records!

Like I said, I can't really narrow down one specific player, but here's my list (in no particular order), and maybe someone can vote on those below:

Eddie Van Halen
Steve Vai
Eric Clapton
George Lynch
Tony MacAlpine
Vinnie Moore
Jeff Beck
Gary Hoey
Joe Satriani
Yngwie Malmsteen
Jimmie Hendrix
Jake E. Lee
Randy Rhodes

Any others?..


Agree with the above.

I add,

Edgar winter
B.B king.

For overall fave it's tied between hendrix and vai. First saw/heard Steve Vai in 80's film crossroads. Required viewing for any guitar players



posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   
No, no, no, NO!
There is only one true Guitar God.
All your other "gods" are false idols!
American Idols? Maybe.

But the one true Guitar God is...

Drumroll please! No, actually a guitar riff please!

Brian May, from Queen!



posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I was gonna say Page, but I have to go with Hendricks on this one.
Page can lay out an awesome riff, but Hendricks can do it while wiped out on heroin.
It was in his blood, the guitar was a part of him, almost like a third arm.
Drugs or no drugs, the dude can play......



posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Does a bass guitarist count as a guitar god? If so my vote goes to the late, great Cliff Burton, followed by Les Claypool.

Surely legendary Bluesman Robert Johnson would have to be recognized as a guitar god?



[edit on 7-11-2006 by Beelzebubba]



posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Stevie Ray Vaughn is my fav guitarist but only by a whisker. The others mentioned above are also awsome guitarists, for the most part. Some others that may have eluded your consideration:

Dwayne Allman
Tom Scholz
Pete Townsend
Alex Lifeson
David Gilmour
James Hetfield

... and of course... the eternal one...Keith Richards.

P.S. SpanishCaravan: I think you meant to say Johnny Winter who is an awsome blues guitarist; his brother Edgar is more of a keyboradist than guitarist.

[edit on 11/7/2006 by Stormrider]



posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Jimmy Page. Jimmy Page. Jimmy Page.

Here are the reasons.

1. Best-dressed guitar god ever (tie with Keith Richards).

2. Really was into magic and Satanism, didn't just dabble for the image.

3. Travelled with bevies of underage groupies and suitcases full of whips.

4. Never once expressed the tiniest regret for all the drugs, doxies and devilment. A man of principle.

5. Drools copiously during guitar solos, proving that his heart is really in it.



posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormrider
Stevie Ray Vaughn is my fav guitarist but only by a whisker. The others mentioned above are also awsome guitarists, for the most part. Some others that may have eluded your consideration:

Dwayne Allman
Tom Scholz
Pete Townsend
Alex Lifeson
David Gilmour
James Hetfield

... and of course... the eternal one...Keith Richards.

P.S. SpanishCaravan: I think you meant to say Johnny Winter who is an awsome blues guitarist; his brother Edgar is more of a keyboradist than guitarist.

[edit on 11/7/2006 by Stormrider]


Yes,thank you. Had just gotten off of work and my brain was somewhere other than in my head



posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Joe Satriani and Steve Vai


In pace Always
resi



posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 03:56 PM
link   
john petrucci, paul gilbert and ron "bumblefoot" thal

my 3 favourite musicians ever



and for bass because everyone's ignoring it

billy sheenan



new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join