It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Torchwood - A Doctor Who Spinoff *Mild Spoilers*

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I wasn't all that hyped up about this show, though it does have one of my favorite Doctor Who Characters in the new series in it, Capn' Jack! For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about here is a short explanation of this Fictional Universe.

What is Doctor Who?
Doctor Who is the longest running Sci-Fi show on television which will be starting it's 29th season on the 24th of December. There is no one star for this show as there have been many many doctors. They are currently in the 10th interaction of the doctor played by uberly talented David Tennet. The whole show revolves around the Doctor and His companions traveling through time and space in this Public Police Call Box(Police Phone Booth in American) called a TARDIS. It's primarily a Family show so no blood, no curse words, with Simpsons level of Sexual innuendo.

Who is Captain Jack?

On the far Left is Rose Tyler played by Britpop sensation Billie Piper.
In the Middle is The Doctor played by Christopher Eccelston
On the far right is Captain Jack Harkness, the Star of Torchwood.

Captain Jack is, was, or will be a Con Man, a Companion of the 9th Doctor(Played by Christopher Eccelston) and the leader of the Torchwood Cardiff Office. He only appeared in a couple of episodes, but that is all that was needed for fans to cling to him like seranwrap.

What is Torchwood?
Torchwood is a "Sexy, 21st Century Sci-Fi Crime show set in contemporary Cardiff, Wales," according to Russel T. Davies.

At first, I wasn't too keen on this show, but as it's been progressing, week to week, I just can't stop myself from tuning in! It's much more adult oriented then Doctor who. There is Blood. There is Gore. There is Partial Nudity. This is the Darker side of the universe of Doctor Who. Are you ready?

[edit on 6-11-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   
To be honest, the ridcully jury was out on Torchwood. First episode, loved it, 2nd and 3rd, not so much. The thing is, for me, the new Dr episodes either had a kick ass adrenalin pumping episode (and i'm saying this as a 36yr old who grew up with the Dr), or a good story which made you think about life and morality. I've just watched the 4th episode of Torchwood on telewest replay, and it was proper adrenalin pumping! loved it! Lets hope theres more like it.
Im starting to like Jack a lot more too, he came across as a little too cocky in the Dr for me, but you can't help but like him! So I like the darker side to him thats appearing in Torchwood a lot. Lets hope there will be more episodes like the last.

As an aside, I can't help but wish there was an updated version of Blakes 7 in the works. Especially if it was done as a 're-imagining' ala Battlestar Galactica. I've tried to think who would be best to bring in to do it as well Russel T Grant did for the Dr. Because I dont know directors/producers well, I'm thinking Guy Ritchie. Dont know anyone else to be honest. But, the more I think of it, the more I like it! who else knows how to handle a gangster/hoodlum/outlaw story but him?

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   
My parents are in their 60s and they still watch Doctor Who. The writing in it is suberb and doesn't talk down to it's audience like a lot of other Family shows do. They got hooked back in the 60s for Christs sake!?!

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 05:08 AM
link   
hi,

i can't wait until the next episode! just watched the first episode then it was great! i can't wait until doctor who comes out in Australia, I've heard a lot about it here and i am waiting for it to premiere on ABC!

Roswell.

top topics

join