It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saddam to be hanged.. THEY STILL HANG PEOPLE?!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Did anybody else think like me when I first heard that Saddam was to be hung today. The first thing I thought was "They still hang people??" (U.S.A) Now I live in Canada so maybe I've just never been around it to know, but what constitutes a "death by hanging" anyways??? Why don't they sentence him to death by boiling? It's more painful but just as barbaric... on a broad scale ..

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   
it was chosen by his own peers or whatever som im guessing its to be down in his country...

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Hanging is the most common form of execution in the world. I can not find a link at this time but I remember watching a show on the history channel recently that was about this very subject.

If you really want a link to support this just let me know and I will go searching for it.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Actually hanging is a form of execution still allowed in some states.

www.cwrl.utexas.edu...
Forms of capital punishment that are still used in the United States include hanging, firing squad, electrocution, gas chamber, and lethal injection.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Well Saddam's execution method has nothing to do with America's, but if your still interested...

In 2001, 38 of the fifty states in the United States allow the death penalty. These states permit executions by the following means:

ALABAMA: electrocution
ARIZONA: gas chamber, lethal injection
ARKANSAS: electrocution, lethal injection
CALIFORNIA: gas chamber, lethal injection
COLORADO: lethal injection
DELAWARE: lethal injection
FLORIDA: electrocution
GEORGIA: electrocution
IDAHO: firing squad, lethal injection
ILLINOIS: lethal injection
INDIANA: electrocution
KANSAS: lethal injection
KENTUCKY: electrocution
LOUISIANA: lethal injection
MARYLAND: gas chamber
MISSISSIPPI: gas chamber, lethal injection
MISSOURI: lethal injection
MONTANA: hanging, lethal injection
NEBRASKA: electrocution
NEVADA: lethal injection
NEW HAMPSHIRE: lethal injection
NEW JERSEY: lethal injection
NEW MEXICO: lethal injection
NEW YORK: lethal injection
NORTH CAROLINA: gas chamber, lethal injection
OHIO: electrocution, lethal injection
OKLAHOMA: lethal injection
OREGON: lethal injection
PENNSYLVANIA: lethal injection
RHODE ISLAND: electrocution
SOUTH CAROLINA: electrocution
SOUTH DAKOTA: lethal injection
TENNESSEE: electrocution
TEXAS: lethal injection
UTAH: firing squad, lethal injection
VIRGINIA: electrocution, lethal injection
WASHINGTON: hanging, lethal injection
WYOMING: lethal injection

law.enotes.com...

As you can see, only two states still use hanging as a method of capital punishment.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 03:28 AM
link   
They certainly do still hang people in parts of the world. Case in point..this Australian Guy was Hung in Singapore recently.

Not saying that I agree with it, but hanging is still on the law books in a lot of places.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I see you live in Canada.
The last hanging we had in this country was at the Don Jail in Toronto on Dec. 11, 1962, so we only stopped the practice a little over 40 years ago.

I don't think it's an extremely cruel form of execution when you consider the crimes committed by people that end up swinging from the end of a noose. As far as I know it is usually very quick, though there have been cases of prolonged suffering and even decapitation.

Saddam requested death by firing squad, but after all the crimes he committed I sure as hell wouldn't give him any last wish like that just for the sake of his dignity.

Hang him high and dump him in an unmarked grave.
Then let's allow the world to put this chapter of history behind us.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trauma
Did anybody else think like me when I first heard that Saddam was to be hung today.

Saddam is not going to be hung TODAY or for a while for that matter. There is an appeals process should he decide to appeal. There is no timetable as for the length of the appeal, it could drag on for awhile. Now if he chooses not to appeal, then the sentence is carried out within' 30 days.

In my opinion murderers and sexual predators all deserve the death penalty. It's not used nearly enough in my opinion, especially in the Calfornia. Most on death row die of old age.

Washington state added lethal injection a few years ago from what i understand. There was a death row inmate who weighed almost 500lbs, they were afraid the rope would break or he would be decapitated during the hanging process.

new topics

top topics

join