It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zoloft Zaps

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I knew better than to go on any medication but after a few life events and some family persuation, I went on 100 mils of Zoloft a day.

I took it for 2 months and had no negative or positive effects so I secretly discontinued the medication. I know now I was suppose to step down but if my Dr knew, my family would.

My body, my decision. I didnt/dont need the grieve. So what 'I think too much'. Maybe thats what some of us are suppose to do.

I reckon my question is:

Does anyone know anything about the 'zaps' sensation. and

Most importanly, when may they stop? They are very disturbing.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Congratulatoins on kicking Zoloft to the curb. What do you mean by "zaps?"

Troy

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I've tried several SSRIs over the years, though Zoloft was not one of them.

I noticed when I went off Efexor I experienced what I called brain sparks that lasted for a couple weeks, but they diminished over that time and were gone completely after that.

If it's bothering you a lot I'd suggest a chat with your doctor.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Yes I experienced those when coming off of Cymbalta. I did take Zoloft previously but switched straight over to Cymbalta. When I experienced the side effects, I would simply increase my dosage for another week and then taper down again. I've experienced side effects after tapering off these meds. You should NEVER just quit taking them. It's very dangerous. If you continue having these side effects, just split your pills in half and take them for another week, then maybe a half pill every other day for a week. You don't have to tell your doctor about that. My doctor has always let me control my own dosage. As long as you are taking what you feel you need. So if you're tapering off of them... just keep scaling down while paying close attention to any side effects you're having. If the effects are minor, just ignore it. If it's bad, then increase the dosage temporarily and and then continue tapering off.

Good luck!

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Thanks yall:

Down with Docs.

If they had their way about it I would be hooked on:

Xanax: because I have thoughts and opinions.

Oxycotin: because my disk is shattered, yet I can control it with Motrin.

Any kind of anti-depressant: because Im a girl.

And just in case that isnt enough, they always had you a 'script to Ultram... which IS addictive. Just not as much so as narcotics.

I may be a slave to pain. I may be a slave to thinking too much, thereby 'suffering in my head'.

But I will NEVER be a slave to drugs... just to piss 'them' off.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I used to be on Paxil, 40 mg a day, and the 'zaps' were awful for about two weeks after I quit. But they WILL end eventually, so stick it out-- SSRIs simply aren't worth the trouble.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Thanks little one. for this post now i know what the hell these things are called. and aren't going to kill me.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I know exactly what you mean by the zaps coming off of Zoloft. I remember when I came off of it I couldnt move for nearly a week. Everytime I moved my eyes my brain would buzzzzzzzzzz it seemed. Very freaky feeling.

After about the 4th day of this you start wondering if you are permanently damaged and you will feel this way forever.

Not to worry...it takes aprox 2 weeks before the funny buzzin sensations subside coming cold turkey off a SRI like Zoloft. The closer to the 2 week marker the better you start feeling.

I got to thinking this zap sensation is worse than the depression I had.

I wouldnt doubt they engineer it like they do other drugs to keep you dependant on them.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Zoloft must be some powerful stuff. That's like quiting a powerful street drug. Never had a vitamin, mineral, or herb do something like this, if I ran out of money and couldn't take them for a while. Now that I understand more about the Psychs I'm actually glad I never started seeing my guidance counselor at school, AKA psychologist.

Hang in there, you do not need medications like Zoloft, regardless of what anyone might say.

Troy

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Its bad yall.

Im not so scared now that I know others have experienced this. Damned scary though, I'll tell you that.

I knew I was going to have a seizure... a stroke. its so intense. It takes over your brain and rushes through your body, downwards, through your core... not your arms. And releases itself through your legs.

The entire process is about 1 second long but its like you are in time suspension. Its horrid man, really sucks. It occurs everytime you turn your head or move your head in anyway really, such as standing up or down.

People put their kids on this. That makes me want to cry. If it doesnt grow from the ground, I dont need it. Be it food or otherwise.

Down with Drs.

-EDIT-

DOWN WITH SPIRITUAL/MIND CONTROL.

[edit on 7-11-2006 by Little One]

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I know, the school Psychs want my nephew on Ritalin I guess. They kept pushing for him to get tested, insisting something is wrong, despite really not finding anything yet after multiple tests allready.

It's a screwed up new world.

Troy

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I'm not really sure what you mean by "zaps" either.

I've been on and off Fluoxetine (Prozac) but never really suffered any ill effects from starting or stopping it. I think it does kind of make you a bit happier, but the effect is very small IMHO.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Little One
Thanks yall:

Down with Docs.

If they had their way about it I would be hooked on:

Xanax: because I have thoughts and opinions.

Oxycotin: because my disk is shattered, yet I can control it with Motrin.

Any kind of anti-depressant: because Im a girl.

And just in case that isnt enough, they always had you a 'script to Ultram... which IS addictive. Just not as much so as narcotics.

I may be a slave to pain. I may be a slave to thinking too much, thereby 'suffering in my head'.

But I will NEVER be a slave to drugs... just to piss 'them' off.

The problem is not the doctors. The problem is big pharma.

By the way, good for you.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 02:44 AM
link   
The 'zaps' should go away in a couple of weeks.

I had them when I discontinued meds and it was pretty freaky. At the time, my doctor was still in denial over any withdrawl symptoms for Paxil. He wanted to increase my dosage because I became somewhat emotional when he told me that I was imagining them.

I always described the sensation as sticking your tongue on a 9 volt battery.

Disclaimer added: Do not stick 9 volt batteries on your tongue. While an excellent way to check if they are dead yet, it's probably not the smartest thing to do.

But nobody ever said I was smart, except for my mommy.

[edit on 8-11-2006 by Duzey]

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Does anyone know anything about the 'zaps' sensation.

I ended up getting my heart checked years ago as I had this 'attack' which felt like a powerful, full body electricution.. it threw me off the couch. Thinking back it may've been about the time I was aking Zoloft.. is this the 'zap' you mean? I had never made that connection before.. the main problem I developed [after months on it] was chucking up repetively [min 8x] every time I took the stuff which defeated the point of taking it. I asked the doctor and they didn't seem concerned.. did some research on my own and had the same symptoms that go with 'seritonin toxicity'.

I never 'asked' for permission to go off it though.. I just told him that I wasn't going to keep trying to ingest something that my body rejected as poison [never been in so much agony in my life!]. He didn't really believe me; "but at least you might absorb some of it" so I demonstrated by violently and audibly throwing up in the clinic's toilet for half an hour.

Now thats a dramatic exit.

[edit on 8-11-2006 by riley]

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Yep riley, bet that was Zoloft.

I now have a minor sensation of numbness in my mouth along with the zaps but ya'll are right and have comforted me. My Dr said to increase dosage! But, of course she would. She is a salesperson, all Drs are.

I have given up on her and now talk to my Pharmie. She said that I should have stepped down. Duh. But since Im this far in to just deal with it.

Cruel but reality. My Dr wanted me to refill and go through a 3 month step down. Why doesnt she do a three month step down. That bitch is high as a california pine everytime I go in there.

IF I HEAR 'SO HOW DOES THAT MAKE YOU FEEL' ONE MORE TIME I AM GOING TO PRISON. Thats all she can say, that and nod her head as she is writing 'scripts.

Dr 45, asks patient, 'how does that make you feel'. Patient kills Doc by beating her repeatedly about the head and face with her Prada. Story on pg. 12

Oh my, Im angry. Duely noted.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Like the curious fool I am, I went outside to the garage and stuck my tongue on a 9-volt battery. Yep, thats the sensation... just inside and all over and VERY intense.

*Sticks the battery to her tongue again... just to see if it does the same thing* -giggle-

Dat feels weird.

I put the battery above my headboard. My man sleeps with his tongue all hanging out. I cant woop him awake but I can drive him crazy in his sleep. He is mean to me. When I see that tongue *zap*. Then act to be sleeping.

He is the one that took me and convinced me I needs a head Dr. A control thing. We'll see who wins in the end. Things arent looking up for oll dude.

Any other 'drive someone insane while the sleep' ideas? He willl eventually leave if I can get him beat down enough. Sleep deprivation is swift.

Im sick huh? Or sick of being messed with?

You be the judge.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Im sick huh? Or sick of being messed with?

You be the judge.

It seems to me that maybe you really do need to be on medication. Remember that each medication will affect different people in a different way. If zoloft didn't work for you, try another one.

I'm not crazy about the idea of being on meds but if it can help stabilize your emotions and behavior to make your life better, then it may be worth it to be on them.

You may want to try an herbal or homeopathic remedy but you also need to find the right brand and dosage and it requires a bit of research learn how to use them appropriately.

Good luck.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I dont need to be made a zombie. Thats not my lifes ambition. Though is sure seems to be my husbands.

Here hun, eat this pill. Sit there and look pretty. Good girl, no talking!

Other than one dr, him and you... noone has ever suggested I might need meds. So, has to be something to that... its called control.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I'm bi-polar. I got off the meds almost six years ago and I feel much better. I have a wonderful hubby who understands me. If I start to get hyper, he'll suggest that I might be getting manic or if I'm especially lethargic he may suggest that I might be getting depressed. That is my cue to alter my behavior. I found that by taking responsibility for my actions, I can actually control my symptoms. He is never judgemental, just politly suggestive. I had rushes for about two or three weeks, but have had no drug induced problems since.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join