It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thanksgiving Avatar Contest. (Contest over. We have a winner!)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Maybe if there was just a little bonus for creating your own and winning, or even a subcategory for those who decided to create their own. I agree that if it were required far fewer people would actually do it (because of Time Restraints, lack of confidence etc.). Another thought could also be having two separate competitions, one for self-created and one for the self thought up but created by someone else.

Just throwing some ideas out, because there seems to be mixed emotions on this topic.

[edit on 13/11/2006 by 7Pan7cho7]

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I've been thinking, and I think perhaps for the Christmas contest,
we should go with a middle-ground solution.

I'm saying this here to get feedback by the way.

Howe about for the next one we make it where you don't nec-
essarily have to make your own avatar, but you must provide
the person you're asking to with the basic design and any images
you want in a general idea of what you want, and post both the
finished avatar, and your original idea for it.

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I personally believe that, at the very least, there should either be a bonus, or a seperate category for those who created their own avatar. It's not really fair to those of us who put a lot of hard work and effort into our contest submissions, for someone who was either given an avatar or "borrowed" someone else's to win instead. However, there needs to be an outlet for those who don't have the skill or programs to create their own.

I propose this as a middle ground: Have a "Best Original Work" and a "Best of Show", that way if someone who can't create one, but happened to find that one absolutely perfect image out there to use as an avatar, or had a brilliant creation given to them by geniuses like UKWizard, et al, then one can still have a chance at a first prize, while at the same time guarenteeing that those who put in hours and hours worth of work into their avatars ALSO have a chance at first prize.

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I can see this getting far to political and the 3 Amigo's will probably kick the avatar contests to the curb. I don't remember any of this being an issue with the Halloween Avatar contest.

Some people simply don't have the techno stuff on their machines to make avatars. I guess they should be excluded for that reason

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Well I think (not that anyone wants to know what I think) that we should just sit back and enjoy the beautiful avatars that everyone is sporting in honor of the Day of Thanks.

There really are some greats ones showing up.

Why not just enjoy and not worry too much about who made what and where?

PSSSSSSSTTTTT.... It really is just for fun. (Don't tell anyone)

Semper

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Sorry, I wasn't trying to kill any fun, it looked like Lori wanted feedback, so I replied. Didn't mean to upset anyone.

I'll just ummm... wander around the rest of the site.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Ok, I'm sick of the bickering.

Contest is Closed!

Just Kiddin!

Honestly though, nobody has said anything here to warrant any sort of human emotion. Few questions were asked, hopefully a few were answered. It would be tough to change any rules in the middle of the competition, so lets just keep on, keepin on! As for the next competitions, whomever is in charge of it, they can discuss what route to take.

Again, Good luck to everyone.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Well, I don't have very high end software ( corel something, I haven't updated since I got out of the advertising biz several yrs back, and I AM a bit jealous of you young whippersnappers with all the latest..sigh), but I still manage to enter some of these contests......

Most printers ( mine was $130, and I've seen cheaper ones since) now include the ability to scan in photos and crop them to the right size for an avatar......one could even scan in a silly/clever doodle made on a scratch pad and use that.

I would say leave things as is, or just have each contestant post a history for their entry to explain what all went into it's creation. The judges could weigh the effort involved if they desired.

For instance.....my entry is a stock photo ( again left from the advert days), loaded, cropped and text added.......not so much work, other than the time it took me to run down that photo.........but it expressed what I feel regarding Thanksgiving. ( My usual avatar is a scanned photo of an 18 x 24 hand drawn portrait......that one, from scratch, took over 40 hours, if I include the pencil time.)

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Just in case I made my entry myself. Just a little time planing and a few hours editing on the computer program bryce 3d. It is probably not my best but i like it.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I dont have any programs that will help me create anything good. So, i guess its only those who can "create" who will be enjoying contests from now on.

Ironic, i started the contests. Nothing like taking the fun out of things around here.

Have fun y'all.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
What's with all the pessimism?

kinglizard made one post about people creating their own submissions. Nothing has been followed up, I feel we are making this a much bigger issue than it is.

IK, Semper, & I have graciously offered a hand in guiding the competition, and all three of us have stated that all submissions are welcome. Regardless of who has created it.

We have a staff of judges on hand waiting for the contest to close. All submissions are going to be judged equally.

Can we allow this drama to end?

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

Why not just enjoy and not worry too much about who made what and where?

PSSSSSSSTTTTT.... It really is just for fun. (Don't tell anyone)

Semper

Now that's what I'm talking about! Could I make my own avatar? Sure I have corel draw....but a lot of people don't. Let's just have fun!

Thank you Semper, and Chissler.. amen

[edit on 11/15/2006 by jensouth31]

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Optimism is a requirement for all posts here on out.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra
...Lori wanted feedback...

Iori, that's an I, not an L.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   
So, i wont whine anymore. Sorry, i didnt want drama. I take it we are ALL IN no matter who created the avatar!!!

lets get in the spirit of Thanksgiving and enjoy yourselves and may the best Avatar win, no matter who created it!!!!

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
Iori, that's an I, not an L.

I was beginning to wonder if I have had it wrong all along. I knew it was an I for sure, but I thought for some strange reason it was to stand for an L. Paranoia I tell yah, paranoia.

I can see iori venting from here.

Is it pronounced:

Eye-Or-EE Comb-EE

[edit on 15-11-2006 by chissler]

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Is it pronounced:

Eye-Or-EE Comb-EE

Yep, that's how you pronounce Iori, Komei is pronounced koh-may.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Gotcha.

Pronouncing some members names can be tricky at times. I've always wondered about a few.

chissler checks one off the list

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Gotcha.

Pronouncing some members names can be tricky at times. I've always wondered about a few.

chissler checks one off the list

That they can be.

While we're on the topic, is your's pronounced with the Z
sound or the S sound?

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I'm not really sure.

I guess its more of a z sound than an s.

chizzler might give a better indication of the sound.

It has an s sound but probably dominated by the z'ness.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join