It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War on Terror: No Progress

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2002 @ 11:23 AM
link   
CIA chief warns of terror threat

The director of the American Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) has said the danger of a terrorist attack on America is as serious now as it was in the summer before the 11 September attacks.

news.bbc.co.uk...

or, to summarise, "we've bombed the sh!t out of afghanistan, but ... um ... they're ... um ... well, er, they're still there. ... yeah, even with the billions of dollars worth of bombs, they've ... um ... survived."

got make you think: when will the CIA ~ever~ manage to the get them ~all~ with military means?

- qo.

posted on Nov, 6 2002 @ 11:27 AM
link   
"They've reconstituted, they're coming after us, they want to execute attacks,"

well like duh......
how dense are these people.

"we dropped a load of bombs on afghanistan and....er.....well it looks like we really really pissed them off!"

posted on Nov, 6 2002 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Its not Afghanistan that is mad its the terrorists.And um they um would still um becoming after us um,even if um we hadn't blown them um up.They um declared war on um the westren world um.

There will always be a threat,that is why we need to stay on top of it.

posted on Nov, 6 2002 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I dunno, I still think the 'blow up afghanistan' Idea was better than your 'sitting in a circle holding hands and singing' idea.

posted on Nov, 6 2002 @ 01:32 PM
link   
What progress appeared to be in the first year of WWII? The shrub said it'd be a long drawn out scene. Interesting how in todays microwave age everybody wants their coffee done in 90 seconds.

posted on Nov, 6 2002 @ 01:58 PM
link   
LOL @ nyeff. Go get 'em, man! I can't do it all myself! Damn, you make me laugh...

posted on Nov, 6 2002 @ 02:12 PM
link   
assuming that there is no progress because there is still a threat is just plain ignorant. UBL's son was just captured, there have been many high level Al Qaeda members captured and their biggest supporting regime, the taliban, has been long gone. Not to mention the group that was just eliminated the other day by Yemen and the CIA. You're assessment that progress isn't being made is just untrue. Lupe, based on your comment it seems like you don�t wish to anger the terrorists � are we supposed to placate those that wish us dead? I don�t think the civilized world needs to be blackmailed by these terrorists.

posted on Nov, 6 2002 @ 02:15 PM
link   
LOL,

Sometimes they make it to easy.They get mad when we go to Afghanistan and bomb the hell out of it.Then we shoot a missle a a car load of terrorists,where only the terrorist's get killed and they cry about that.

If they want to sit around and put flowers in the terrorists hair I think they are going to have to wait till the terrorist are dead.Since they would shoot anyone of us on sight.

posted on Nov, 6 2002 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Very true, on all accounts. I wonder if they would want to be friends with the terrorists if they set up a training camp in their back yard, eh? I'm betting they would be singing a different tune then!

posted on Nov, 6 2002 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Interesting that the most substantial gains in the War on Terror marketing campaign have come from the light-mobile-tactical type of Intel & assault and not the massive-spend-to-feed-the-Contractors exercises.

Question: Who here has been in the Military?

posted on Nov, 6 2002 @ 03:04 PM
link   
A decade ago - why?

posted on Nov, 6 2002 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I'm on active duty now...that oughta get Loopy going, eh??? *LOL*

posted on Nov, 6 2002 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Loopy is still trying to figure a way to say that bombing the Taliban in the future caused the terrorists to fly the planes into the towers that day.

posted on Nov, 6 2002 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Way back in the 80's.Marines

[Edited on 01-08-2002 by nyeff]

posted on Nov, 6 2002 @ 03:17 PM
link   
LMAO @ TC

posted on Nov, 6 2002 @ 05:27 PM
link   
1986-1990 as a Navy computer technician...Since I was in a rate that *requires* at least a Secret Level clearance, there was more to it than that simple statement, but if I told you, I'd have to kill you.

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 03:44 AM
link   
."Lupe, based on your comment it seems like you don�t wish to anger the terrorists � are we supposed to placate those that wish us dead? I don�t think the civilized world needs to be blackmailed by these terrorists. "

In a sense, yes.

our current attitude towards the "terrorist threat" is to attempt to destroy it by force. This is quite obviously impossible. these people are fighting for a cause, blowing them up just strengthens their resolve and their cause.

There aren't a finite number of terrorists to blow up, you cant just blow up everyone with a gun and thats it problem over, you have to address the reasons why they hate you so much.

This war is simply inflameing the situation, and rallying more people to the terrorist cause, its also destroying a country, a process which generates poverty and desperation, the perfect fuel for generating terrorists.

we're actively fueling the fire.

we need to step back and consider other options.

my personal favorite being to ignore the terrorists and start re-building the infrastructure of countries where terrorism is rife.

Its damn hard to get somone to willingly fly a plane into a building when they're well fead, well housed and happy.

Its a long term solution and doesn't have any of the wizzy fire works, it also goes against the current desire for vengence, the "ritious indignation" and it will cost lots and lots of money.

On the plus side it will actually work.

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I thought anyone who read the news would know this by now anyway. You can't kill a weed by chopping off the head... but I don't Mr Bush understands the analogy...

"What the hell does hortoroculture have to do with Pakis?"

[Edited on 7-11-2002 by Fantastic_Damage]

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lupe_101
my personal favorite being to ignore the terrorists and start re-building the infrastructure of countries where terrorism is rife.

Terrorism is rife in Saudi Arabia, seems like that's where a lot of terrorists come from. They are far from needing our money Lupe. How about Palestine? The US and EU (and other countries) give Arafat billions, yet he keeps it to himself. His networth is estimated at 10 billion dollars. I've heard that it could be in the upwards of 20. There are only 2 million or so people in the w. bank. Even if it was 10 billion that would go a long, long way. It's more than respectful Lupe to get to the root of the problem. You're right. It's just that I think we differ on the root of it all. I don't see why we aren't holding the ME countries and their dictorial leaders more accountable. We shouldn't allow them to teach anti semitism to children in their schoolbooks and turn around and blame ourselves for terrorism

[Edited on 7-11-2002 by Bob88]

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Oh I agree.
check out the thread concerning Chechnya.
As for giving arafat billions that he keeps for himself, we should probably question then, why we give him billions instead of rethinking our distribution policy.

The only thing I'm certain of is that there are more people willing to fly planes into US buildings now than there were before Sep 11.

Lets look at it in a way some members here may be able to understand.

Lets say during the war of independance We beat you Yanks to a pulp, threw everything we had at killing you and succeeded in running your little uprising into the ground.

after that, would you have turned round and said "fair cop we better not try that again" or would you have retreated, seethed for a few years, taught your kids how evil and bad we are and, in a decade or so's time, come back at us in greater numbers with even more resolve?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join