It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Andromeda galaxy

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Why are we even worrying about Andromeda? IF we manage to find a more efficient means of space travel, we will have plenty on our hands within our own galaxy.

to give you an idea, most of our science fiction envisions a future where we only explore the milky way.

The milky way contains over 100 BILLION stars, maybe more than that, spread across about 100,000 light years. We are bound to find extaterrestrials somewhere within our own galaxy. If we are lucky, we will find some friendly ones within a couple hundred light years. Which means that we may make contact soon if they at least have radios.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 11:56 PM
link   
that is impossible i mean i don't think we have got any one near us because if we did we wouldn't known through probes i guess i think there isn't any life in the kupier belt as we know. and do we have any idea that where we lie in our galaxy i don't know but this might be possiible if we made a huge improvement in some form of hyper space technology

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by da king
that is impossible i mean i don't think we have got any one near us because if we did we wouldn't known through probes

Most scientists believe that there is atleast one Earth like life
bearing planet within 45 lightyears of the Earth, now considering
that that's a conservative estimate, there may well be as many
as two or three sentient species within 50 lightyears of us.

You are correct, we would'nt know about any other species
using probes, considering of the ones we've sent out so far, the
farthest ones are just now reaching the edge of our solar system.

i guess i think there isn't any life in the kupier belt as we know. and do we have any idea that where we lie in our galaxy i don't know but this might be possiible if we made a huge improvement in some form of hyper space technology

The kuiper belt is a part of our solar system, so any life if any
residing there would be on a microbial scale.

As to where we live in the galaxy, well we live in the Orion arm
of our galaxy which is a barred spiral galaxy.

We may very well ahve prototype HyperSpace technology in as
little as two decades.

If we were able to create Hyperdrives, than we could reach the
closest star system to us (Alpha Centauri) in about 80 days.

Of course the travel time would diminish as we developed better
Hyperdrive technoloy.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
TOW DECADES!!!!!!!!!!!!

[edit on 24-11-2006 by da king]

link   
well advancement in Hyperspace Technology in 2 decades is kind of impossible don't u think so i mean reaching the star in 80 days that is like a huge improvement i mean like c'mon i takes us years light year and in 2 decades we will be using this technology that would enable us to reach the nearest star in only matters of couple or three months wow. Well i don't think so that this is in our to do list in 2 decades i mean with all sorts of stuff going on like WARS, diseases, Global Warming and Problems i mean c'mon now.

link   
well what about the other planets with in our solar system like the MOONS TITAN & EUROPA they were also told to be kind of having early stages of earth like environment. Well how can it be possible it would be really cold up there due to there distance from the sun. And looking at there plantet i don't even see any land or ocean or something

[edit on 24-11-2006 by da king]

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   
'Hyperspace' can allow us to travel places, sort of like how the quickest way from one end of a piece of paper to the other is not a straight line, but by bending it in half so each end touches each other.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 04:43 PM
link   

well advancement in Hyperspace Technology in 2 decades is kind of impossible don't u think?
so i mean reaching the star in 80 days that is like a huge improvement i mean like c'mon i takes us years light year and in 2 decades we will be using this technology that would enable us to reach the nearest star in only matters of couple or three months wow. Well i don't think so that this is in our to do list in 2 decades i mean with all sorts of stuff going on like WARS, diseases, Global Warming and Problems i mean c'mon now.

Not really, just think, if you told scientists in the 70's that in three
decades the majority of people would have computers in there
homes with tens of gigabytes of processing space, they would
have said it was impossible.

There's a thread about the technology on ATS.
Radical Space Propulsion

well what about the other planets with in our solar system like the MOONS TITAN & EUROPA they were also told to be kind of having early stages of earth like environment. Well how can it be possible it would be really cold up there due to there distance from the sun. And looking at there plantet i don't even see any land or ocean or something

Titan is very cold, but it does have land and liquid oceans, just not water oceans, though there is water present.

Europa is covered by a thick ice sheet, though it's suspected is
has a liquid water ocean underneath.

Titan may have microbial life, but it would be very different from
the life we are familiar with.

Europa may have warm oceans caused by undersea volcanoes
and vents, caused by Jupiters tug creating geoactivity.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
A couple of hundred years ago it took months to get from the old world (europe) to the new world. (America) The only means they had was by boat.

A hundred years ago you could make the crossing in a little over a week. The Titanic was trying to set the record when it hit the iceburg.

Today you can make the crossing in a few hours.

A hundred years from now, there is simply no telling. Our technology is growing so fast and exponentially we may be able to transport there like they did in the star trek series.

The future holds such incredible promise I plan on coming right back should I have to leave this world.

I don't want to miss a thing

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Yes Andromeda might be the closest galaxy, but it would be better to look toward a different one to colonise. Since our galaxy, the Milky Way, will be colliding with Andromeda, in about twenty billion years or so.

On the bright side for those of you who have grown disgusted with this race so long as who ever survives the disgusting way things on this planet have been going and does not travel beyond Andromeda, all evidence of egistance will be destroyed in the collision.

jra

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
On the bright side for those of you who have grown disgusted with this race so long as who ever survives the disgusting way things on this planet have been going and does not travel beyond Andromeda, all evidence of egistance will be destroyed in the collision.

Ummm it's believed that nothing will happen when our galaxy collides with Andromeda. They will just merge into one galaxy. The chance of a star running into our solar system is very slim.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jra

Ummm it's believed that nothing will happen when our galaxy collides with Andromeda. They will just merge into one galaxy. The chance of a star running into our solar system is very slim.

I did understand correctly that when galaxies collide that they will merge. But is that merging process not something that is very violent releaceing a bunch of energy? Even if there is not a direct collishen do you think anything could survive galaxies colliding?

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   
wait a minute if two galaxy collides into each other wont some type of big bang sort of thing would happen because i mean planets in both galaxy would also collide into each other. well hyper space still look impossible because USA, CHINA, INDIA, JAPAN are planning to send manned missions on MOON, MARS and etc by 2020 or some place around there. i mean c'mon now i would be atleast a century or some thing for us. i guess.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   

wait a minute if two galaxy collides into each other wont some type of big bang sort of thing would happen because i mean planets in both galaxy would also collide into each other. well hyper space still look impossible because USA, CHINA, INDIA, JAPAN are planning to send manned missions on MOON, MARS and etc by 2020 or some place around there. i mean c'mon now i would be atleast a century or some thing for us. i guess.

Yes something similar to a big bang would happen from the way I heard it explained. It is the black holes colliding that would cause most of the bang. That in turn will relice a but load of energy. The resulting effects I would think would be enough to destroy all life in the galaxies.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   

No, there would'nt be a big bang, the chances of a star or planet
actually colliding with another is incredibly slim, take into consi-
deration that the majority of our galaxy is comprised of loose
gases and microspoic particles, those won't cause any problems,
they'll just merge together as well.

Even if we had Hyperspace technology right now, we'd still be
going to the Moon and Mars, they're the closes two objects to us.

I'm not saying we'll have big huge fleet of ships or anything,
but if the theories prove correct, the first prototype engine will
be created by then.

Originally posted by RedGolem
Yes something similar to a big bang would happen from the way I heard it explained. It is the black holes colliding that would cause most of the bang. That in turn will relice a but load of energy. The resulting effects I would think would be enough to destroy all life in the galaxies.

I can't seem to find the link, but it was from the last year or so.

Point is that it said black holes don't collide as much as they
merge, and while they do cause disruptions to nearby star,
and may actually kick some star out of the galaxy altogether,
they don't cause galaxy wide damage.

[edit on 11/24/2006 by iori_komei]

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:53 PM
link   
oh okay. Wll can there be a star outside of a galaxy if then can it survive up there?? Iean what if there was a star at end of the milky way and it harbored life if it got kicked out of our galaxy can it still harbor life this is just and example. like its jus out there in the space alone its galaxyless no galaxy want it. Can it still survive.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

denythestatusquo
then why is there all these people telling us that aliens don't exist?

How can anyone claim that they do exist if we haven't left our own solar system?

Very simple actually its called logic. We exist that's why. Furthermore we are smart enough to know this: the likelihood of other life is high and just as high that life can be more advanced than we are.

People who believe we are the only sentient life in this galaxy or the universe remind me of people that believed:

- the earth was flat
- the sun revolved around the earth
- that Jesus was god and the only sentient existance in the universe was on earth and all those lights out there were... well only lights on the ceiling.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Well can there be a star outside of a galaxy if then can it survive up there?? Iean what if there was a star at end of the milky way and it harbored life if it got kicked out of our galaxy can it still harbor life this is just and example. like its jus out there in the space alone its galaxyless no galaxy want it. Can it still survive.

Yes, there can be stars outside of galaxies.

Yes, it could survive in intergalactic space.

Well if it was violently flung out, imagine the sun leisurely traveling
at 10mph, and some person kicks it and it starts going at 60mph
all the sudden, than there might be some damage to the solar system,
but if it was just set on a gravity trajectory that flung it out of the
solar system, than the life on the planet would be fine.

A star does'nt have to be in a galaxy to survive, and as long as the
life bearing planet stayed within the life zone of the star, the beings
on the planet would be fine, not to mention they'd end up with a
spectacular night sye view that included the galaxies.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
wow well thats really amazing man. If thats possible than why are planets in galaxies i mean why wont there be all the stars in the sky without living in the galaxy i don't if this makes sense but can there be a black hole in side of a galaxy like neat some planets or some thing like that

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Considering if at any chance the human race manages to get a probe to the Andromeda Galaxy,I would not be suprised if we were to find a totally different time and space environment beyond our wildest dreams.

I`d also really be interested in the space between the milkyway and Andromeda galaxies.I wonder if there are an existence of planets inbetween these galaxies.Sort of rogue planets.I would be really interested in the development of these objects at such an isolated area.

[edit on 25-11-2006 by southern_Guardian]

[edit on 25-11-2006 by southern_Guardian]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join